What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

Same here. One of these days, some creative Drum Corps show designer will develop a theme called " Wonderful Confusion in 13 minutes B Flat "

Everybody in the audience will have their own personal interpretation of the Confusion that they think was intended by the show designer. The Confusion will be wonderfully constructed and the confused look on the part of the audience will be priceless.

The true genius of this however will be the fact that all the DCI judges will uniformly acknowledge that they were totally confused with the show from beginning to end as well. This will be quite the unusual occurence where both the audience and the judges all agree.. Thus, the DCI judges will consider the show to be a work of sheer unparalled brilliance never before seen or heard in Drum Corps. It will be just wonderful.... a real winner for a show theme, imo.

when are folks going to stop debating 2010 Blue Devils

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when 2011 BD wins.

lol so true. I'm looking forward to this three-peat

when are folks going to stop debating 2010 Blue Devils
We've gotta have something to do between 89 PR v SCV threads.

Boston 2002 - You are my Star. I suppose this title is a tribute to troops? Founding fathers, maybe? Who is the "star" here? And where did that ballad tune come from? As I recall, there aren't any acknowledgements on corpsreps for the composer/lyricist. I loved when BAC was doing a vocal section in their show, but the You are my Star tune was pretty awkward sounding.

Spirit 2003 - TIME. It's been a long time since I've seen the show, but it just seemed like an assorted bag. In particular, the "drum corps legends" flags seemed to be a heartstring tugging ploy. This seemed to be the third major show to cover time in some way: the portrayal of time at the beginning of the Cadets show in 2000 was fantastic, and the portrayal by SCV in 2001 was demonstrated with "busyness" and "work day." I didn't catch "time" so well in the Spirit 2003 show.

Cavaliers 2010 - Mad World. "Nothing is like it seems" was the paraphrased designers' description of the show. That frankly didn't help me a great deal. Whether I understand it as they intended, I don't know, but most everything makes sense to me except the "this is my rifle" section. How did that fit?

I think the vocal portion in Boston's 2002 show was actually pulled from Malcolm Arnold's Four Scottish Dances, the third movement. I played it before, and that's what the vocal piece, and the rest of the ballad are. Surprised it isn't credited.

Spirit 03, that show is actually more of a look back at drum corps through the years, not really a representation of time. Just kind of looking back at time.

Cavies 2010 is a show centered about PTSD. I did an analysis on this one back during Finals week, and the show designer came on here during the season and talked about it too.

Blue Devils' "1930" show in 2009.

My parents, grandparents and numerous aunts and uncles lived during the 1920s and through the Great Depression years, and I heard many stories from them about what life was like in that 1930-ish era.

The Devils' show in '09...even with the "Happy Days Are Here Again" snippets... evoked absolutely no images/memories of 1930/the Depression years, for me, at all.

i said that too, and was "educated" about how the songs of the era were all about being happy to take ones mind off the reality. except then as I go thru the show, I don't get a lot of happy music after that.

I don't remember what the thematic thrust was supposed to be, but there was this massive sundial that didn't seem to want to be moved hither and yon . . .

sorry the coding won't go away . . .

Edited by OtherDaryl

lol so true. I'm looking forward to this three-peat

No way, I want Blooo to take it! :tongue::tongue:

<Seriously>