Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

I know what you mean. I've been in the corporate world for almost 20 years and I know corporate PR speak when I see it. I would be willing to bet this press release was put together precisely to make it semi-ambiguous as to which records were set. If I were DCI, I wouldn't want to let on that attendance was higher in other cities in the past, not when I just signed another long term deal with Indy.

My real question is this: what is the seating capacity, for a drum corps show, of LOS, the Alamo Dome, the Georgia Dome, and the stadium in Allentown? Those are the 7 biggest crowds all year long, but how close are they to maxing out attendance at those events? Once you fill the stadium, the only other thing to do is raise tickets prices. Forgive me for looking at this like an accountant, but that's what I am. At this year's average ticket price, what would be the revenue cap if DCI sold every possible seat to those 7 events? Since Finals are going to be in Indy for the foreseeable future, they have to be planning a way to sell every possible seat at those 7 events. THAT would be your ultimate attendance goal.

"Although DCI has seen larger finals-week crowds in prior years in other venues, 2015's attendance was the highest of the eight years that DCI finals have been in Indy."

- doesn't really have the same impact as what DCI actually wrote.

• Like 1

Not getting into the specifics of any year in particular, but what is put out as part of marketing and PR and what is legally reported to the government may or may not be excactly the same numbers.

I just like that this year's attendance is the 3rd largest in the past 20 years, behind 2007 Pasadena and 2006 Madison.

When it's all said and done, isn't this THE most important statement about attendance

No. I think it is more important to note that this is the best attendance of the entire Indianapolis run. Or better yet, that the uptrend occurred at many 2015 events, not just championship week.

Why are you bringing up prior championships from 2007 or 2006? That is, to some extent, the same sort of historical look-back that so many here are branding "irrelevant". Stop overanalyzing! :tounge2:

"Although DCI has seen larger finals-week crowds in prior years in other venues, 2015's attendance was the highest of the eight years that DCI finals have been in Indy."

- doesn't really have the same impact as what DCI actually wrote.

EXACTLY!!! If they had been clearer, it would have just brought down the tone of what was, and is, really great news about this year's attendance.

btw, has it really been 8 years in Indy???? It doesn't feel like that long...

Seven years at Lucas Oil. I think 2008 was originally meant to be held there, but the stadium was under construction (opened Aug. 24), so the championships were conducted in Bloomington instead.

Seven years at Lucas Oil. I think 2008 was originally meant to be held there, but the stadium was under construction (opened Aug. 24), so the championships were conducted in Bloomington instead.

I remember that. DCI actually helped design the stadium so that the sound would be better for them (how did THAT work out?!). Finals week was supposed to be the first official event in LOS when it opened... until it couldn't open on time.

I remember that. DCI actually helped design the stadium so that the sound would be better for them (how did THAT work out?!). Finals week was supposed to be the first official event in LOS when it opened... until it couldn't open on time.

And it was a historic Finals, too!

EXACTLY!!! If they had been clearer, it would have just brought down the tone of what was, and is, really great news about this year's attendance.

Well, Bloomington IS in Indiana!

:tounge2:

DC is a niche activity but it IS trying to bring in new fans every year. Especially important in the DCI world where marchers have to leave after a certain age.

To be clear I don't see anything mysterious in the part of the write up that was posted. But IMO the writer was not thinking that it might be read by people who are new or not so knowledgeable in the activity. That was always my gripe with the "after they age out they can't do DC anymore" activity. IOW we know what the writer meant but could read it in another way by others.

So big question is who was the target audience for the write up?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

DC is a niche activity but it IS trying to bring in new fans every year. Especially important in the DCI world where marchers have to leave after a certain age.

To be clear I don't see anything mysterious in the part of the write up that was posted. But IMO the writer was not thinking that it might be read by people who are new or not so knowledgeable in the activity. That was always my gripe with the "after they age out they can't do DC anymore" activity. IOW we know what the writer meant but could read it in another way by others.

So big question is who was the target audience for the write up?

Every band director and corporate sponsor on the planet.

• Like 1

Thanks Garfield.... so sources of potential members and money, or is it potential sources of members and money.

Oh man... time to perfectly clear <$1 to Nixon> DCI.....