Roughin' It at Rutgers

Who is the judge of what's deserved?

It is all subjective. You can talk yourself in a circle till your head explodes. I gave up ( as best I can) stressing about scoring

Judges judge their "sliver" of the product and follow the sheets of what they are to evaluate and rank. I was at the show and if it were "My senses" judging, would have had BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crown in that order and all with 1.2 spread. Edited by theCHEZman

CORRECTION CORRECTION!!!! lol .....ahh well I'm sure Crown won't mind if the brass caption goes somewhere else for a night. That Ott is coming back to Ft. Mill next week though.

As a BD fan i have no problem with the Ott going back to Ft Mill. Crown can be the brass champs and deservedly so. As long as BD is the world champs and they bring that trophy back to Concord.

• Like 3

So, the most important person is the person who selects the judges panel for 8/9. That's the general conclusion I reach from reading through this thread.

No, the most important people are the ones who design a show that can be in contention. There is no judging panel that will put, say, PR in first because their design does not permit it.

The second most important people are the performers who bring the design to life. You can have a great design, but no judge will reward it without a great performance of that design.

Finally, the third most important people are the ones sitting on the panel. If there are several shows with excellent design and excellent performance, you can usually find a panel that would put each one on top. See Crown and BD last year, who traded wins all summer and even through finals week. Some panels liked Crown better, some liked BD better.

This year, I don't think the final one comes much into play as EVERY panel seems to think BD is the best. You pick the 8 people wearing the most maroon-tinted glasses, and they are probably still going to have BD up this year.

People talk about peaking early, I'd say it's not BD that's peaked already, but The Cadets.

I think you can say a lot of the any Cadet corps over the years, but peaking before Allentown shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

The corps will push to the end.

No, the most important people are the ones who design a show that can be in contention. There is no judging panel that will put, say, PR in first because their design does not permit it.

The second most important people are the performers who bring the design to life. You can have a great design, but no judge will reward it without a great performance of that design.

Finally, the third most important people are the ones sitting on the panel. If there are several shows with excellent design and excellent performance, you can usually find a panel that would put each one on top. See Crown and BD last year, who traded wins all summer and even through finals week. Some panels liked Crown better, some liked BD better.

This year, I don't think the final one comes much into play as EVERY panel seems to think BD is the best. You pick the 8 people wearing the most maroon-tinted glasses, and they are probably still going to have BD up this year.

This. I have found that this year, unlike any I can remember (and I have been around the activity for 3 decades), is one where even the most ardent BD "haters" are at worst grudgingly admitting that BD is off the hook good and at best are going as gaga as the loudest BD honk out there. Too bad Plan9 seems to have left, his head would probably explode if he saw some of the folks gushing about Devils this year.

This. I have found that this year, unlike any I can remember (and I have been around the activity for 3 decades), is one where even the most ardent BD "haters" are at worst grudgingly admitting that BD is off the hook good and at best are going as gaga as the loudest BD honk out there. Too bad Plan9 seems to have left, his head would probably explode if he saw some of the folks gushing about Devils this year.

Plan9 showed up an another thread earlier this week. I think he doesn't quite know how to respond to all the Devil-love on DCP this year.

After looking at the recap, if you're just a little itty bitty bit better across the board, then that kind of spread is possible. That can start piling up REALLY fast. Didn't know until today that a guy that I went to college with is on the soprano line this year. I've never really talked to him.......cool though.