Summer Music Games in Cincinnati 2023-07-05

5 hours ago, brassboy said:

I think Bloo has their work cut out for them regarding setup and teardown time. From salute to last cutoff, their show clocked in at just under 14 minutes, and corps have 17 minute slots. It took them a long time just to set up their tarps today. I know they’ll get faster, but still.

First show and first time coming on the field.  I bet they will figure it out by San Antonio which I believe is when it counts for the first time.  They do have the longest show this year in performance time!  It still flies by. 

• Like 1

This is going to be one hell of a dog fight !

I predict that 1st position might not be settled before finals night in Indy and they will be lead changes quite often all summer long.

If it pans out this way, we are in for an incredible and exciting summer !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

First show and first time coming on the field.  I bet they will figure it out by San Antonio which I believe is when it counts for the first time.  They do have the longest show this year in performance time!  It still flies by. 

That's not necessarily a good thing. More show means more show to spend time cleaning.

1 hour ago, frankdave said:

This is going to be one hell of a dog fight !

I predict that 1st position might not be settled before finals night in Indy and they will be lead changes quite often all summer long.

If it pans out this way, we are in for an incredible and exciting summer !!

This would be best scenario IMO.  Especially since there’s been gradual building frustration over judging favoritism in recent years. Keeping it truly competitive with close scores will be more engaging and diffuse judging criticism.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Neither can I. It's fun though. Trying to judge these shows from a Flo streaming perspective is just not easy. When you're there live you get a better perspective. 

I was there, Section C Row Y.

I thought Crown was clean, but milk toast.

Bloo brought the flavor, but was dirty. Their brass has a sultry sizzle to it that stands out.

Boston was great and that guard was on 🔥 .

I was soooo busy connecting with people after the show, I missed the scores and was surprised by the outcome, but They're all close, so no biggie 

Music City was fun. Troopers were great!

I was surprised to see Cincy Tradition score so high. 

Saints provided a great service to their members...

I'm just trying to not worry about scores and placement this year.

There's a lot of superb playing happening,  so 👌.  Enjoy all!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Neither can I. It's fun though. Trying to judge these shows from a Flo streaming perspective is just not easy. When you're there live you get a better perspective. 

I have noted before that more and more of the viewing audience experiences drum corps via "multi-cam" each year (much the same way that NFL audience experience changed in the Kosel era with multi-cam viewing). Might you consider the notion that DCI could assign a "multi-cam" judge in order to align with an ever-growing audience viewing perspective?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, denverjohn said:

I have noted before that more and more of the viewing audience experiences drum corps via "multi-cam" each year (much the same way that NFL audience experience changed in the Kosel era with multi-cam viewing). Might you consider the notion that DCI could assign a "multi-cam" judge in order to align with an ever-growing audience viewing perspective?

Absolutely not. You can't rely on camera operators in order to adjudicate. 

• Like 7