2015 Predictions

I sure can't wait to be the first one to start the 2016 predictions thread.

I predict that you'll be the first too !

Is there anything in particular that makes you think Vanguard will be in 8th? Yeah, it could happen after all no one had Phantom in 9th after 2008, but I don't see them in 8th.

Bias and a show that I think will fall on its face.

Are not the open class corps' performances shorter in length?

Or being an open class corps qualifies them (if they so desire) to perform a shorter in length show vrs a world class corps' length of performance?

If that's the case, isn't this more-so a mixing "apples to oranges" list?

Last year the open class corps moved to the same scoring system as world class. This is why BDB was scored to be 15th overall, jumping quite a few world class corps.

Last year the open class corps moved to the same scoring system as world class. This is why BDB was scored to be 15th overall, jumping quite a few world class corps.

That doesn't answer the question posed, inasmuch are not open class corps' actual length of adjudicated performances shorter (or qualify if so desired by being an open class corps) in duration than a world class adjudicated performance time duration?

If they are indeed shorter in length (8 or so minutes vrs 10 or so minutes)....it's an "apples to oranges" comparison.

In short, giving a runner in the 80 meter dash the same time equivalent to the person competing in a 100 meter dash....different breeds of cat.

That doesn't answer the question posed, inasmuch are not open class corps' actual length of adjudicated performances shorter (or qualify if so desired by being an open class corps) in duration than a world class adjudicated performance time duration?

If they are indeed shorter in length (8 or so minutes vrs 10 or so minutes)....it's an "apples to oranges" comparison.

In short, giving a runner in the 80 meter dash the same time equivalent to the person competing in a 100 meter dash....different breeds of cat.

The rules are the same in both classes when it comes to performance time, instrumentation, field size, etc.

The rules are the same in both classes when it comes to performance time, instrumentation, field size, etc.

You're right in theory. As of last year, World Class and Open Class corps were supposed to be judged on exactly the same standards. However, as noted in this post, multiple Open Class corps last year had shows that were under time:

8 min. 32 sec. -- Gold

8 min. 33 sec. -- Coastal Surge

8 min. 48 sec. -- Genesis

8 min. 53 sec. -- Colt Cadets

9 min. 0 sec. -- Blue Saints

9 min. 4 sec. -- Stentors

9 min. 8 sec. -- Legends

9 min. 31 sec. -- 7th Regiment

9 min. 41 sec. -- Racine Scouts

And yet none of those corps received penalties at World Class prelims.

You're right in theory. As of last year, World Class and Open Class corps were supposed to be judged on exactly the same standards. However, as noted in this post, multiple Open Class corps last year had shows that were under time:

8 min. 32 sec. -- Gold

9 min. 8 sec. -- Legends

If it were not for the fact that I really enjoyed several of the open-class performances...especially Blue Devils B....I'd say that this adjudication is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and just competitive spin...

8 min. 32 sec. -- Gold

9 min. 8 sec. -- Legends

You know, now that I think about it, the minimum time might be a minute shorter for Open Class corps (it's 10 minutes for World Class). It's been a while since I taught in Open (2009), and I cannot for the life of me find the rule book I carried around at shows (mostly due to the electronics changes that went into effect that year). I do know that the max show length is indeed the same...that's the rule we were more concerned with at the time.

Even if this is the case, I don't see it as being a big deal. All the corps you listed are smaller or have much shorter tours and less time commitment than the larger Open Class corps that would realistically compete with the bottom end of World Class. I also would venture to guess that the World Class directors signed off on suspending or ignoring the minimum show length for those corps. In fact, that was the year that DCI becaume much more concerned with the overall time on the field...entrance, pre-show, performance, exit. That was the window that was scrutinized in much greater detail (and still is).

EDIT: Found the 2009 rules online here. The minimum time for Open Class is indeed shorter, at 8:30, but has the same back end of 11:30. Not sure if it's changed since then.

Edited by Kamarag

I still say whoever scores highest wins