DCI Central Indiana 2023

2 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

It's a great show. I really love Crown, Regiment, Cavies and Blue Stars. It's going to be really interesting to see how things pan out between Blue Stars, Regiment and Cavies this year. I am just in love with the Blue Stars show most (between the 3). It's really fantastic and has so much potential. 

Don't forget Mandarins finished 2022 something like .5 behind Cavies.  Those two corps are probably starting the season pretty even.  I'm looking forward to seeing the West coast corps. 💚

Edited by Cop
  • Like 4

Tagging onto my review of Cavaliers from a few posts ago I wanted to reiterate just how cool this show could be if they can finesse and shape this music book while cleaning the visual package. This could be a late bloomer. I can see this show surprising a lot of folks as it cleans. 

Ok, so Blue Stars had another fantastic run. The show is fantastic and certainly captivated the crowd tonight. They are clearly a very talented corps. Brass is very very good. If there is any slight criticism of the music arrangements it may be too many technical exercises in scales and tonguing without the payoff of thematic development. But there is plenty of great music in the book as well. They march with confidence. Percussion is doing very well. Props made more sense to me tonight. I still need more reads on this show to understand the visual more so than the music. Guard is nicely staged and colorful. The color changes in the uniforms is really well done. As with Cavaliers, Blue Stars are bringing a somewhat complex story/concept to the field. I am anxious to see where this goes. There is no doubt that they have outstanding talent. They are already performing very well. 

My thoughts on Phantom Regiment have not changed from last night. This is a very tight, well integrated and focused show. It flows very logically. Music GE is outstanding. Visual GE should do very well though my guess is that they will change quite a bit from the company front to the end of the show. Brass is fantastic. Percussion is playing a great book and just needs to clean. They sound wonderful. I am loving their guard this year. Uniforms look sharp. It's a strong start for Phantom. They are definitely in the hunt for a top 5 slot. But more important than scores is they should bring down the house at Finals. 

I will have some thoughts on Carolina in the morning. They were incredibly good and their brass is just unreal at times. Percussion is also playing their tootsies off. Guard was fantastic and the whole production is focused, fun, stimulating and professional. They will be one clean corps come Finals. 

30 minutes ago, Cop said:

Don't forget Mandarins finished 2022 something like .5 behind Cavies.  Those two corps are probably starting the season pretty even.  I'm looking forward to seeing the West coast corps. 💚

Mandarins are going to shock quite a few people tomorrow night. After seeing Sinnerman last weekend, they are for real. 

• Like 9

Question/thought about Phantom: what purpose does offsetting their pit by 10 yards serve their show design? Usually when a corps shifts their pit it’s because they’re utilizing the now-empty down-center space for particular staging highlights, but I didn’t see anything like that. And then their entire closer is performed using the center of the pit (the 40 yardline) as their line of symmetry. I don’t feel like the show would lose anything if it were all centered on the 50 instead. Any ideas regarding the choice?

Really enjoyed last evening's show...Again, FLO did a good job producing the audio/visual and the corps performed with enthusiasm...I just thought that the spread between 6th and 4th was too wide..imo...peace

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I am excited for Cavaliers ... Ultimately this show is so much better in design and focus than the 2022 version. There is a LOT to work with here. Let's see where they go with it. 

This. It feels like a real first draft at this point, and the members are soft on the edges (with the exception of the battery, who is clearly ahead of the rest of the corps when it comes to performance level). That said, the show is already more satisfying than last year's show was by Finals night, so that's not a bad starting point.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

This. It feels like a real first draft at this point, and the members are soft on the edges (with the exception of the battery, who is clearly ahead of the rest of the corps when it comes to performance level). That said, the show is already more satisfying than last year's show was by Finals night, so that's not a bad starting point.

I think I heard that a goal for this season was to get the full show on the field. As more of a skeleton then trying to flesh out the earlier parts of the show. In the past they have usually come out without a full closer on the field.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Narrow said:

Shorter season than normal. Maybe preferable to come out the gate with less dirt than usual or gotta hope you have a gem of a show that won't need too many changes.

Nah, better to get a whole show out and clean than most of a show that is a little cleaner...

Edited by jjeffeory

I'm very close with one of the members of the Cavies. After the show, he said they are all totally exhausted from intense rehearsals. The show is kicking their butt. Also, he said many members were not pleased with their performance. I think they knew it was not their best. The morale in the corps is huge, though. They see this as a love letter to all 75 years of fellow Cavies and are really putting their heart into it. Give them time. This show is a beast, but once they clean it, it's gonna be magical. 

Personally, I'm glad to see a show without all the props. Very much like the recent Into the Woods revival on Broadway, it's stripped down and focuses on what really matters - the marching, the music, and the corps itself. Giant Sugar cubes are cool, don't get me wrong, but it will be interesting to see how this more classic, yet very modern take, will fair against the propfests of the other corps as they turn this thing into a well-oiled "Machine."

Edited by DCI Fan 9287928734
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3