Does BAC overtake Cadets by San Antonio?

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The final DCI results do matter because of 2018 show seedlings. 7h place corps often performs before intermission, which is both a rehearsal and competitive disadvantage. Not to mention recruiting impact 

But what if they are 5 and 6 or 7 and 8

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I do wonder how come nuance isn't in Cadets' vocabulary. I understand run and gun is in their DNA, but that shouldn't have to translate to the way they present their productions.

Let's look through their productions in the past 10 years 

2007: explicit idea of the appreciation of music, narrated with voices literally told the audience what they loved about music. No nuance there

2008: a storyline show. Self explanatory that not much nuance would be in a show like that

2009: I believe this was the WSS show? Can't blame them for lack of nuance in something like that due to the nature of the show

2010: Storyline show of a little boy bonding with... you guessed it, Toy Souldiers

2011: another very explicit theme BUT it worked this time around because they juxtaposed two very explicit ideas that are commonplace and well known. 

2012: hey did you know this show is about Christmas? No? Let's throw some presents just to make sure

2013: This is more like it (there's a reason this might be my most favorite Cadets show ever). This show was similar to 2011 but it made the idea more abstract. This is the type of show concept the Cadets need to go for in the future in my opinion. The execution wasn't great due to the boxes but they had the right idea in this one. 

2014: It is possible to do narration and still not be explicit about everything, and this show sat on the border of that. At times, it felt too literal (ahem, that closer...), but I think that they did relatively well with the Americana theme here. I would still prefer something even more abstract like Bloo 2013 

2015: 10. 10. 10. Out of any Cadets show done, this is quite possibly the most literal show ever. Nothing left to the imagination. 

2016: I still get confused what this show is about so I guess it wasn't totally literal? But it was pretty much a storyline show that was hard to follow, so I don't think the lack of clarity was intentional

2017: I can't blame them too much for the lack of nuance in this, what with the source material they're working with and the likely limitations set forth by the Bernstein estate. Still, this show is quite literal with very little of the nuance.

The Cadets do add some diversity in that not many corps do such literal shows anymore. In that way, even though the uniforms have changed, the Cadets very much remain an old school corps; they seem averse to presenting shows that have the modernistic abstraction or nuance that most shows have. 

For me, not my cup of tea (and it is increasingly looking like it isn't the judge's cup of tea either), but I can appreciate the diversity they bring to the field. 

The one common thread in all of these productions is: George Hopkins...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The one common thread in all of these productions is: George Hopkins...

...which is sometimes a good thing and a bad thing. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

There's a work ethic history and a competitor instinct that some people will never understand about the Cadets. Going to be an interesting 5 weeks

Yes, that is true of the historical Cadets, but is it there in the current Cadets to the same degree. I'm not trying to be rude, funny, or facetious. No doubt they have a strong work ethic, but every corps better have that work ethic. The past Cadet corps had the experience in having members that were former world champions. Unless there is someone marching from 2011, that is not the case this year. I know I leaned on the vets a lot when I was a rookie. I guess what I'm getting at is how much of an "experience" advantage do the Cadets really have over BAC this year? I think their show is overall better, and that should prevent BAC from beating them at finals, but you do never know. I also think they have the ability to catch the Cavies, whereas I don't think BAC does. 

Just now, henry7184 said:

Yes, that is true of the historical Cadets, but is it there in the current Cadets to the same degree. I'm not trying to be rude, funny, or facetious. No doubt they have a strong work ethic, but every corps better have that work ethic. The past Cadet corps had the experience in having members that were former world champions. Unless there is someone marching from 2011, that is not the case this year. I know I leaned on the vets a lot when I was a rookie. I guess what I'm getting at is how much of an "experience" advantage do the Cadets really have over BAC this year? I think their show is overall better, and that should prevent BAC from beating them at finals, but you do never know. I also think they have the ability to catch the Cavies, whereas I don't think BAC does. 

we don't know and will find out to some degree

I guess I was talking more, as you suggested, historical. 

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

we don't know and will find out to some degree

I guess I was talking more, as you suggested, historical. 

I get what you are saying. GH obviously knows what it takes to make a champion - he's done it many, many times. I just wonder how the talent level of the Cadets compares to the talent they drew form maybe '82 to 2011. I love this years show, and whether it's 4th or 7th, I'll still love it. It's a great show, and that's really all the matters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I get what you are saying. GH obviously knows what it takes to make a champion - he's done it many, many times. I just wonder how the talent level of the Cadets compares to the talent they drew form maybe '82 to 2011. I love this years show, and whether it's 4th or 7th, I'll still love it. It's a great show, and that's really all the matters. 

probably similar to 89, 92, 2010 but a little younger than 12-15

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Well that was a fast answer.  

Yes it was. I called it, more so sooner than later. 

• Like 4