I have to agree - for many years they have been the best at 'hiding' park & bark. The section that is playing the most demanding technical bit is often standing still, while there is such a flurry of activity occurring at other locations on the field your eyes are drawn there, while your ears hear the musically-demanding technical part. It is brilliant show design.

You're so right about hiding these sections! I was "fooled" for a while with this concept before I realized what was going on when I first encountered it.

go to Allentown and color it maroon. happens everywhere with different teams

uh the Pasadena 2007 "event" has NEVER happened in Allentown

the Allentown crowd is polite and respectful, not drunk/high and extremely rude

as the other poster mentioned, the 2007 Rose Bowl final week was a black eye for the whole activity

I don't know.......

Seven corps......

Seven different shows.....seven very different styles...... seven diverse strengths

ALL very entertaining... "vive la difference" ....oops, they went on second.......

Yep. I prefer a bowl of neapolitan to just plain vanilla

If they were 65-ish, they didn't march in the Blue Devils when they were winning, if they ever did march. I marched in BAC in the somewhat bad old days of the late 60's. We were regularly booed in Massachusetts, and occasionally even spit at by blowsers entering the stadium. We did our talking on the field. Today at shows, I keep my mouth shut unless it's to cheer for something I appreciate. I never lose sight of the fact that every competitor works harder than we ever did "back in the day". Most importantly, the competitors are someone else's kids. These days, that crap is not tolerated in the stands in Massachusetts. If it occurs, people should not hesitate to speak up. If that should lead to unpleasantries, well then its a trip in the drum corps time machine, when the fans were a cross between roller derby and a biker bar.

Perhaps the loss of so many "great" corps over the years, coupled with the possibility that this whole activity could go away, made the entire DCI marketplace a lot more humble and a lot more supportive of anyone who tries to make this work.

Despite (and perhaps because of) all of the G7 stuff, it is very cool to see BD travel across the country to support BAC. I dare say that might not be the case back in the so called glory days of DCI.

I for one truly love how all of you support all of these corps, even the ones who are never very good and never will be. Tells me the activity has its heart in the right place.

• Like 1

snip

I was sitting in front of a couple of older (65+) ladies in the "B" section, row 12 if anyone else was near.. and I'd like to just say a few things to them, an "open letter" of sorts..:

Hey ladies..

Why do you go see DCI competitions? I only say this, because I never saw you smile, or heard a kind word from you, about much of anything last night. You were openly rude, and foul-mouthed, about every corps EXCEPT for the Blue Devils (I'm not harping on the Dev's here, just their fan-grannies)

Ladies, please take a moment to scan the audience around you.. I was there, right in front of you, with friends who are new fans of DCI, and their 7 year old daughter (who LOVED the corps).. You really made a serious BAD impression on them.

Let me just remind you of a few of the opinions that you made very clear last night..

snip

seriously, I've been to many many DCI performances in my life, both on and off the field. I can regretfully say, that I have never heard anything as violent, and full of hatred, as I heard from you ladies last night..

maybe you were cranky because of the horribly hot weather?

maybe you never got into the corps you wanted ?

please stay home next time.

J

What you described should cause EVERYONE to pause anytime we are about to speak out loud. It should have been obvious to them that they were being that discourteous, but in front of a 7-year old...... this has nothing to do with drum corps...... it has to do with decency and thinking before talking out of anger (or even disagreement with results)

That 7-year old saw a show that was one of the best in drum corps history, only to have adults (who probably have no connection to BD) show none of the class that BD shows 24/7.

My compliments to you, "MJ," for taking the time to type out the entire post. Maybe the ladies didn't even get to read it, but I did, and it made quite an impression on me. Our over-enthusiastic support for a drum corps ends right before someone else's ears........ and daughter.

Thank you, Mello.......

• Like 1

If they were 65-ish, they didn't march in the Blue Devils when they were winning, if they ever did march. I marched in BAC in the somewhat bad old days of the late 60's. We were regularly booed in Massachusetts, and occasionally even spit at by blowsers entering the stadium. We did our talking on the field. Today at shows, I keep my mouth shut unless it's to cheer for something I appreciate. I never lose sight of the fact that every competitor works harder than we ever did "back in the day". Most importantly, the competitors are someone else's kids. These days, that crap is not tolerated in the stands in Massachusetts. If it occurs, people should not hesitate to speak up. If that should lead to unpleasantries, well then its a trip in the drum corps time machine, when the fans were a cross between roller derby and a biker bar.

Agree. even when Star of Indiana came to Massachusetts, they were cheered.... never, ever booed. I don't recall a Corps in performance or after a performance ever being booed in a show in Massachusetts in the DCI era. That stuff is not tolerated in Massachusetts these days. No Corps in performance should ever, ever be booed, imo.

DCI Drum Corps is not really a " college sport " ,( even if some in DCI, and in its fanbase, want to characterize it as such )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

uh the Pasadena 2007 "event" has NEVER happened in Allentown

the Allentown crowd is polite and respectful, not drunk/high and extremely rude

as the other poster mentioned, the 2007 Rose Bowl final week was a black eye for the whole activity