my favorite Cadets shows

Just putting it out there that 1996 is so underrated.

• Like 7

Angels and Demons is the only right answer. Top 10 all time DCI.

• Like 3

I saw too few Cadets shows in person so will limit my comments to those.

1987: impeccable. For me, still one of the touchstones of drum corps. I saw it live only at semis. The brilliance of their relatively minimalist visual paired with rich intricate music. It set up a contrast with a superb SCV show I also loved. I don’t know how anyone could pick a winner, but I was fine with this one winning.

2013: my reintroduction to Cadets with terrific music and drill and such impressive technical fundamentals.

2015: at San Antonio they had put in the near-final closer and finished 1st IIRC. I thought they would win at that point. I think they changed unis after that. By finals week it was clear they had been passed up but I was a huge fan of their drill and music.

2018: so emotional, and after all they had been through, it was so impressive that they didn’t water down their technical demand, even if they couldn’t get it all clean. So glad I saw it live.

2023: thrilling to see Cadets coming out to take on the challenge of rising back to the top. One of my favorite shows of a great summer. It makes it sadder that this was the final Cadets show but at least they were The Cadets all the way to the finish.

I have loved other shows I have seen in the recordings but in my experience, the Cadets’ shows, like most corps’, can’t be fully appreciated other than live.

P.S. based on other posts here I am going to dig up all the recordings of 90s Cadets shows I can.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 3

There is only my favorite Cadet show, today!

And that one is the corps' 1990 championship, A Bernstein Celebration. In fact, it is one of my favorite championship shows ever; relying on artistry, quality, and elan instead of "baby throwing" effect ... well, until it did.

Overture to Candide * Mass * Somewhere (from West Side Story) * Fancy Free were the Bernstein pieces they celebrated. I have always thought of the show as an adult show, both musical and visual effects leaning subtle, satisfying, "Ahhh"-inducing, again until ....

... the trademark finale -- both musical and visual -- to "Rocky Point Holiday" expanded -- then REWOUND -- before stretching end zone to end zone (the second time in the show, as a matter of fact) as we all roared as potently as did the musicians.

A one-of-a-kind wonder for the ages.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Hill said:

There is only my favorite Cadet show, today!

And that one is the corps' 1990 championship, A Bernstein Celebration. In fact, it is one of my favorite championship shows ever; relying on artistry, quality, and elan instead of "baby throwing" effect ... well, until it did.

Overture to Candide * Mass * Somewhere (from West Side Story) * Fancy Free were the Bernstein pieces they celebrated. I have always thought of the show as an adult show, both musical and visual effects leaning subtle, satisfying, "Ahhh"-inducing, again until ....

... the trademark finale -- both musical and visual -- to "Rocky Point Holiday" expanded -- then REWOUND -- before stretching end zone to end zone (the second time in the show, as a matter of fact) as we all roared as potently as did the musicians.

A one-of-a-kind wonder for the ages.

The Cadets in 1990 were super clean. Very mature show. Subtle, musical, artistic, and the sheer definition of professional playing and marching. That was a tough competitive year. I believe 6 corps all won regionals that season. Top 7 or 8 shows were all fantastic. Cavaliers and Star of Indiana were nothing short of amazing and championship caliber. Not to mention Blue Devils fabulous Tommy show. Phantom and SCV were also outstanding. It took until about a week and a half before finals that it looked like The Cadets might be the lead dog heading into Allentown and then Finals. Great season and one that I will always remember, and on top of it all was that brilliant Cadets show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1997 is perhaps my favorite.  I still remember being gobsmacked first time I saw it.  The rest of DCI was standing still in comparison.  

OTOH Cadets shows I didn't like are few and far between.

• Like 8

So many to choose from, but if I have to pick one, it would be 1993.  They basically took that amazing 1992 show concept and ramped it up to 15.   Seeing them perform live in Denver that year was a real treat!

Edited by wormster79
  • Like 3