Cadets Suspend for 2024

Just now, Tony Flores said:

I'm not going to get in a titfortat but the price of fuel, food, insurance, housing has made the traditional tour unsustainable. I dont have the answers, but the causes are right in front of us

Definitely not wrong, but also so much focus on the big corps and not enough on the little ones. More corps is better for the activity. More corps means more fans, more sales, more fundraising, more merch sales etc etc. But with the loss of the "regional" and "local" drum corps and more focus on national talent, there's not foundational support anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Definitely not wrong, but also so much focus on the big corps and not enough on the little ones. More corps is better for the activity. More corps means more fans, more sales, more fundraising, more merch sales etc etc. But with the loss of the "regional" and "local" drum corps and more focus on national talent, there's not foundational support anymore. 

With Open Class we aren't even guaranteed to get into the shows we want to - World Class gets first dibs and if they take up all the spots OC is pushed aside. The entire tour is set up for corps to fail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Unfortunately there are not enough corps remaining to do a regional touring model. That ship has sailed. Corps are performing in less shows, which means less money. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Regional and local focuses could and should be a pathway to nurturing something closer to the standardized np revenue streams like civic, state, and federal grants as well as large individual and institutional donors. This could and should all be part of mission alignment in which orgs honor and represent the place they are from and feed the local culture and economy. I'm sorry, I know that's a sore spot for Cadets, but it is for Vanguard as well, so it must be said.

Yes costs are going up, but the old model, which stopped taking genuine locality into account a long time ago, isn't working. The standardized np model is designed to rely on local communities and partnerships to sustain. Other nps outside of drum corps survived the pandemic era? Why? I'd argue bc they used this standardized model. Drum corps have always gotten their money in weird ways and that's proving to be unsustainable.

I'm just so sorry Cadets. I really feel you big time right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Regional and local focuses could and should be a pathway to nurturing something closer to the standardized np revenue streams like civic, state, and federal grants as well as large individual and institutional donors. This could and should all be part of mission alignment in which orgs honor and represent the place they are from and feed the local culture and economy. I'm sorry, I know that's a sore spot for Cadets, but it is for Vanguard as well, so it must be said.

Yes costs are going up, but the old model, which stopped taking genuine locality into account a long time ago, isn't working. The standardized np model is designed to rely on local communities and partnerships to sustain. Other nps outside of drum corps survived the pandemic era? Why? I'd argue bc they used this standardized model. Drum corps have always gotten their money in weird ways and that's proving to be unsustainable.

I'm just so sorry Cadets. I really feel you big time right now.

Very true. The worst part is the Cadets were working on building local roots here. Things were in the works and supposed to build a local community with the return of the Erie Thunderbirds, getting involved in WGI. Now I wonder how much of that will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

My son is devastated.   No words.....

Sorry for your son brother. That really sucks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3