2011 Uniforms

Phantom - However, I'm still one of those rare creatures who thought the Khaki uniforms were the best...

I am also one of those rare creatures that liked the Khaki uniforms. I also liked the red, white, and blue uniforms Spirit had in the late 90s.

I don't believe there were any major issues going into this year with the Cavaliers' uni's, but I still feel as if I should post this for everyone.

Boring - I thought they were going to try "new" things this year & "push the activity" - these are the same old uniforms - where's the creativity?

252449_10150211381858996_22770343995_6986797_1020090_n.jpg

I don't believe there were any major issues going into this year with the Cavaliers' uni's, but I still feel as if I should post this for everyone.

252449_10150211381858996_22770343995_6986797_1020090_n.jpg

There would appear to be no changes, except for one thing... those are the Blue Knights!

• Like 6

I was gonna say....disliking the uni is a pretty poor reason to not go to shows...

Am I seeing 2 stripes on the legs?? Can't quite tell from the pic...

I think it is just the "straw that broke the camel's back" coupled with my extreme disappointment after I was so optimistic about this season after finding out BD's show music and listening to the pre-season recordings this past week that the staff in Concord was at long last embracing their history and tradition. The music is phenomenal - they have done such a good job with it - and then to see these...I do not even know what word to use...abomination....of a uniform. I will tell the emperor he has no clothes - they look ridiculous. But something hit me this morning - and I won't go into a larger discussion of how I think drum corps has changed for the worse - that BD owes me nothing and if they don't care about their heritage why should I? They are a private organization that exists solely as a performance group. They are not a representative of my school, I am not an alum. I am merely a fan, a "customer" if you will. I have no vested interest in the corps. While I never quite grasp how pro sports fans feel that their team owes them something - after all a MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL team is a for profit business that exists to make money - the same applies to me with respect to the Blue Devils or DCI in general. They exists with a mission of their own - not profit in this case - and as someone with no vested interest other than as a customer to either, they owe me nothing. They offer up their "product" and if I like it, I buy, perhaps I get very passionate about it (think, Apple fans here) and if I do not like, I merely consume (or not if the product is that unattractive) without any high degree of passion.

Someone replied to my original post and said something about passion. Yes. I am passionate. I am either really into something or not into it all that much. Three things really fire my jets - Georgia Tech football, the Blue Devils and Formula 1 racing. I am an alum of Georgia Tech so my dislike of our football uniforms a few years back has a deeper connection to me though I never played football. As any college graduate knows, to some degree, your alma mater is part of you and you are a part of it. There is a real non-customer relationship there. I make no apologies for my passion there and caring about how our team presented itself on game day (i.e., what we looked like in uniform). How you appear is important - hence uniforms - otherwise corps would march in polo shirts and shorts. But the difference, as I noted above is that I have no vested interest. So while I will still attend shows and enjoy the music (where I can, because with some corps their shows are barely recognizable as drum corps shows anymore) but I will leave the passion for the football stadium in the fall.

Sorry for the length and anyone I bored with my comments. Enjoy the season.

• Like 1

Sorry for the length and anyone I bored with my comments. Enjoy the season.

I have to tell you, I caught the first glimpse of the new BD uni only an hour or so ago, and I almost immediately agreed with you.

But then, about 40 minutes ago, I finally forked over the $5 to get this season's recording off the Mediabox. I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes, and cannot find the words to describe the multitude of feelings I've experienced, having listened to it for the 8th time just moments ago.

In other words, this year's Blue Devils could take the field in the 1965 Royal-airs' uniforms sitting on barstools for all I care, just as long as I get to hear them play this live, you dig?

This book is not only a masterpiece of arranging, but has succeeded in giving me the same degree of intense melancholy I felt the first time I saw my corps on the field after I'd aged out 25 years ago this summer.

Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking. :worthy:

PS: does anyone have any idea what mikes they used for this recording? It was perfection.

PPS: This is the very first show I've heard where the electronics seemed absolutely appropriate and in service to the overall music. God help me, I think I've crossed over...ready to accept Drum Corps on Drum Corps' terms...not mine.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 4

The color of the uniform is not affected by the heat.....the material is.....old Academy jacket WOOL....new jacket, "special moisture sensitive material" MUCH MUCH Cooler, and doesn't stay wet for 3 days.....

most shows are at night.....heat not an issue remember we practice in Arizona today ot will be 102'

Oh yeah because you rehearse in your uniform....

I will reserve final judgement on BD until I see them this weekend. But from the pic... I'm not impressed. It feels very much like change for change's sake, as the main elements they changed in the last iterations (track stripe, half skirt) are still there. The stripes, on initial viewing, seem like they'll detract from the individual form from a distance.

(Oh yeah, and I called it - half-and-half uniform!)

Eh, I guess I'll wait and see them in action and report back. I do think if any corps is ready to make the switch to WGI-style unis-of-the-year, it's BD. (Well, and Crown.)

Mike

I am also one of those rare creatures that liked the Khaki uniforms. I also liked the red, white, and blue uniforms Spirit had in the late 90s.

Good. I am not the only one. I absolutely LOVED the khaki uniform!

This past weekend during the Bluecoats family day they had a history display for the corps and within the display they had a uniform display that showed the various uniforms the corps has worn through the years. I was surprised to discover that the dark Blue jackets the corps bought in 1992 were the same jackets they were still wearing in 2003. In the picture below from left to right 1974-1978, 1980-1982, 1984-1988, 1989-1991, 1992-2003, 2004-2006, 2007-current. Below the uniforms are and original plume, a shako from the 1980-1982 years (only time the corps wore a shako), 1984 guard uniform, DM uniform 1984-1988, 1988 guard uniform, 1994 sash, helmet and plume from the 1992-2006 era, jacket from the 1984-1986 era.

251707_10150638077800710_180000990709_19191623_6401590_n.jpg

• Like 2

This past weekend during the Bluecoats family day they had a history display for the corps and within the display they had a uniform display that showed the various uniforms the corps has worn through the years. I was surprised to discover that the dark Blue jackets the corps bought in 1992 were the same jackets they were still wearing in 2003. In the picture below from left to right 1974-1978, 1980-1982, 1984-1988, 1989-1991, 1992-2003, 2004-2006, 2007-current. Below the uniforms are and original plume, a shako from the 1980-1982 years (only time the corps wore a shako), 1984 guard uniform, DM uniform 1984-1988, 1988 guard uniform, 1994 sash, helmet and plume from the 1992-2006 era, jacket from the 1984-1986 era.

251707_10150638077800710_180000990709_19191623_6401590_n.jpg

wow, very cool!!!