Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

Seen a run through from everyone in last year’s top 12 with the exception of Colts so far. 

1. Bluecoats - what a drumline. Love the lean into weirdness with still being accessible. Great ballad. 

2. Blue Devils - honestly, I think they’ll win, BUT, I love this show. Why is this a problem? They never seem to win when I love what they’re doing. 92, 06, 11, etc. etc. 

3. Carolina Crown - strongest design since 2016. Would not be shocked if Boston tops them. Drum writing is better this year - digging it.

4. Boston - killer guard. Don’t love the horn book or drum ramming. But the kids’ talent is undeniable. 

5. Blue Stars - Unbelievable lush brass sound and a guard book that’s full of I-can’t-believe-they-just-did-that moments. 

6. Phantom - love the music. Very Phantom while getting a modern upgrade. Muse is a great fit. 

7. Cadets - great drumline. Visual book got a nice step up. Really enjoying what they have so far. 

8. Mandarins - love seeing these guys on the rise!

9. Troopers - a step up from 2022. They’re really gunning for it. Lots more demand in the visual program in terms of individual responsibilities this time around. 

10. Cavaliers - tasty percussion writing. Very underwhelmed with what they’re doing considering the greatness of the source material. Still, a fun package with Easter eggs everywhere. Enjoyed it on first viewing quite a bit, just don’t see a high competitive ceiling 

11. Colts - haven’t seen it. Always love the red team. Looking forward to them this year. 

12. No clue. This might be the single most interesting slot on finals night. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RContra said:

Seen a run through from everyone in last year’s top 12 with the exception of Colts so far. 

1. Bluecoats - what a drumline. Love the lean into weirdness with still being accessible. Great ballad. 

2. Blue Devils - honestly, I think they’ll win, BUT, I love this show. Why is this a problem? They never seem to win when I love what they’re doing. 92, 06, 11, etc. etc. 

3. Carolina Crown - strongest design since 2016. Would not be shocked if Boston tops them. Drum writing is better this year - digging it.

4. Boston - killer guard. Don’t love the horn book or drum ramming. But the kids’ talent is undeniable. 

5. Blue Stars - Unbelievable lush brass sound and a guard book that’s full of I-can’t-believe-they-just-did-that moments. 

6. Phantom - love the music. Very Phantom while getting a modern upgrade. Muse is a great fit. 

7. Cadets - great drumline. Visual book got a nice step up. Really enjoying what they have so far. 

8. Mandarins - love seeing these guys on the rise!

9. Troopers - a step up from 2022. They’re really gunning for it. Lots more demand in the visual program in terms of individual responsibilities this time around. 

10. Cavaliers - tasty percussion writing. Very underwhelmed with what they’re doing considering the greatness of the source material. Still, a fun package with Easter eggs everywhere. Enjoyed it on first viewing quite a bit, just don’t see a high competitive ceiling 

11. Colts - haven’t seen it. Always love the red team. Looking forward to them this year. 

12. No clue. This might be the single most interesting slot on finals night. 

Agree with most placements but I would switch

Boston & Crown 

Blue Stars & Regiment

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

the 12 corps scoring highest at semi finals

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

Anyone who counts Colts out is in for a big surprise.

HUGE surprise!!!!!

9 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

From what I've seen and heard so far this year...

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

3. Carolina Crown

4. Cadets

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Mandarins

8. Blue Stars

9. Blue Knights

10. Cavaliers

11. Crossmen

12. Madison Scouts

Interesting Cadets, Scouts, Cavaliers and Crossmen  predictions....

I've seen Cavaliers live, and on video, and Cadets.... They're both close and sound better than Regiment... Blue Stars sound very good. BLUE knights sound great too. Troopers sound great too 

I think you will be pleased by a lot more corps than you think for this year!

Nice prediction, but I think it's wildly off!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Interesting Cadets, Scouts, Cavaliers and Crossmen  predictions....

I've seen Cavaliers live, and on video, and Cadets.... They're both close and sound better than Regiment... Blue Stars sound very good. BLUE knights sound great too. Troopers sound great too 

I think you will be pleased by a lot more corps than you think for this year!

Nice prediction, but I think it's wildly off!

Honestly, I have not heard Cavies this year, but I didn't care for them last year. I think the top corps just keep getting better and better, but I just expect Cadets, Phantom and Mandarins to make the biggest pushes this year. Also, I was not impressed with Boston or Troopers. 

• Like 2