Staff merri-go-round

IMO the composition of guard work was not a top 12 guard. The performing members rescued the guard by over achieving what was written! Keeping the WEAKEST link? Very logical? NOT!

Sadly this is true. The guard made what they were given clean but in reality the writing was unadventurous, lacked creativity and used the same device over and over again (e.g. a toss and catch on the end of a phrase/release). Compare this to any of the top 10 and sadly, it really doesn't stand well.

• Like 2

(after already losing Sacktig and Heimbecker) and nothing is changed at the highest level,

When it happened, it struck me that the BD hiring of the well-regarded Heimbecker should have been a huge wake-up call to the YEA board. The Blue Devils are the epitome of a well-run organization and when Gibbs was being spread too thin between the multiple performing groups, pro-sports drumlines, educational stuff and now instrument product lines, and they found someone they felt was of the caliber to entrust a portion of that responsiblility with in the YEA organization, it should have been apparent that attracting great people has never been the problem. The problem is these same people don't stay, over and over again. It very much resembles a repeated pattern.

A college professor once offered great advice: "the problem is either everyone else, or it's you."

• Like 3

I don't like seeing this happen to The Cadets. I really don't. I've seen bad things happen to Corps I love, and don't wish that sadness on anyone, even on people I may not particularly care for. I do have a large measure of empathy right now for Cadets alums, Cadets fans. Thats because, on the whole, the ones I've known over the years, and I know a large numbers of them, are terrific people, and gracious to other Corps, alums, fans. This is a transitional period within the Cadets. They will work thru this, and they will make decisions within their organization, that will be healthy for them in the long run. They will rebound.. perhaps quicker than some people realize. I can think of lots of fans, alums of other Corps that would lie down in the middle of the street of a busy highway if thats the faustian bargain that would need to be made in order to medal or win a Championship like the Cadets have done so many times in their stellar history. The Cadets will be fine. They will retool, and they will formidable on the field once again. I wish their Alums, Fans comfort during this transitional stage, and the very best.

• Like 4

With that being said, what do we expect from a community that has an annual post feasting on the job loss of others? It makes me wonder how many members have actually spent time with any of these professionals and their spouses and their children and have the ability to see them as actual human beings and not pieces and your little name of the fantasy football league.

Much like any other 'professional level sport', there are always changes each offseason, and speculation and discussion is always going to happen with them. Some people will be excited by those changes, others not. Welcome to the big leagues. As long as things dont get incredibly personal (big difference between 'this brass staff didnt perform' vs 'xyz brass caption head is terrible and sucks at life') its just to be expected.

Edited by AlexL

No but the way some alumni bashed those speaking up now makes those people go nuts with glee

Yes. It's always great to take joy in the failure of others. Makes for a great story.

• Like 1

Please cite, by post #, samples in this thread that you deem "deliberate attacks". We'll wait.

Just FYI folks, this thread is being monitored by the mods and, with one exception, the posts have passed muster - IMO sanitizing the board would be a disservice to the members and the activity. We only try to keep the place clean, safe, interesting and on topic. Discussion, debate and diversity is encouraged and healthy.....down to a certain point, of course.

Sorry for the interruption. Time to head back to "the cave" to stir the cauldron, light a candle and groove to some incantations.

Carry on....

With that being said, what do we expect from a community that has an annual post feasting on the job loss of others? It makes me wonder how many members have actually spent time with any of these professionals and their spouses and their children and have the ability to see them as actual human beings and not pieces and your little name of the fantasy football league.

I'm not sure that's the right way to interpret a post called "merry-go-round". Most years, staff leave Corps A and go to Corps B. And the staff formerly at Corps B wind up somewhere else, maybe not with exactly the same responsibilities. It's pretty natural that fans of A and B are going to want to talk about those changes, and I'd expect that most of staff are pros and can deal with that. So far this thread has stayed pretty clean on personal attacks on individuals - the closest has been the commentary on the Troopers' brass instructor IMO.

The comments on Cadets seem pretty well within bounds of reasonable criticism. Saying that YEA has lots of turnover, and low employee satisfaction, and problems retaining key staff (big understatement, if rumors are true) is not a personal attack on George Hopkins. The CEO of any organization is accountable for the decisions and results of the organization, and those seem like fair criticisms of his org.

• Like 1