Indy "opening" contest

I'm all for trying it, but I'll be surprised if people who have been going to Indy for years can honestly say it led to a appreciable improvement in sound clarity and balance. My own hunch is that a roof the size of the one at Lucas Oil, with everything else enclosed, plays a relatively small role in the muddy, boomy sound of an indoor stadium. But sure, give it a shot and see what people think.

the roof is only a small portion of the sound issue. the huge windows are also a large factor. but even a 10% chance of rain, they aren't opening the roof

oh and whoever scores highest wins

the roof is only a small portion of the sound issue. the huge windows are also a large factor. but even a 10% chance of rain, they aren't opening the roof

oh and whoever scores highest wins

It's pouring there.

Everyone has bias. But it's absurd to accuse a judge of purposely dropping scores just because their corps does not score well in that department. It's like last season where Cadets fans complained that the panel was "favorable" to the Bluecoats. That's some BS. The Cadets shot themselves in the foot last season, not the judges.

Please stop right there. I can't listen to logic anymore. You don't fit in here.

Here are the judges for tonight according to fromthepressbox.com

GE Visual: M. Czapinski

GE Music: R. Greenwell

Visual Prof: J. Orefice

Visual Ana: M. Anderson

Color Guard: R. Kemp

Brass: A. Cook

Music Ana: J. Harper

Percussion: J. Queen

full panel and the averages will probably keep scores lower than higher

It's pouring there.

even if it was cloudy and a 10% chance, they wouldn't open it. no drainage system. And when you consider August is thunderstorm central out there, i'll lay 50-1 odds there will NEVER be a DCI event with that roof open

Here are the judges for tonight according to fromthepressbox.com

GE Visual: M. Czapinski

GE Music: R. Greenwell

Visual Prof: J. Orefice

Visual Ana: M. Anderson

Color Guard: R. Kemp

Brass: A. Cook

Music Ana: J. Harper

Percussion: J. Queen

Two questions about the judging list.

First, is it true that they are going back to "GE Visual" and "GE Music" on the judging sheets instead of "GE 1" and "GE 2"? Seems weird that they would bring those back after one season.

Second, I know there has been some discussion on new judges. Of those who are judging tonight, are there any who we know for sure have never judged a DCI show before, or perhaps haven't judged one in a few years? Just wondering.

Any subjectively judged activity is going to have some bias. No one has said otherwise. What we're saying is that the alleged anti-Scouts (and anti-Phantom, as their wonks say the same thing about the same judges) views are absurd. DCI wouldn't allow a judge with a demonstrated bias to be on panels year after year. Blaming a judge for your corps' deficiencies over time in certain captions is laughable.

yup. with the digital judging system, one click and commentary from judges can be listened to from wherever by the caption heads. when you see a head scratching score, the first place to go before you talk to the judge is the recording...and not just from that unit, but you can gauge it against the whole show. That right there will give you all kinds of evidence.

and any judge that wants to keep working will put bias aside and judge the criteria on the sheet.

I know just in the band world, too many times I've heard "oh crap Ream is here".....then they get the tape and number and yeah, they can't argue with me because I called it the way the sheet dictates. I know someone trialing for DCI this year, and he raves about the integrity of the process just in training.Have some old timers gotten stuck in their ways? Sure. But DCi is actively recruiting and training to slowly weed some of them out