"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

Now that I've seen the first three episodes, I question whether there is enough sizzle around the daily drama of the kids to fuel (no pun intended) a drum corps reality series. Maybe the next episode will start building some tension, but right now I don't really feel like I'm learning much from one episode to the next. What am I going to miss if I don't watch the next episode? Really don't have any clue.

It may just be me, but I think there's a lot more angst if you show both sides of a show — design and performance, adults and kids. I want to see Scott and his team struggle with design, and the marching members struggle with implementation. To me that's interesting.

When you call a show Clash of the Corps, and the two corps don't even compete directly against each other for the vast majority of the season, it just seems like much ado about not a lot.

• Like 2

I missed episode 3 because it was not on the internet or hop's site etc...I'll wait til the end of the show and maybe rent hulu for a week and watch them all at the same time...I like to binge watch online with other shows anyway...lol

That's a good idea. You could definitely binge watch in a week for zero dollars. Good thinking!
  • Like 1

Concerning DCI buying advertising on the show...not sure what it would get them? I'm guessing anyone that made it past episode 1 knows all about DCI and where/how to get any info they might want. I'm not surprised to hear the ratings took a significant drop.

Even here on DCP it's certainly not generating much interest. There's only about 10 of us that have made any comments.

I talked to some band kids last night and asked if any had watched an episode. A couple mentioned they had seen the first episode on line, but nothing since. One of them mentioned "why watch a show about drum corps when all you hear is music that has nothing to do with drum corps? I can actually listened to drum corps by just going to YouTube."

I understand licensing is an issue, but does that apply to showing small 15-30 second "snippets" of a production? Maybe it does, but you hear a lot of that every weekend watching college football and basketball games. I'd be shocked if ESPN is paying licensing fees every time we hear "Hang On Sloopy" in the background of an OSU game.

Oh well...still nice to see something about drum corps on TV...especially after the season.

One of them mentioned "why watch a show about drum corps when all you hear is music that has nothing to do with drum corps? I can actually listened to drum corps by just going to YouTube."

Yep, that's what I anticipated. Kids who are interested in drum corps are far more interested in BD360-type of videos that shows you a lot more "true" behind the scenes production footage...and real music performance. Again, not entirely sure who Fuse felt the market was for the show.

• Like 1

Given the fact that this is more of a "reality" show,I never expected to see much in the way of performances.

Just like, when ESPN did their broadcast,I expected performances,not interviews.

It will be interesting,knowing how the season went,to see how they try to create "drama" between the two corps.

i'm also interested to see how they handle Finals.

Looking back,a Clash of the Corps for BD vs the Bluecoats would have been epic,especially given the completely different styles last season.

Given the fact that this is more of a "reality" show,I never expected to see much in the way of performances.

Just like, when ESPN did their broadcast,I expected performances,not interviews.

It will be interesting,knowing how the season went,to see how they try to create "drama" between the two corps.

i'm also interested to see how they handle Finals.

Looking back,a Clash of the Corps for BD vs the Bluecoats would have been epic,especially given the completely different styles last season.

In my opinion, I think we (as people who have experienced and understand the activity) need to look at this show from the eyes of somebody who does't know as much as we do. Approaching the show more a human interest side will make it appeal to a wider audience. As much as some don't want to admit it, this show was not made/intended for people who already understand/love the activity. if the episodes were filled with performance clips the "outsider" watcher would think......"oh look marching band"

The production of the show began in November of 2015......nobody at that time would have known that the BD vs. Bluecoats would have been more "exciting". So again, from a production stand point following the 2 corps that collectively have 27 DCI championships would make more sense.

I know George Hopkins takes a lot heat on these messages boards....but I have to respect his openness and honesty so far in the series. It takes a lot to admit that things aren't working out the way he would have hoped early season......I think many directors would shy away from that.

Edited by dbg

Frankly, does drum corps really have any drama to begin with?

If there are any surprises at all, it happens at the beginning of the season. From there, everything evolves slowly. There aren't any sudden shifts of fortune.

We at DCP, make drama from the tiniest of events, e.g. one corps that was behind another corps by half a point yesterday, beat them today by half a point. Wow! So exciting.

In hindsight, there would have been two interesting stories to follow this past season: Bluecoats and Academy.

But, no one could have predicted that last November.

As a sidenote, did Cadets and Blue Devils ever do a Drumline Battle against each other this past season. At the very least, that might have fulfilled the show's promise.

• Like 1

It's probably because the average non-drum corps fan wouldn't be able to discern huge differences in scores...so makes it seem the competition is closer among everyone than it actually is with scores...just my speculation of course...

You and Mike are probably correct. If we on DCP can't understand the scores, how would a newbie to the activity?

• Like 2

Frankly, does drum corps really have any drama to begin with?

If there are any surprises at all, it happens at the beginning of the season. From there, everything evolves slowly. There aren't any sudden shifts of fortune.

We at DCP, make drama from the tiniest of events, e.g. one corps that was behind another corps by half a point yesterday, beat them today by half a point. Wow! So exciting.

In hindsight, there would have been two interesting stories to follow this past season: Bluecoats and Academy.

But, no one could have predicted that last November.

As a sidenote, did Cadets and Blue Devils ever do a Drumline Battle against each other this past season. At the very least, that might have fulfilled the show's promise.

Well, Bluecoats and Cadets would have been compelling because they faced each other head to head so many times. Despite trying, they haven't proven any "clash" whatsoever between cadets and BD.

• Like 1

Well, Bluecoats and Cadets would have been compelling because they faced each other head to head so many times. Despite trying, they haven't proven any "clash" whatsoever between cadets and BD.

When did they first face off against each other this past season? Was it the Dekalb show?