Fan Network 2014-2015?

Just bought a cheaper laptop with HDMI port and cheapo HDMI cable (cheapo as in a toy dog could chew thru it). Working great.... on the (other big piece you need).... TV with HDMI port (IOW HD TV)....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

freezes Saturday even on DVR. Hope this isn't a trend. started during Bloo

I suggest everyone who watched the feed on Saturday call or email and ask for a refund. I have received one and the ONLY way DCI will ever care to fix their many issues with the fan network is if the fans hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook

The whole 5.1 thing may be a bit overrated for DCI, hence that all the audio takes place in front of you! As far as delay goes, that is the effect of the dome which most of us would agree is the worst environment for a drum corps show.

Nothing takes place all in front of you, we hear binaurally. If you go to a live show, place you hands behind your pinna(to block the reflections coming from behind), what you hear is quite different than if you place your hands in your lap. A live show consists of the corps sound directly(less than you think), various reflections coming from the stands or bleachers - and the heads and bodies of the audience, and the slap back from the delayed reflections from the stands behind the corps. All of these cues tell the brain it is hearing a live event. Reduce or eliminate the reflections, and the ear/brain mechanism will never be convinced the event is live. Because of this, 5.1 surround(lossless please) gets us much closer to what we are hearing in the stadium than stereo or mono does.

The effect of a dome is not delay per se(except if we are describing delayed energy reaching the ears from multiple reflections), but more room reverberation(a series of reflections arriving in a random manner to the ear which describes the acoustics of the space). A simple delay(like you get with delay on a 5.1 receiver) does nothing more than delay the output of the rear channels in respect to the front channels(the Precedent effect). Reverberation is a series of delayed reflections arriving to the ear at different times- much like you get when you hear a corps live in a stadium.

If you really want to simulate 5.1, engage the Prologic IIx on your receiver during a 2.0 broadcast, and let the steered matrix decoding derived the out of phase information in the stereo recording, and direct it to the rear speakers. Unfortunately 120hz setting on the subwoofer channel would make your subwoofer quite directional, and quite apparent(not to mention some coloring of the sound), 80hz should always be your split from the main channels to the subwoofer for that reason.

Stereo is good enough for some, but not enough for others. I want to feel like I am there, stereo cannot deliver that, but surround certainly can.

I would love to get the FN, but I already have enough computers in my hometheaters(PS4 and Bluray players). When FN is offered as a app on Blu ray players and the PS3-4, then I am sold. My room is extremely quiet, and the sound of a computer fan whirring in the background would be too nerve wracking.

Edited by deftguy

Nothing takes place all in front of you, we hear binaurally. If you go to a live show, place you hands behind your pinna(to block the reflections coming from behind), what you hear is quite different than if you place your hands in your lap. A live show consists of the corps sound directly(less than you think), various reflections coming from the stands or bleachers - and the heads and bodies of the audience, and the slap back from the delayed reflections from the stands behind the corps. All of these cues tell the brain it is hearing a live event. Reduce or eliminate the reflections, and the ear/brain mechanism will never be convinced the event is live. Because of this, 5.1 surround(lossless please) gets us much closer to what we are hearing in the stadium than stereo or mono does.

The effect of a dome is not delay per se(except if we are describing delayed energy reaching the ears from multiple reflections), but more room reverberation(a series of reflections arriving in a random manner to the ear which describes the acoustics of the space). A simple delay(like you get with delay on a 5.1 receiver) does nothing more than delay the output of the rear channels in respect to the front channels(the Precedent effect). Reverberation is a series of delayed reflections arriving to the ear at different times- much like you get when you hear a corps live in a stadium.

If you really want to simulate 5.1, engage the Prologic IIx on your receiver during a 2.0 broadcast, and let the steered matrix decoding derived the out of phase information in the stereo recording, and direct it to the rear speakers. Unfortunately 120hz setting on the subwoofer channel would make your subwoofer quite directional, and quite apparent(not to mention some coloring of the sound), 80hz should always be your split from the main channels to the subwoofer for that reason.

Stereo is good enough for some, but not enough for others. I want to feel like I am there, stereo cannot deliver that, but surround certainly can.

I would love to get the FN, but I already have enough computers in my hometheaters(PS4 and Bluray players). When FN is offered as a app on Blu ray players and the PS3-4, then I am sold. My room is extremely quiet, and the sound of a computer fan whirring in the background would be too nerve wracking.

I watch it on my home theater but don't use a computer-- just an iPad and Apple TV.

Did anyone try Chromecasting from a mobile device using the mobile feed at all? I tried to use it from an Android tablet (Google Nexus) but took an absolute age to load up the feed and then when it eventually did come up and I hit "cast" it started loading and then crashed the Chromecast.

The VoDs across Chromecast work a treat thus far (#touchwood)

I went back to the PC in the kitchen in the end which is on a WiFi dongle and watched the HD stream which worked a treat (although went to bed after Bluestars as it was 1am in the morning here!)

Hoping to do the full show for Atlanta so would be nice to sit in the living room and watch on the big TV rather than the small screen with the hard chair! :)

Nothing takes place all in front of you, we hear binaurally. If you go to a live show, place you hands behind your pinna(to block the reflections coming from behind), what you hear is quite different than if you place your hands in your lap. A live show consists of the corps sound directly(less than you think), various reflections coming from the stands or bleachers - and the heads and bodies of the audience, and the slap back from the delayed reflections from the stands behind the corps. All of these cues tell the brain it is hearing a live event. Reduce or eliminate the reflections, and the ear/brain mechanism will never be convinced the event is live.

I cannot speak for your brain, but mine already figured out that the recording is not live when I had to press the play button.

Because of this, 5.1 surround(lossless please) gets us much closer to what we are hearing in the stadium than stereo or mono does.

Not really. The microphones are nowhere near where your ears are, so they cannot possibly capture the same combination of reflections that you describe.

Besides, the main point of a recording is to provide a better perspective than you had available from your seat in the stands. Noise from the crowd all around you interferes with the sound of the music, and the noise has the advantage of proximity. A recording improves the signal-to-noise ratio via mic placement. But then, as a knee-jerk reaction to the Dolby Digital 5.1 craze, much of that improvement is thrown away by adding crowd noise back in to support the 5.1 effect.

What you really hear from your seat, by the way, also includes deflected sound due to air movement, blocked sound due to the 6'5" man sitting directly in front of you, wailing children, crunching nachos, ice rattling in plastic cups. Who wants their recording to sound like that?

If you want to feel like you are there, bring your kids into the room and feed them nachos and big gulps while you try to listen to the music.

I asked via Live Chat during San Antonio. The DVR function does not work on iOS platforms.

So now we know.

Except when it does. A couple of shows back, I used it to back up two corps while watching a live show on my iPad. Other times it hasn't worked at all. I guess the moon has to be in the right phase or something.

I cannot speak for your brain, but mine already figured out that the recording is not live when I had to press the play button.

That tells me your system is not up to snuff. When I press the play button(depending on the quality of the recording), the "I am there" perception is uncanny.

Not really. The microphones are nowhere near where your ears are, so they cannot possibly capture the same combination of reflections that you describe.

I was not talking about the microphones, I was talking about our ears(and perspective based on where we sit). Secondly Tom Blair is excellent at what he does, and he would have more than field level microphones active while recording( the 5.1 soundtrack on the finals Bluray certainly supports this). Since you don't know where all the microphones are located, then I am not sure your statement has any validity at all.

Besides, the main point of a recording is to provide a better perspective than you had available from your seat in the stands. Noise from the crowd all around you interferes with the sound of the music, and the noise has the advantage of proximity.

So I guess faders don't exist. I guess the ability to monitor and mix in realtime does not exist. If Tom Blair(or any other live sound mixer) does what I do when I mix baseball, football, or live bands in stadiums, they would give priority to the performers up front, and provide a lower level mix for the surrounds for the crowd. Are you saying this is not possible? If you are, then it is apparent you have never mixed audio in a stadium before.

A recording improves the signal-to-noise ratio via mic placement. But then, as a knee-jerk reaction to the Dolby Digital 5.1 craze, much of that improvement is thrown away by adding crowd noise back in to support the 5.1 effect.

I did not know that audience reaction(or live walla) was called noise. I always thought it was part of the live experience - and any sound engineer would capture it if they know how to do live sound well.

What you really hear from your seat, by the way, also includes deflected sound due to air movement, blocked sound due to the 6'5" man sitting directly in front of you, wailing children, crunching nachos, ice rattling in plastic cups. Who wants their recording to sound like that?

No sound engineer would put a microphone is somebody's lap, so this is nothing but an deflective air sandwich comment. By the way, I think I mention this already in my post.

If you want to feel like you are there, bring your kids into the room and feed them nachos and big gulps while you try to listen to the music.

Major deflection here. "You are there" sound has nothing to do with food and beverages. You wanna try again....well maybe don't.