2015 CD's are here!

Edits on the shows are absolutely seamless. Almost missed them in BKs show until I watched an original on YouTube.

Speaking of that show. Wow, I hope they keep moving in the direction they took in 2014. It's absolutely fantastic.

agree - BK is a rising force for sure. Both the 2014 and 2015 shows are designed so well.

And it is a different system now, and one I just don't like. The entire judging guide rewards all the elements I used to ignore in a show.

Can you elaborate more on this? What do you find unimportant in drum corps that the corps and judges nowadays admire?

Finally got done listening to all the shows at least once (though Vanguard, Cadets, and Bluecoats have all gotten multiple).

Been ages since I've bought a CD, never any DCI/Band ones. IMO they're a step up in quality, they sound fantastic. Will definitely be setting aside the $40 or so dollars for them every year.

Man, Genesis and Legends have incredibly bright futures. Loved both during the season, and they fit RIGHT in on that CD with their world class compatriots.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Can you elaborate more on this? What do you find unimportant in drum corps that the corps and judges nowadays admire?

I spent 45 minutes typing a reply and then hit one wrong button and *poof* it was gone.

I'll just say this: what I like about drum corps (dominant horn lines, jazz, cool drum lines, equipment work, reinventing and replaying beloved songs) was phased out about 5 years ago it seems. I have 30+ years of cd's full of what I liked, and that will do. Today's DCI is for a generation that grew up with YouTube, winter guard, and Bb horns. That's not my style.

Yes - clicks, pops and scratch never sounded better than on LPs. But they are also the only way to find any DCI prelims recordings from the 70's and 80's.

I can tell we have one person who has no clue how to care for vinyl.

DON'T TOUCH THE VINYL DILL WEED!

• Like 1

I can only assume you're speaking generally to the people from whom I bought my second-hand drum corps LPs from the 70's and 80's, Mr. Eloquent. All the LPs I bought new still sound like the day they were new, and yes, some of them were very noisy with clicks and pops when they were new...which was my point.

• Like 2

Either you were lottery-odds fortunate, or time has whitewashed your memory of the quality of vinyl generally in the decade following the onset of the 1970s oil crisis. DCI's LPs were not better than average back then. I remember I had to ask DCI to go the trouble of replacing one set of LPs that was substandard on the first playing. The replacement was better but far from ideal. And while one could reduce wear-and-tear by being exceptionally careful and using top-notch equipment, to some extent wear and tear was inevitable anyway if the recording was listened to enough. I don't miss vinyl, to say the least. Your mileage may vary.