Crowd Reactions to shows

Its sometimes difficult to separate if the audience is cheering loudly because they love the show, or they are pulling for the Corps for historic/ sentimental reasons, or a combination thereof. DCI fans have traditionally been exceedingly enthusiastic to witness the following. ( no particular order, imo ). A) a Corps in good position to win their 1st DCI title... b) a Corps in position to win a spot in the Top 12 at Finals for their 1st time.... c) a Corps to place in the TOP 12 for their 1st time in perhaps many a year.  d) a Corps top another Corps in competition for the 1st time, or for the first time in head to head match ups in perhaps decades.  If the Corps show in such a season is also fan friendly, well that just sends most fans into an over the moon enthusiastic audience reception. Fans without a dog in the hunt, like most fans in sports, love the underdog.

Edited by BRASSO

The end of 92 VK was pretty crazy. The crowd was very loud...then the shark eats the fat lady and the crowd on the recordings gets noticably louder. 

1992 as a whole was a good year for crowd reaction. Madison, SCV, Cavaliers, VK, all had excellent crowd reaction. 

Z

Edited by MikeZ
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

The end of 92 VK was pretty crazy. The crowd was very loud...then the shark eats the day lady and the crowd on the recordings gets noticably louder. 

1992 as a whole was a good year for crowd reaction. Madison, SCV, Cavaliers, VK, all had excellent crowd reaction. 

Z

That's my favorite drum corps year ever.  Maybe, it's because that was my first year with knowledge of the activity, and there were so many good shows, that you can still just listen straight through the Finals recordings without going, "Well, let's skip this one."

2 hours ago, E3D said:

I was not there to witness that. If so then that is truly sad and uncalled for. 

Still the show IN MY OPINION was an embarrassment to the corps members. I will never forget it for ONE reason. IT MADE ME UNCOMFORTABLE to watch and I felt embarrassed for the members. JUST an opinion. 

JUST an opinion NOT based on facts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

So I was watching Madison Scouts 1988 and the crowd seemed really excited; the only other show I'm aware of that got a similar reactions was Bluecoats' show this year. I was wondering if y'all could think of any other shows that got a similar kind of reaction from the audience? Or any shows that got a particularly negative response?

A couple that come to mind just off the top of my head,

2008, 2003 and 2011 Phantom

Actually the whole dci champ week in 2008 was probably the best I been to. 2011 was a good one to. 

crown 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011

scv 2004 and 2005

1995 and 1999 Madison

Jersey Surf.. you know the one :)

Many have mentioned 1994 27 which was amazing but the Madison Scout reunion corps in 2006 was equally magical 

Edited by Triple Forte

7 hours ago, Geneva said:

I think the crowd roar at the conclusion of St. Kevin's performance at the 1964 Dream in Jersey City is amazing. It is captured on the Fleetwood recording.

The crowds at the Dream over the years really loved their D&BC even if the corps was from another state. I played the 59 Princemen from a FB post and that was a very good crowd.  The stadium design may have had something to do with the volume. 

Edited by Ghost

In all my years of going to DCI Finals, no corps every produced more audience reaction than did the Madison Scouts of 1995.  That was the loudest, craziest crowd; and Madison must have received 5 or 6 ovations throughout the show.  One of those was when they marched on the field.  It was a freakin' rock concert of epic proportions.

In general, Madison Scouts have typically been the corps with the best overall crowd reaction - especially from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  My favorites are 75, 81, 82, 88, 92, 95, 97, and 99.  

The Phantom Regiment can also light-up a crowd when they get a show to really purr. We all remember 2008, but when they closed with Elsa's just a few years ago they killed it. Their 2003 show is one of my favorite music books.  1996 is killer good, as is 1989, 1987, and 1984.

In more recent years, I believe Carolina Crown is grabbing the crowd better than the others.  Bluecoats have done a tremendous job here as well in the last 3 years; but Carolina is constantly putting on shows that drive the crowds crazy.  They are the biggest fan favorite of any of the corps presently competing. 

• Like 3