Off topic post... CPR

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

I am going to use some "admin priveledge" and blatantly break the rules here and post something off topic.. but I suppose in a roundabout way it isn't really. We are all talking about health and wellbeing in the activity on a constant basis... This is a very physically demanding activity that we do and cardiac arrest is not something totally outside of the realms of possibility... What would you do if someone dropped in front of you? Would you know what to do?

I wont go into detail, but yesterday, fate placed my family in a situation where we found ourselves having to administer CPR to a man. He literally dropped dead right in front of while we were out to breakfast. What had happened was patently obvious and there was no time to react. Seconds absolutely mattered and we acted. 999 (thats 911 over here) was called IMMEDIATELY by my wife and she was a rock star relaying information to them and to us from them... but the ambulance still took around fifteen minutes to arrive so we had no choice. My daughter was the first to administer compressions followed by me. A defib device was available but unable to administer a shock. I simply do not have words to say how proud I am of my wife and daughter as they were absolute heroes today.

We just found out that now, nearly 24 hours later the man is still alive. He is very ill but he is still alive with his kids by his side.

If you have not been CPR trained.. please, I absolutely beg you... go learn. If you have been trained but it's been a long time... go refresh. Don't wait.. do it now. Learn about defib devices and know where they are and how to use them. (Which does make me wonder.. do corps carry defibs on the road with them?) I last trained nearly 30 years ago and thought I would never have to use those skills..

Well, yesterday was never. 

Your family saved that man in a time where many people just walk away.  Or video it.

I got my CPR training when I was a little league mom and scorekeeper.  Jim got his for work.  I really should go for a refresher.

Very good advice. 

• Like 2

What a heroic story and yes, in this age of corps safety focus is very applicable. I did my initial training many years ago when I started coaching youth hockey. Now my employer offers regular refresher courses each year. It's free, it's easy, it's not in any way a waste of your time. Do it. 

• Like 3

I leaned CPR when I was 17. Honestly, it has been so long I think I wouldn't be much help these days. I definitely should get a refresher. This should be something that is offered to ALL the corps members and staff in interest of member safety if not already provided.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

I do not know CPR,
But when I was DM at Boston the first thing med staff did during rehearsal was pull us aside and explain how to use the AED we carried literally everywhere and made sure one of us knew CPR. Very very thankful that it never came to that, but that AED was carried with us everywhere we went and was always near a podium or on our person. 

• Like 5

I'm am ex paramedic and ex FF rescue squad medic, learning basic ALS (Advanced Life Support) helps 1st responders save lives. Highly recommend CPR, AED, First Aid (cuts, bleeding, etc)

Edited by Tony Flores

A coworker died of a heart attack at work this spring. In August the entire staff was trained in CPR and AED usage. I wish that had been the case before such a tragedy. It takes very little time (our training was 10 minutes) and can make a very big difference. We also did a stop the bleed training that was excellent.

Edited by Mad Mello

I’m required to keep mine up to date in order to maintain my dental license. I think all drum corps staff should be certified as well. I know I’ve seen stories in the news where kids have died during football practice and none of the coaches knew CPR. (Which boggles my mind.)