The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

2 minutes ago, flammaster said:

:whistle:

• Like 1

i've posted this one before. wretched movie, but this cue is pretty amazing. play it from the beginning, and you'll understand why i think bk and other corps that aren't afraid of experimentation could do some good stuff with it.

Edited by Lance

22 hours ago, Lance said:

i've posted this one before. wretched movie, but this cue is pretty amazing. play it from the beginning, and you'll understand why i think bk and other corps that aren't afraid of experimentation could do some good stuff with it.

I watched it on Netflix a few weeks ago. Really awful. But I was also intrigued by the music. It actually reminded me a lot of Elliot Goldenthal. So much so that I looked it up on IMDB to see. (Obviously, I was wrong.) This would've certainly fit in with BK's theme last year.

Although hostrauser mentioned it nearly a decade ago (in a long catalogue of worthy pieces), I still come back to Ravel's La Valse as a work I'd really love to see on the field.  Initially conceived as a ballet, it has enough riotous whirling and climactic off-kilter melody, especially near the end - like waves of frothy wine driving a drunken dinghy to and fro - that could easily be arranged as an impressive few minutes of a show, perhaps one dealing with the mental state of a serial killer ...

Edited by Eleran

I've recently discovered (or rediscovered) three songs by mainstream artists that I think would translate incredibly well to the field.

#1: "Turning Tables" by Adele. This one would be PERFECT for the Seattle Cascades, who have done a wonderful job of blending pop songs into their recent shows, including Soundgarden in 2015, Imogen Heap in 2016, and this upcoming season they'll program some Sia. This would probably work best as a ballad, but it could also work as an opener.

#2: "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri. It blows my mind that no corps has done this as a ballad even though several marching bands have (to mixed success, I may add). This would be gorgeous in the hands of pretty much any corps.

#3: "Boy Lilikoi" by Jonsi. Yes, this is from the same album that "Grow Till Tall" is from, and it's just dying for the Blue Knights to use it as a closer. (Also, like a lot of Jonsi/Sigur Ros music, it has really strange lyrics, which is right up BK's alley.)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

54 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I've recently discovered (or rediscovered) three songs by mainstream artists that I think would translate incredibly well to the field.

#1: "Turning Tables" by Adele. This one would be PERFECT for the Seattle Cascades, who have done a wonderful job of blending pop songs into their recent shows, including Soundgarden in 2015, Imogen Heap in 2016, and this upcoming season they'll program some Sia. This would probably work best as a ballad, but it could also work as an opener.

#2: "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri. It blows my mind that no corps has done this as a ballad even though several marching bands have (to mixed success, I may add). This would be gorgeous in the hands of pretty much any corps.

#3: "Boy Lilikoi" by Jonsi. Yes, this is from the same album that "Grow Till Tall" is from, and it's just dying for the Blue Knights to use it as a closer. (Also, like a lot of Jonsi/Sigur Ros music, it has really strange lyrics, which is right up BK's alley.)

OMG yes to Jar of Hearts. Used to listen to that song all the time, it has a gorgeous melody