Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

And there will be thrashing.

So 2015 saw the best attendance of the Indianapolis era, and decidedly so (good news!). But this press release, with its 12 claims of "record" and "highest" attendance, actually makes it sound like this is an all-time record for a DCI final. If you are tired of hearing people bring up 1981, leave this thread and do not look back.

Exactly. There has been no " thrashing " of this article by anyone so far ( with no need to, imo ). The article, (as you correctly observed ) was referring to the " Indianapolis " period. But will the ever so clever liberties with the article wording have some unknowing people believe that this was the largest DCI attendance ever ? Sure. I'd say so. You and me both caught that, and so didn't others here. This is where on occasion, despite the misinformation, and attempts at revisionist history on here and elsewhere from time to time, we do have the ability here set the record straight for accuracy purposes on a number of topics here on DCP. That said, as written, this particular article here in fact ( due to the clever wording ) is an accurate article in what it actually says re recent. DCI attendance.

Edited by BRASSO

Definitely the sign of the times...

(for dinosaurs, the translation is they who got into the stadium on wristband passes pulled DCI/Ticketmaster charts up on their I-phone/portable computer thingey, saw what seats in preferred areas weren't sold, and sat in them unbothered as if they had bought the tickets.)

Question: What sort of instructions and moral challenges did the admin of corps which had wristbands give to the MMs when these were distributed, or were the admins updating their resumes to explain why their corps wasn't in Finals? 2 sad states of affairs in this case.

Oh, come one: this sort of thing happened in the 80s-late 90s (that I know of personally), albeit without technology. Staffers + members not in finals would sit in empty seats/sections.

And it happens in sports, where people jump into better seats unoccupied. And it happens in concerts when the lights dim for the headlining act: people jumping up rows to get better seats.

Happens All. Of. The. Time.

Trying to say that current members are some no abomination of logistics and manners, or current generation of corps directors/staffers are failing to teach right is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

Irrelevant is one thing. It's another to say 2015 was "record breaking" and neglecting to say HOW it was recording breaking.

I'm glad things went well in 2015 but let's be honest in exactly what is being talked about.

The article was quite clear on that, as I noted above.

"Following an incredible record-setting national tour, Drum Corps International (DCI) ended the season with the highest paid attendance in Indianapolis at the World Championship Finals."

It also went on to describe attendance records all over the country. I'm not sure what else is being asked for in this thread.

• Like 2

Oh, come one: this sort of thing happened in the 80s-late 90s (that I know of personally), albeit without technology. Staffers + members not in finals would sit in empty seats/sections.

And it happens in sports, where people jump into better seats unoccupied. And it happens in concerts when the lights dim for the headlining act: people jumping up rows to get better seats.

Happens All. Of. The. Time.

Trying to say that current members are some no abomination of logistics and manners, or current generation of corps directors/staffers are failing to teach right is absolutely ridiculous.

Sign of times referred to the hand held phones and creativity.

While your statistical analysis of current practices might be spot on, yes I do hold that honesty and integrity are still qualities that drum corps do have a responsibility to address once their mission statements and requests for funding cite youth formation and development as part of their purpose. Dummy-ing down the culture and least honorable practices relative to stealing should not be.

The article was quite clear on that, as I noted above.

"Following an incredible record-setting national tour, Drum Corps International (DCI) ended the season with the highest paid attendance in Indianapolis at the World Championship Finals."

It also went on to describe attendance records all over the country. I'm not sure what else is being asked for in this thread.

Nothing, as near as I can tell. The article referred to " Indianapolis " and there is no dispute, nor any controversy with it, MikedD. Was it cleverly written ? Sure. Should people have an issue with cleverly written articles ? No, I don't believe so. Can people be free here to point out that it DOES state clearly " Indianapolis " so as to not confuse readers? Sure. So its all good here this morning, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

And there will be thrashing.

So 2015 saw the best attendance of the Indianapolis era, and decidedly so (good news!). But this press release, with its 12 claims of "record" and "highest" attendance, actually makes it sound like this is an all-time record for a DCI final. If you are tired of hearing people bring up 1981, leave this thread and do not look back.

dontlookback.jpeg:smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

To be clear I never read the article and wasn't referring to it.

I was talking about claims made by posters in this thread. In particular the nit picking in comparing 1981 to 2015 attendance and how it was counted. And even more so in how bringing up any success in the past tends to get some peoples teeth to grind.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I was talking about claims made by posters in this thread. In particular the nit-picking in comparing 1981 to 2015 attendance and how it was counted. And even more so in how bringing up any success in the past tends to get some peoples teeth to grind.

Yeah, it does almost seem that some people do not want to hear that DCI was successful in the past.

• Like 1

Yeah, it does almost seem that some people do not want to hear that DCI was successful in the past.

I don't think that's it at all BUT there are those who choose antagonistic condescending words merely to provoke confrontation and little to do with the subject. This turns debate or discussion into something very different and IMO deliberate for pages and pages.

There is no doubt DCI was successful in the past. If it weren't would it be here today? I don't think so. DCI was successful and because of that we have what we have today.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I don't think that's it at all, BUT there are those who choose antagonistic condescending words merely to provoke confrontation and little to do with the subject. This turns debate or discussion into something very different and IMO deliberate for pages and pages.

There is no doubt DCI was successful in the past. If it weren't would it be here today? I don't think so. DCI was successful, and because of that we have what we have today.

Well, with that remark, I was having a little fun at the expense of those commenters who have, in a half-dozen or so posts over the past week, uttered variations on "It's like people want DCI to fail". The point being: that reply works as well for the doubters of 1981 as for the doubters of 2015. Just because you question the 2015 numbers doesn't mean you want DCI to fail, and just because you question the 1981 figures doesn't mean you think DCI was a failure in the past.

• Like 2