Battle At The Alamo(dome) - July 22,2023

28 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Mandarins are playing with house money. Out of everyone currently in the top 7, Mandarins are the only one that wasn't supposed to be here. 

They had their highest regional finish ever last night, they are four points higher than at this point last season, and their highest score ever in world class 90.013 (2022 finals night) is about to be obliterated. 

Phantom and/or Cadets passing them for 5th is not a diss or a bad thing. The simple fact that we are TALKING about those corps possibly passing Mandarins for 5th is a major accomplishment. 

Of everyone in the top 7, Mandarins have nothing to lose as again no one thought they would be here. They need to just let loose, throw everything and the kitchen sink at this show, and whatever happens, it's all good. 

Cause at the end of the of the day, anything higher than 10th at finals, is another record breaker in their corps history. 

Mandarins dominated Open class for years! It was only a matter of time before they rose, and with Freelancers and SCV gone from CCal, they're a natural replacement.

Edited by jjeffeory

12 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

@spacewill @MandarinMom @DAYGO @Metalbinky @Jnecker  @Maleguena1988

I just want to salute our kids and say how proud I am of all the performers who absolutely killed it today! 

Never in a million years did I think I would be a DCI Dad, but seeing my boy out there tonight, giving it his very best and bringing 14,000 to their feet, I wouldn't trade this feeling I have right now for anything. 

I hope all of you are just as proud as I am. 

I’m so glad to have seen your kids perform live. I was in the third row and two seats from the 50 yard line, and absolutely loved every moment of it. Cavies and Mandies melted my face off. Just absolute in your face, air pushing, sonic slicing madness. It was amazing. All of the parents of kids in the activity deserve to be extremely proud of the hard work their kids have put in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Crown 1990 said:

Define safe?

Nothing too “out of the box” for any group. Each corp is playing to their identity. Not that it’s bad at all, but there’s nothing groundbreaking or a show that just screams “this is going to be one of the greats remembered for years to come”

57 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

What's amazing was that 2015 corps was a dark horse most of the season. Then they literally went dark with those black uniforms. I should look at the recaps from the last couple weeks of the season and see if their visual scores were affected by that change.

I remember they were killing it in the performance captions while GE had hit  a ceiling

15 hours ago, lawdn said:

@saxfreq1128 should be here to say “I told you so” now that we doubters see Crown has a GE monster growing.

That didn’t pan out score-wise but I’m happy to offer told you so’s over Bloo guard 🫡

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

That didn’t pan out score-wise but I’m happy to offer told you so’s over Bloo guard 🫡

I view Crown’s sophistication this year akin to Star in 93. In that it’s very different for its time. I don’t see Crown magically becoming as fierce and energetic as Inferno. The show doesn’t call for it. And I don’t see the GE judges rewarding this show any by the end of the season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Nothing too “out of the box” for any group. Each corp is playing to their identity. Not that it’s bad at all, but there’s nothing groundbreaking or a show that just screams “this is going to be one of the greats remembered for years to come”

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? I get wanting them to change things up, but I’ve noticed that we only really seem to demand this of the corps that have already proven themselves to be forward thinking and are now comfortable in their style. I totally get asking corps like Bloo and BD to think even further outside of the box and abandon their formulas, but honestly, why is it always on them? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think people take for granted how weird some of these corps and their styles already are…

Like - Bloo’s show is objectively strange. It’s not strange for Bloo right now, but who else is doing what they’re doing? I get wanting them to change things up, but I’ve noticed that we only really seem to demand this of the corps that have already proven themselves to be forward thinking and are now comfortable in their style. I totally get asking corps like Bloo and BD to think even further outside of the box and abandon their formulas, but honestly, why is it always on them? 

In small part because we at Vanguard lost our way at the moment. 😞