Corps staffers gather: What would you tell them

Entertaining the audience should weigh more in GE captions.  My college band director (Mr. Jack White ULM, The Sound of Today) called it the popcorn effect.  Move the audience enough that the guy eating popcorn will get up and applaud.  I would also figure out a way in visual to give credit to the EE (Exposure to Error) scoring.  Finally, judging should have no impact on whether corps should change uniform design or completely change unis.  My $0.02.  

Edited by lameisrob

Well this thread took an unexpected turn... all I'm going to say that skinny does not equal anorexia, chubbiness does not equal obesity, and that corps select members on physical ability, marching technique, and talent (whether it be horn, drums, colorguard). A lot of the members in the top guards happen to have abs, mostly because the extreme demands asked of them require being very fit in order to perform at the highest level throughout a 12 minute show. 

Bodybydrumcorps is a body positivity campaign that allows members to showcase their comfort with their bodies. Notice many of the people in the campaign do not, by any means, have the "chiseled" look that is idealized by society. But they are proud of their bodies nonetheless and that's what it's all about. Suggesting otherwise is kind of offensive honestly. 

ANYWAYS, if I was talking with some corps staff, I'd tell them to ignore the loud, vocal minority and keep doing what they're doing. Take a look at the next generation of fans on Reddit and you'll find that most enjoy today's shows and that's what is going to keep the activity going in the future. 

Id tell them to not completely forget the corps' identity by shedding costumes every year and try to find a healthy balance between a flexible, breathable costume that still respects the corps' history 

I'd tell them to adopt rehearsal styles that don't lead to injuries within the corps 

I'd tell them to keep pushing the boundaries of design without forgetting that drum corps first and foremost should prioritize marching and playing well. 

• Like 6

NOTE: just having some fun below. Do not take seriously. The following is me speaking to the directors.

----------------------------------------

Thank you for allowing me to speak. I have made some changes to the judging forms and criteria needed for success. They are as follows:

1. GE judge 1 will decide whether your show is engaging the audience, and if so at what level of quality. All the musical and visual elements will be evaluated in this determination. If your show is losing the audience, this will result in a 5 point deduction. If your show is reaching half the audience you will receive a 2.5 point deduction.  I know, it's subjective; kind of like your build-up system. :blink:  As you improve your show, your deductions will go away.
  2. GE judge 2 will determine quality of overall construction and coordination of music and visual. If visual does not match music (because music comes first) you will receive a 5 point deduction until the visual is rewritten to make sense and coordinate with music construction.  If your music is choppy and poorly constructed this will likely affect GE Judge 1. So that other 5 point deduction may be coming if the show is not connecting to the audience. 
  3. Performance captions will mostly be judged as they are presently. If it is determined that you have written a book (brass, percussion, pit, guard) that is too hard for the kids, a 5 point deduction will be given. 
  4. The Visual caption will be broken into 4 parts: Drill, Execution, Guard, Integration. Drill will break down into sub captions Content and Readability.  Execution will break down into Technique, Achievement.  Guard will break down into Content, Skills, Achievement. And Integration will break down into Quality and Content. 
  5. Come July 10 if you still do not have a closing number on the field you will be penalized 25% percent of your score. :mat: If you score a 74.5, your penalized new score will be 55.875. It sucks, but then again we want the fans to see a full show -- even if it's not your final ending. At least get something on the field.
  6. If for some reason it is determined your show is not CLEAN by Finals, a 2.5 point deduction will be implemented for failure to teach. :unsure:

I really feel this is going to add to the excitement of DCI competition. Staff firings should skyrocket. Rumors should escalate, which in turn is really good for DCP and other forums.

There will be immense pressure to coordinate well and please the audience, and also to get clean and teach well.  We really think this will make you all better designers and teachers.  Let's face it, if you begin competition with a bad design and not very entertaining show (5 point deduction), poor coordination (5 points), a performance caption or two written too hard for the kids (2.5 to 5 points), well you could be looking at 12.5 to 15 points in deductions. Come July 10 if those problems are not fixed and you have not yet put a closer on the show, add another 25% to the deductions. 

I also wish to mention that we were looking for a way for smaller corps to beat the Big Boys. Groups like Pioneer, Genesis and others may pull some upsets. :thumbs-up:

We really like the possibilities and disruptive nature of this system. On occasion we are hoping some soccer match-style fights will break out at shows, just to encourage fan interaction. :fight:

Have fun and good luck this season! :lle:

Edited by jwillis35

On 7/23/2017 at 5:29 PM, xandandl said:

Re: http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211655391

So here's your chance. You have the podium and have been awarded the mic from Dan Potter and Brandt Crocker. 

You've seen the shows this season and past. You have your experience and your opinions. You have the attention of everyone in the room.

Now seeking to be professional and not limiting yourself to homerism, you wish to respect all but want them to hear you and listen. So what is it your are going to tell them?  

So ecoimg what many have said already....

We have witnessed experimentation with amplification, electronic instruments, narration and signing.   I believe in most cases the use of these items has had a negative effect on the overall drum corps sound. Please revert the rules that allow these elements to be used. Also, please explain to me how the overuse of and overpowering bass synth adds to the overall texture of sound for the musical ensemble?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Please plug in your amplification system to the power box provided. A meter will measure total wattage consumed during the period between the judge's start signal and the conclusion of the performance. A point deduction will be calculated in proportion to the number of watts consumed.

Wow. I love this idea 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 2:22 PM, Newseditor44 said:

Or quoting my friend Notabando: anananana hhhhopkkkkkinnssssswwwwwwwooookieeszzzzzzzzzz

haha!

Notabando got tired of DCP and left....

fhgdfjhfhjhghggdhgjdfghdghfdjghjfcbkvggzzzz

• Like 1

I'll throw in my hat.

DCI staff members, if you're not listening to what the kids who join this activity want already, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY WANT. Talk to them about the shows that inspired them to march where they wanted to march. Experiment with them and see what works for them and what doesn't. Sure, they should trust the process of the design team, but if there's something that they're not comfortable in the activity or the specific corps they're marching, listen to them and apply that to the future. Use exit and entrance surveys to find out what they like and dislike about the corps and the activity overall in order to dictate what the future should be like. If they don't like vocalists or spandex uniforms or going headgearless or whatever, don't go against their grain. In general, don't be egotistical dictators to the kids. This activity isn't all about you, nor is it about the alumni/longtime fans that came before (although that's pretty much a given). Let the kids lead.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I'll throw in my hat.

DCI staff members, if you're not listening to what the kids who join this activity want already, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY WANT. Talk to them about the shows that inspired them to march where they wanted to march. Experiment with them and see what works for them and what doesn't. Sure, they should trust the process of the design team, but if there's something that they're not comfortable in the activity or the specific corps they're marching, listen to them and apply that to the future. Use exit and entrance surveys to find out what they like and dislike about the corps and the activity overall in order to dictate what the future should be like. If they don't like vocalists or spandex uniforms or going headgearless or whatever, don't go against their grain. In general, don't be egotistical dictators to the kids. This activity isn't all about you, nor is it about the alumni/longtime fans that came before (although that's pretty much a given in this activity). Let the kids lead.

At least one corps that I know of does survey a couple of times during the year - including exit surveys as you suggest.  

Considering your point about listening to the members and giving them what they want, it's interesting that when contracts are given out in the fall and early winter, members proudly sign them and pay the tour fees, all without knowledge of what it is they will be asked to perform the next summer.  Unlike a casting call when there is a specific role in mind - the performer knows what they're getting into.   Perhaps drum corps, morphing into a more theatrical, stage-like-on-the field activity, may consider this method of "casting" in the future.

• Like 2