Bluecoats 2024

9 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Let's do a Yeats poem next.  

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   

Slouches from Canton to be born?

I think their show will be called “99” and will feature the poet Jay-Z and his words of “I’ve got 99 problems but…”.

If this happens, I’ll die. Drum corp aint ready. 

3 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

There are several things I think are key in identifying a Bluecoats show. The obvious are props, body movement, and electronics. 

But the one thing I really admire and find to be incredibly cool each year is their use of polyrhythms in their brass and percussion  arrangements. The piece they play this year, right before the “Bloo” shout from the corps members, is you just pure groove. It reminded me of the ending of  2015’s piece, Shaker Loops. Specifically before  the Bloo shout with the trumpet echoes….This is becoming like a trademark for the corps, and I am there for it. 

This said and being on topic, unique time signatures from “prog” bands like Rush, Tool, or Zappa come to mind as possible material for a show. King Crimson and possibly Mars Volta as well. There could be a mix they try from the jazz, hip hop, or R&B as well. 

I've wanted someone to do a Mars Volta-based show for fifteen years or so now. Yes please.

With the obvious caveat that with very few exceptions (one specific one that should be obvious in mind), musical selections come from the show, rather than the show coming from musical selections.

10 hours ago, Lance said:

I'm just wondering what new pieces they'll come up with that mind#### everybody with rhythm again.  They've introduced me to the best new stuff for the past 10 years, I swear.  

I keep saying this hoping some staff somewhere sees it and explores.

There's a wealth of African traditional and Afro-pop contemporary musicians doing wild polyrhythmic stuff and counter-melodic stuff that would be crazy impressive to pull off on the field.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i will be auditioning for bloo24 on trumpet this year, for real. no take backs. i hope to be on that field next year. savings account has been slowly filling since i pulled out of last years audition process. i regret not auditioning last year with every fiber of my being. 

Yay!   Totally go for it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I love how I am just referred to as "fart"

I warms my heart. 

And your pants?

Since Crown had great success with an Arthurian show this year, perhaps Bluecoats will consider doing something Napoleanic. A real change of course. They could do the Eroica Symphony and of course 1812 Overture, maybe throw in some French peasant songs. Napoleon crowning himself Emperor

Just heard back from their design team. They loved the idea but decided to take to take it in a slightly different direction...

Abba Waterloo GIF - Abba Waterloo Napoleon - Discover ...

I kid. I kid. Love you Bloo. Keep being you.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

But what I’m saying is that the design portion of the visual caption (visual analysis) is what Bloo beat BD in. And they beat BD in guard at various points this season as well. 

To win proficiency against BD, a corps is going to need to hire instructors with the same level of visual expertise as BD. The body movement vocabulary and execution at BD is on a different plane of existence than other corps almost entirely due to their instructional staff, not design staff. 

I just tend to conclude it’s not just instruction.

It’s having a corps of so called 5-star recruits who have already toiled away at other corps, who understand what it means and takes to have a corps-wide visual performance. A few other corps are close to beating them, but the differences just cannot be overcome without a truly insane show a la Babylon or Down Side Up.