19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How much day-to-day control can someone have on a bingo operation from Hawaii?   Seems that either

1- There would be someone local running the day-to-day bingo operation, which begs question ‘What value does Hawaii guy add?’, or

2- The bingo operation is running without close board oversight, which could lead to other problems such as funds going missing (as it did in past).  

Ugh… famous saying just before my group lost their non profit status for a few years “well this is the way we always did it”. 
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ugh… famous saying just before my group lost their non profit status for a few years “well this is the way we always did it”. 
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Now in the corporate world we've changed the phrase we use to "tribal knowledge." Unfortunately, when things get passed down, there is often not a filter in place to catch things that don't work well, run counter to accountability and inclusion or are just straight up wrong and dumb. Too much credit is given to "well person x does a decent job and they don't give us any problems." That's not the way to improve things. 

I am being purposefully vague in my comments because I simply do not have the knowledge of non-profits that some of you cats do. I'm in evaluate and learn mode. But I will say that this thread has mostly been very informative and amicable and I, for one, appreciate the dialogue. Keep teaching me stuff....work is boring and my brain is starting to lose steam. (Probably doesn't help that I have over 220 hours of PTO accrued because I never take time off.)

• Like 3

Well, we are in a holding pattern, and all that can be done is wait it out. The next visible measures of performance will be execution of the audition camps, the coordination of the show, performance on the field, and actual logistical movement of a tour outside of California. 

We are entirely dependent on just waiting and see what results follow through what is officially communicated. 

Going back to Sep. 2022 and evaluating where they were then, and where they are now in Sep 2023 I think most will agree they are not in a stronger place than where they were this time last year. 

For one, we didn't know they were delinquent (which they actually were anyway), and they were still members of DCI.  They will be starting 2024 with less than 1/4th in reserves they started the 2022 season with (according to verbally disclosed information from the Treasurer). The last CA DOJ delinquency notice is still not even a month old.  

I highly doubt it's being considered, but I really hope whoever is planning the tour logistics they have a fail safe reserve of funding that in the event they know they will not be able to make it back home that wherever they are they can just pack up and go home, or give everyone a plane ticket and uber from wherever they are in the county to wherever home is for everyone. 

I would recommend touring members keep their phones charged, and an emergency credit card on hand with an available balance to get them out of a sticky situation. Sufficient to call an uber anywhere in the country, get them to an airport, and enough to eat off and hotels for a few days. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:21 AM, craiga said:

Yes, it would mean they would be the first World Class corps on in every show until San Antonio, and no appearance fees all summer. Also, they will not have a vote. Basically, they would be classified as a first year corps.

Does anyone know if this was also true with Spirit and Cascades, as Spirit was out in 2022 and Cascades as well.....what else is weird is this............back in the day, if you made finals 3 years or more in a row, you remained a full member for the following year regardless of competitive placement.  Example....the Kilts were in finals for the first 4 years of DCI, then fell to 28th, but were still a full member for the 1977 season (and they did get back into finals as well).   Personally, I think that it is a bit harsh on a corps that was in every final from 1972 through 2022, then is off in 2023 to get their fiscal house in order, to have to literally start over with the organization (DCI).   

7 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Does anyone know if this was also true with Spirit and Cascades, as Spirit was out in 2022 and Cascades as well.....what else is weird is this............back in the day, if you made finals 3 years or more in a row, you remained a full member for the following year regardless of competitive placement.  Example....the Kilts were in finals for the first 4 years of DCI, then fell to 28th, but were still a full member for the 1977 season (and they did get back into finals as well).   Personally, I think that it is a bit harsh on a corps that was in every final from 1972 through 2022, then is off in 2023 to get their fiscal house in order, to have to literally start over with the organization (DCI).   

Personally, I think that it is a bit harsh on a corps that was in every final from 1972 through 2022, then is off in 2023 to get their fiscal house in order, to have to literally start over with the organization (DCI).

Those are the rules.  SCV was aware or should have been aware of the consequences.  The voluntary step away has a different re-entry than a suspension.  Plus there was and still is a lot to be done “to get their fiscal house in order” and it involves the state of California and the IRS.  Not to mention parents and members.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Personally, I think that it is a bit harsh on a corps that was in every final from 1972 through 2022, then is off in 2023 to get their fiscal house in order, to have to literally start over with the organization (DCI).

Those are the rules.  SCV was aware or should have been aware of the consequences.  The voluntary step away has a different re-entry than a suspension.  Plus there was and still is a lot to be done “to get their fiscal house in order” and it involves the state of California and the IRS.  Not to mention parents and members.

Well, another way to package this is - a premier corps that never missed a finals in 50 YEARS, was, due to mismanagement and incompetence, forced to withdraw from the 2023 tour. DCI is justified to be very concerned about member safety and whether this leadership team, most of whom are the same people who already failed once, can organize, pay for, and complete a full tour. It’s bad now. Imagine what it would look like stranding 150 kids somewhere in the middle of the country because the money ran out. Going on first at the contest should be the last thing anybody cares about. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4

When I raced motorcycles (local amateur level) we didn't run qualification laps. One's placement on the starting grid at the first race was based on one's points from the previous year. If one was new to the activity or didn't race the previous season and had no points, welp............ to the back of the grid you go, and if there were more than a few they sorted those out by their racing numbers.  

It's more than likely SCV was entirely cool with this set of rules, because well, it will never happen to them.

There is no data from the previous competitive year to rank SCV. 

Well, look at it this way.  People will have butts in the seats earlier so these other corps will have a bigger audience.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Well, look at it this way.  People will have butts in the seats earlier so these other corps will have a bigger audience.

And some butts will be bigger than others... 🤷‍♂️ 😂 (I don't know why, but that was the first thing that come to mind. Well, I do after last year, but not sure that I should share.)

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

16 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

We are assuming that SCV will return at the same performance level as when they departed in 2022.  

I’m not sure this will be the case.  A portion of potential members may look at SCV wondering if marching there is worth the risk of tour being cancelled in spring or getting stranded mid-season.   Others will have parents who perform minimal due diligence on the internet & say nope.  

I know SCV claims 900+ interest forms have been sent; but other Corps report similar (i.e., Troopers 1500; I believe other numbers have been posted but I don’t recall details).  What isn’t clear (for all Corps) is how many potential members sent interest forms to multiple Corps.  I’m pretty sure there is some overlap, but no one is tracking this.   So a member may get contract offers from SCV and, let’s go with Troopers.   Who do you choose?

SCV may be younger, or smaller, and less experienced then we are used to.  Competing early may be entirely appropriate.  2024 will be successful if they make it to Indy with all kids fed and no one hurt (physically or emotionally).  Their season may end on Friday of finals week and that is ok. 

• Like 1