The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Assumed intent is apparently a damnable crime.

Damnable? I think that's outside our abilities to determine.

"Into the ultimate judgement upon Gollum I would not care to enquire. This would be to investigate 'Goddes privitee', as the Medievals said."

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would be surprised if any are all over 18 or 21 but thought there was one due to legal reasons. Mid to late 70s think Cabs and Sky were the only real all over 21 corps due to getting enough age outs. Buccs had a few in the horn line as they were behind me at CD.

Actually no I have a relative who was in the cabs in the mid 70s and they were 18 BUT it was a big deal and rare

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I guess you solicited support. I was only pointing out that I clearly understand your position.  However I’m more than capable of defending my position as well and didn’t need the interruption or explanation from the peanut gallery on your position. 

No one solicited my support.  I just believe in truth, fairness, and being rational.  This issue is too important to forsake those things. And I believe this discussion should be about solutions, helping the victims, preventing future problems and so forth rather than demonizing others on DCP.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I am not disagreeing with people who do not think this man should have been given a second chance, quite the opposite. My comments are  for those who are claiming that since he was not found guilty on more serious charges, he should be given a second chance at a similar job. There are enough reasons at a minimum to question his judgment and reasons why he should not work with minors. I also do not recall saying or implying “ignorance of the law.” Ideal teachers are lifelong learners, have probably had to sit through school law seminars, and if they have not, great resources are available on line.

Now its more clearer to me what you believe, Tim K... thanks for that clarification. I did read above where you stated " perhaps he was not aware of the law ", and that is why  I responded to that portion of your commentary above the way I did with him. But I'm glad to learn you are in the group that believes people like this should not be future found around Youth groups of any kind after such despicable incidents. I believe we are the prevailing majority on this thinking. 'Hard to really know however. Sad if we arn't, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

No one solicited my support.  I just believe in truth, fairness, and being rational.  This issue is too important to forsake those things. And I believe this discussion should be about solutions, helping the victims, preventing future problems and so forth rather than demonizing others on DCP.  

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Would be surprised if any are all over 21 but thought there was one due to legal reasons. Mid to late 70s think Cabs and Sky were the only real all over 21 corps due to getting enough age outs. Buccs had a few in the horn line as they were behind me at CD.

About 40 years ago... yeah it's been that long Jim... :laugh:

Yeah, some of the bigger names were pretty much all older, guys at least in the mid-20's. Some women. I forget what year the Cabs let women in the guard and then allowed women into the rest of the corps.

Things began to change in the early/mid 70's for just about everyone in DCA with their "typical member" metrics becoming:

-More women, in some cases having women in the corps at all.

-Younger. A lot, lot younger. I remember a conversation with Mita Prime (lovely lady!) expressing her total shock when she found out I marched DCA at 16, why didn't I go to Crossmen, Finleyville, Cadets, or Bridgemen instead of those Senior dens of utter iniquity? (Guess I could have gone to those Junior dens of iniquity... :laugh:) I had to explain things were changing even then, Jim Sr. (Great mentor and friend) just chuckled for some time at her.  :satisfied:

-More ethnically diverse and integrated (This struggle effectively wiped out one DCA corps. Personally, I'm thrilled that the activity has more and more faces that look like America does look on the field now.)

For those younger people wondering why, Corps couldn't get people to maintain numbers. Corps were shrinking pretty badly. In the case of the Westshoremen... I think Larry Hershman realized something before everyone else in DCA did. Competition Marching Band was really taking hold hard in Central PA and there were kids like Jim, my sister, and myself bringing at least some experience from that and wanted to march somewhere. The corps built heavily on that cadre. It took some time, but when those kids were there for 3-5 seasons or more, it paid off massive dividends.

Now that's pretty much the model in DCA but drawing more heavily from the indoor scene rather than just the competitive bands. Otherwise... they;d have zilch. Zip. Nada.

It’s a little interesting to sit back and watch the mob response to some of these important topics. As illustrated in the 2017 Boston Crusaders program, trial by mob is never a “best practice”

I am also drawn to Kanye’s recent comments about mob think and the left silencing/shutting down opposing viewpoints. 

A lot of both suddenly going on in this thread imo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, garfield said:

Assumed intent is apparently a damnable crime.

I'm just now setting up a camera in a shoe box with a hole cut in it. Going to set it here in my office. See how this all works out for me. 

There is a reason there are recording laws and rules for states, businesses etc. 

I'm going to call up someone I know from the 79 - 82 time frame who will most likely have a take on the "beginnings" of the teen wolfs troubles. 

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

I'm just now setting up a camera in a shoe box with a hole cut in it. Going to set it here in my office. See how this all works out for me. 

Good... luck. :blink:

Heck, where I work, unless you have a special sticker for your phone... which is a PITA to get, they don't want it inside the building. And it's known there are hidden cameras inside certain areas. Union's evidently had some issues on that subject.