Roughin' It at Rutgers

Despite the name, the GE #1 judge is always a visual person and the GE #2 judge is always a music person. I'd assume that their different reads on the shows reflects their area of focus.

Was there an issue with the words "visual" or "music"? It's as if there was an actual attempt to confuse.

• Like 1

I just got home from the show. BD was incredible, I could hear brass players around me losing their minds during that opener and all I want to do is go listen to it again. Bluecoats were a great surprise too. I hadn't been following closely but their show is excellent musically and visually.

I saw them at Stanford and they were insane. Nobody, including Crown, sounds that good this year (which is saying alot -- I'm a huge Crown honk). I wish BD was at Massillon!!!

Was there an issue with the words "visual" or "music"? It's as if there was an actual attempt to confuse.

Well...it's not quite that simple (because of course it isn't).

The idea is that while the two GE Judges are one visual one music person, they are now allowed to talk about and score a show based on the total package from their perspective. So while the visual person will favor visual and vise versa, they can still now use the music as part of their evaluation.

Definitely an exciting season.

We're all winners!

• Like 1

I'm sorry, BD's show is really remarkable, and they really do deserve to win with this show... but if they beat the 99.15 mark, I might cry. Frameworks has a special place in my heart as the first drum corps show I ever saw. I still consider it THE highest scoring show of all time. (Also sorry to cadets, loved 05 too)

Umm....OK.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, BD's show is really remarkable, and they really do deserve to win with this show... but if they beat the 99.15 mark, I might cry. Frameworks has a special place in my heart as the first drum corps show I ever saw. I still consider it THE highest scoring show of all time. (Also sorry to cadets, loved 05 too)

I don't see this year's BD show as a watershed moment for the activity quite as much as Frameworks, The Zone, or even last years' Crown show( All the lower body movement this year, thanks to Crown), but I'm sure they're going to be squeaky clean again.

• Like 1

The idea is that while the two GE Judges are one visual one music person, they are now allowed to talk about and score a show based on the total package from their perspective. So while the visual person will favor visual and vise versa, they can still now use the music as part of their evaluation.

But still, all season we've seen different numbers and rankings from the GE-formerly-known-as-visual and the GE-formerly-known-as-music. So I'd rather see them acknowledge the different criteria in play rather than just have everyone confused on why the two GE judges never seem to agree.

• Like 1

I'm sure that there are a TON of people who are engaged by BD too. It's just the level of separation that blows my mind. Even if the level of performance is that much higher, it's not going to change the product THAT much, so there's something on the rubric that we do NOT know about (and apparently only BD knows about too).

That intrigues me. The judges work for the corps, who collectively decide what the rubrics are. All the corps should know what's expected of them. To what degree are corps other than BD trying and failing to achieve what the rubrics call for, and to what degree are corps other than BD not even trying to achieve that, i.e., interpreting the rubrics in some other way than both BD and the judges interpret the rubrics?

I mean: would the other leadings corps' staff would acknowledge that BD is in fact doing everything better than them? Would Bluecoats designers, for instance, say, "Yep, they designed a better show than we did"? Or in critique are they trying to convince the judges that what they've designed is in fact of equivalent quality?

• Like 1

If a medal is within reach, so is Bloo getting the silver. .05 difference in the spread.

You are absolutely correct. I really like Bloo's show and I would have no problem with them getting the silver or the bronze. I happen to enjoy SCV's show more than BC's but you know what they say about opinions.

Despite the question mark I used it wasn't an actual question. Not trying to be rude, but the judging system seems to deliberately be designed to try and hide how the scores are achieved. It doesn't have to be this confusing.

Edited by bluesman