The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, camel lips said:

Can't speak for today's DCA but up until 2009 that was pretty common place for DCA ALL AGE corps to shower together. No one thought anything about it. When DCA ALL AGE Corps would visit DCI sites we (adults)  would shower with the DCI corps and nothing was thought or said about it. Imma sure this will be a game changer for the DCA rules and regulations as well when visiting DCI show sites. Even though DCA is largely a Youth generated activity now days. 

There is a lot that has changed over the years. Today a lot less acceptable with many good reasons. I remember many members.. most over 18 dating even marrying staff members back in the day. Now that's not an excuse for bad behavior no matter when it was or unwanted behavior toward anyone who didn't want it  or that staff and older corps members should have engaged in dating but it did happen , often

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Having stopped reading this topic at page 8, if not posted already, one might cringe once the major networks look into this.  What are the chances some parents might make their children with a Cadets contract leave the corps before ST?

i live in the Philadelphia TV market.  I'll have to see if one of the network stations picks up this story. 

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Trying not to derail, Jeff. This IS similar in how it's shaking the foundations of this activity. A lot of people seem not to know a lot of things they should know about abuse and the character of those who do. Trying to educate, not derail.

i'm telling you what an admin/mod whispered to me.

leave it out

From Facebook, to Philly.com, to Drum Corps Planet. What a dreadful thing to read.   I'm hoping an praying that we are not about to see a lot more of these types of stories popping up.   This is bad... really bad.

George Hopkins must immediately resign.   Allegations like those on Philly.com can not only hurt the corps, but could be a problem for Drum Corps as a whole.  I'm absolutely mortified.

• Like 1

This is sad, and while Cadets and it’s director always stirs debate, this is a whole different ball game. Personally I do feel George Hopkins needs to step aside. He should not wait for the board to fire him or wait out the storm. Drum corps is first and foremost about the kids. The possibility there may not be enough marching members for Cadets is real. Now that allegations have been leveled, parents may not let the kids march, and even though many are college age, Mom and Dad still exert control and in many cases issue the checks. Kids themselves don’t tolerate allegations either. Other corps could face challenges as well. Remember, many instructors have been associated with Cadets. Cover ups are seen as almost equally wrong. If it is ever discovered people knew and either ignored or covered up accusations, their credibility is at risk. 

While I thought I heard every GH rumor out there, I have never heard allegations of this nature. This is also why so many of us have said in different threads there needs to be individual corps policies and DCI standards. I understand how DCI is structured and it’s not according to many DCI’s job, but they have financial rules and could have standards regarding protecting minors and in the case of those over eighteen, policies that ensure sexual misconduct will not be accepted. Now anything DCI and individual corps do will appear to be reactive which is not the best way to act.

5 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

The things Hopkins says are true is enough to have a normal CEO removed from the position. He admits to "consensual" relationships with corps members and employees. He did share a hotel room with a female subordinate at the DCI meetings. This alone should disqualify him holding the job. 

Considering the fact that so many members who have aged out then go on to be instructors with the same corps we might expect to see a few instances of inappropriate behavior, but this goes way beyond that.   The accusations made by these women are not only inappropriate, but criminal.

Edited by bluesman
spelling
  • Like 1

Stomach turning. If they don’t get in front of this quickly (e.g. George needs to step down or be fired), members and staff could start jumping ship en mass, and fast. The first thing that popped into my head was Harry Knowles and the aintitcoolnews site. (In Austin, Texas.) When that story broke publicly they had a near total staff turnover, practically overnight. He eventually stepped down, but the damage had been done. He and the site became an instant pariah and other associations, such as those with Alamo Drafthouse, were cut as well. Similar things could happen with the Cadets. They need to act NOW. 

• Like 1

I really do wonder what this means for DCI as a whole. I've definitely heard my fair share about people in high places that aren't Hop doing things of this nature, and am wondering what this does to those organizations and am wondering how they deal with what potentially may be coming their way. There is definitely a need to get out ahead of further allegations coming from around the activity that in all likelihood will come, and come soon.