Cadets and bankruptcy

39 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Edit: just told sovie company is a third party. Not a lawyer so can’t answer question.

If Cadets assets are frozen because of the bankruptcy….

why is there a link to buy Cadets souvenirs on Facebook (Museum of Drum Corps History group). 🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻🤷🏻

A third party (pepwear) sold Cadets merch (also SCV, Cavies & BD?).  They provide a %g of what’s sold.  I assume they are liquidating their inventory.  Not sure who’ll get the proceeds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

A statement that the membership was revoked and why.  A declaration of commitment to safety.  An explanation of DCI's values and what the activity actually stands for.  A demonstration of public leadership from the top down of what their priorities are and what member corps are required and and expected to do to protect minors and young adults.  

DCI already has policies in place for member corps, and has acted to suspend an organization once allegations of abuse were presented to them (SOA in 2022). What, specifically would you consider "a demonstration of public leadership" that would be more meaningful than the programs already in place that comply with SafeSport guides for promoting member safety?

The complaint that brought this forward was from 1982, not 2022. Unless you're angry for DCI not retroactively doing something 40 years ago about a situation that they had no idea even existed, not sure what you're looking for. 

And yes, since they are still named as a party in the complaint - the last one still alive - it would be suicidally stupid for them to say anything. Let it get to court (if it's not dismissed before then), and let the process play out. If you have specific concerns about specific corps who are courting specific dangers, there are multiple resources at your fingertips to report your concerns. If you want copies of each corps' member safety policies and member handbooks, you can always pick up the phone and call their offices to request copies or download them directly online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

A statement that the membership was revoked and why.  A declaration of commitment to safety.  An explanation of DCI's values and what the activity actually stands for.  A demonstration of public leadership from the top down of what their priorities are and what member corps are required and and expected to do to protect minors and young adults.  

Off the top of my head.  Sorry for the angry soapbox.

Mike

I'd be very surprised if DCI's legal counsel would allow them to do that at this time.  It would not be prudent.  

20 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

DCI already has policies in place for member corps, and has acted to suspend an organization once allegations of abuse were presented to them (SOA in 2022). What, specifically would you consider "a demonstration of public leadership" that would be more meaningful than the programs already in place that comply with SafeSport guides for promoting member safety?

We have no transparent way of knowing if this is being rigorously enforced though. Transparency is what allows stakeholders to believe that they are. My own interactions with DCI on such matters are not encouraging.

Also, this resource has free, much-more-robust training options that organizations could implement tomorrow: https://www.safesportinternational.com/courses-and-resources/ . They provide certificates of completion for free too.

The complaint that brought this forward was from 1982, not 2022. Unless you're angry for DCI not retroactively doing something 40 years ago about a situation that they had no idea even existed, not sure what you're looking for. 

Partner with an org that specializes in youth safeguarding and figure it out. The above resource says that "Remedy" for mistakes and violations against survivors is part of safe sport principles. DCI doesn't have to reinvent the wheel or throw their hands up in bewilderment here...

If you have specific concerns about specific corps who are courting specific dangers, there are multiple resources at your fingertips to report your concerns.

They are full of bias and have proven not to meet international safe sport recommendations and best practices. Even the US Center for Safe Sport has been called out in national news sources for failing survivors who report. This has to get better, and relying on the USCSS is a weak approach, just as I said it would be when they first implemented it.

If you want copies of each corps' member safety policies and member handbooks, you can always pick up the phone and call their offices to request copies or download them directly online. 

On average, the policies are wimpy. SOA stands out here as having robust policies... now... and look what it took to get them there.

And while the non profits are required to provide these policies to the public on request, I had to shove my own corps to improve said policies. And it was a shove because they were not initially welcoming of feedback without more force. This process shouldn't be like pulling teeth. These policies should be living documents that are updated after yearly review. Before my shove, they hadn't been updated since 2018.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

....DCI not retroactively doing something 40 years ago about a situation that they had no idea....

You can't make a statement like this and say a few sentences later "let it play out in court". Not unless a judge dismisses dci as a defendant.

But yeah, dci's lawyers def wont want dci saying anything about this.

And for decades dci kept the mo of doing everything possible to avoid being culpable as a governing body when it comes to cases of abuse, always shifting the argument to say each member corps is in charge of policing itself.  Truly disgusting and cowardly in every way. They didn't take an active role in getting those policies enacted activity-wide until they had no choice but to do so.  Rational adults should be scrutinous of the degree to which they're actually being enforced. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

It was up yesterday but just told third party company. Not a lawyer so can’t explain it

PepWear owns the assets. 
PepWear is liquidating at 50% off the inventory that they have always owned outright and warehoused.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Snagged a ladies polo.  I’ll be at several shows this summer and I’ll wear it as often as I can. 

Good on you! But fair warning to anyone sitting near you - that shirt is gonna be awfully ripe by the end of the summer! 🤣 

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Lance said:

You can't make a statement like this and say a few sentences later "let it play out in court". Not unless a judge dismisses dci as a defendant.

But yeah, dci's lawyers def wont want dci saying anything about this.

And for decades dci kept the mo of doing everything possible to avoid being culpable as a governing body when it comes to cases of abuse, always shifting the argument to say each member corps is in charge of policing itself.  Truly disgusting and cowardly in every way. They didn't take an active role in getting those policies enacted activity-wide until they had no choice but to do so.  Rational adults should be scrutinous of the degree to which they're actually being enforced. 

Bit harsh.  DCI has so little power..even less so BITD.  It's not like they wield amazing executive powers.  They may very well be not culpable according to their very limited powers and scope.