Carolina Crown New Ending?

it's everything going on underneath those "melodies"

I got no kick against modern jazz, unless...

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lemme guess: More B-flat Major? I mean, really, there wasn't enough already. Is the entire show in Bb? (minor for mahler, major for everything else)

From a "harmonic complexity" standpoint, Crown is no different from Madison IMO....simple, easily achieved.

Yawn.

I am in complete agreement with you. I wish there was more variety in terms of keys in drum corps. I've got perfect pitch, so hearing nothing but B-flat or F has gotten quite boring. Sure, it's nice if it's entertaining and played well, but I want some more variety! The ending of Spirit's first hit in their show this year ends on an A-flat Major chord...when was the last time that happened? Let's hear more of that! Do what Vanguard's doing and play the pieces in the original keys!

[/rant off]

ye of little faith... just wait until semis. :smile:

I love it when corps change things for semis... it's like giving a big middle finger to everyone who paid money to see the show during the rest of the summer... "you didn't get to see the REAL show."

maybe the change will be adding in vocals apologizing publicly for the disastrous document that crown and six friends signed onto during May.

I actually have plenty of faith in the corps, and in yourself. Can't wait to see the Semi's ending live!

My only issue with the current ending is the lead into the Promise of Living reprise ... it just seems a bit weird ... and then the fact that the reprise seems about 10 bpm faster than the original. Just seems rushed. Hopefully they can fix the timing so they can slow that reprise back down to the original tempo from last year.

Thanks CMFC4Ever and others...

The staff and the performers will work it to make sure it is exciting for the audience. As the summer continues on and comes to a close, we sincerely hope that everyone enjoys every show to the end, including the the ones at LUCAS OIL. I am sure the performers will be stoked emotionally for those and create something special (like all the corps do there) and reinforce the reason why we do what we do! There are certainly some tricks you like to keep up your sleeve for when you are in the last few performances before a show "closes" for the season.

See you down the road and we hope to see all the DCP'ers at Basey's Downtown Grill in Indy to share your stories of the summer.

Edited by njthundrrd

Personally, I love it when things change. And, no, even if I had seen it early season, I would find nothing wrong with the corps changing things, even if I was never going to see it live again. I look at it this way ... we want the corps to succeed, right? Well, somethings things need to change. Sometimes endings don't work. Some things work, but they could work better in other ways. Here are some notable changes lately that I think really worked for the better:

Crown 2009 -- the ending. I was on the fence about the show until whenever they premiered the new ending around Atlanta (I think it was Murfreesboro). Once I saw the new ending, with the longer final chord, I was amazed. That changed pushed it into being my favorite drum corps show of all time.

Vanguard 2009 -- Scene II. Originally, at the beginning of the season, Scene II of the show began with the corps playing some randomish notes while just standing still. They put in body to go with it, but that wasn't good enough. That section led to the ostinato bass drum eighth notes (Deepak I think) that led into the faster section of Scene II. Around the Oregon shows (I can't remember exactly), they took the first part out and just went straight to the ostinato. The show flowed so much better after that change. I thought the section was a neat little section, but it took away from the flow of the show as a whole.

Vanguard 2009 -- Scene IV. The drum feature was originally two bars of Snare, two bars of tenor, two bars together (iirc) and then the sudden piano leading into the park and groove. When they changed it so all sections were playing together, that added a LOT to the feature. It made it groove more.

Phantom 2008 -- I honestly think that if they hadn't added in Koji "killing" Will at the end of the show, they probably would not have won. That pushed them over BD (deservedly). Plus, holding something like that back adds to the shock value which, in turn, raises GE. They had to have had that planned all season, but held it back ... waiting for the "oppurtune moment." I know first hand the shock value. I was sitting on the track at Allentown the night it was premiered to the left of Will. I saw Koji "murder" Will for the first time, live, right in front of me, on ground level. It was the most shocking thing I'd ever seen in a drum corps show. Absolutely incredible. I was speechless the rest of the night.

Sorry for the long reply, that's kinda off topic, but I felt it needed to be said. It's not like people never see the shows again after they leave the area. That's what DVD's are for. :) And, yes, I know it's not the same as seeing it live, but it's better than nothing.

I like watching changes as well. I can see the point though, in respect to 'planned changes', changes that arent 'to fix something that doesnt work' but changes that are planned in advance to play the game and get a couple more points each time as the season goes on.

Crown 2009 -- the ending. I was on the fence about the show until whenever they premiered the new ending around Atlanta (I think it was Murfreesboro). Once I saw the new ending, with the longer final chord, I was amazed. That changed pushed it into being my favorite drum corps show of all time.

Crown in 2009 extended a lot of the big hits at various points in the show throughout the year to great effect. Puck in particular evolved from something that built to very little into just an amazing thrill ride right around Atlanta as well. The musical selection this year doesn't lend itself quite as well to that kind of extension I don't think, although I like what they've done with the end of Danzon, but I wish it could go one more notch or something.

I love it when corps change things for semis... it's like giving a big middle finger to everyone who paid money to see the show during the rest of the summer... "you didn't get to see the REAL show."

maybe the change will be adding in vocals apologizing publicly for the disastrous document that crown and six friends signed onto during May.

Lmao I genuinely like you even if I don't always agree with you.

lemme guess: More B-flat Major? I mean, really, there wasn't enough already. Is the entire show in Bb? (minor for mahler, major for everything else)

From a "harmonic complexity" standpoint, Crown is no different from Madison IMO....simple, easily achieved.

Yawn.

The first half of the Khachaturian is in Ami.... a completely unrelated key to Bb.... while Danzon is in Gmi.

As for other shows with unusual keys..... check out Blue Stars' opener... mostly in Abmi...... and Boston's closer... mostly in Db! And of course SCV, which has music mostly based on the octatonic scale.