Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

I liked the Blue Stars grey uniforms as well as last year's uniforms. I did like Blue Stars uniforms and the corps back in the day, and if they had a continuous presence in WC competition, I might long for the uniforms of old, but where they spent time in Open Class and did not have national tours for many years, I don't associate Blue Stars of today with the Blue Stars of the seventies. I don't say this as a slight. I give them credit for remaining alive, but for me they are two different corps.

While the musicians uniforms were a hit for me, a major miss were the sailor uniforms worn by some of the guard in 2012. They had talent, and some impressive moves, but for me it was an "On the Waterfront" style show with a Gene Kelley and Frank Sinatra "On the Town" look.

I agree... the grey for me was very meh...

The red plumes... LOVE THEM. In case you weren't aware, Blue stars historically have worn red plumes:

cooking_pic4.jpg

It's only since 2007 that they went away from them.

I was aware of the red plumes from their history...I just didn't like them on the 2014 uniforms.

I was only respoding to this:

"You think of other corps of that era... SCV, Devs, Phantom, Garfield, Cavies, Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, 27, Bridgemen, Troopers, Star of Indiana (good lord how many of that list is now folded)... they all had instantly describable looks,"

One they donned the yellow banana unis, you are absolutely correct, esp in hindsight. I do recall all sorts of complaints about them "not being drum corps" in 1976, by the way.

Those drum corps had instantly describable looks because they were all unique & different. Uniqueness & difference is sorely lacking in today's drum corps activity.

• Like 1

Those drum corps had instantly describable looks because they were all unique & different. Uniqueness & difference is sorely lacking in today's drum corps activity.

Oh please....the only 2 corps in WC that might look a little similar -- and that from a distance -- are BD and BK...and not even BK now (edited because I forgot they had completely new unis last year)

If you can't tell Mandarins from BD from Cavies from Cadets from Crown from Colts from Xmen from Madison etc...you must not be looking at the same corps I am.

How mahy corps way back in the day wore silks in solid color with a printed cross sash, or wore cadets? A crapload...I can't tell Garfield from Vagabonds (when they wore cadets).

The "they all look the same" trope is old and tired...and it's not true.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 4

I liked the Blue Stars ...

While the musicians uniforms were a hit for me, a major miss were the sailor uniforms worn by some of the guard in 2012. They had talent, and some impressive moves, but for me it was an "On the Waterfront" style show with a Gene Kelley and Frank Sinatra "On the Town" look.

Exactly.

Again...you entirely missed the point of what I was saying. But..you do highlight it yet again in my mention of Bayonne. Bayonne from 76 on was what you say. Before that they wer just another corps in either a satin top or later the cadet-style jacket. And...in 76 there were people when they came out in those distinctive unis who hated that look and said they were not a drum corps. I loved them from day 1 in 76...but some did not.

As to today...the posts after yours put that to rest.

• Like 1