The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

54 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hey, I'm not doubting you. I just think the preponderance of the comments negative towards GH were for things not having to do with his abusing the hired help. Pivoting, I appreciate Tim K and Guardling's recent comments. They show some insight that I was hoping to read here. 

Thank You:14_relaxed: and you're welcome, as I said I only know what I do know ( sometimes it's not a good thing..lol )

Edited by GUARDLING

16 hours ago, BigW said:

If I had said that I knew a YEA employee that GH sexually harassed before this all hit, and I indeed do, a lot of people would have came down on me like a ton of bricks. There would have been a lot of:

"You're just saying that to discredit and slander GH! Name your sources! You're making this up! You rotten Cadet H8ter! You have an agenda!" :whistle:

The mods would also have had words with me, I'm certain. So I sat on it.

And yes, several of us tried to say to people seeking employment there that GH's treatment of employees at YEA was less than stellar- (the sexual issues were unknown, that wasn't why we spoke up), that everyone we knew lasted less than a year- something wasn't right there.

It's been mentioned on several others posts and related threads the common thread of just about everyone who took a job there who was warned- '...opportunity of a lifetime'. 'I'll make a difference'. 'It won't happen to me'.  A lot of very sincere enthusiasm for the YEA mission that was really misplaced and not their fault, now those that tried to warn them, either.

My first full time teaching job was inner-city. I thought I too would make a difference and survive. I was one of 6 directors in 5 years. I at least made it through the year, then left. The replacement for me lasted 2 weeks and ran out the door when he got another offer. And, it left me pretty bitter. It wasn't the kids, it was because of an utterly inept, idiotic (I could go on with it but will not) administration who placed other priorities instead of education ahead of it. So, I know what happened with these people and feel for them.

I'm trying very hard to not get involved in this thread; however, do you have to make this about you?

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Hey, I'm not doubting you. I just think the preponderance of the comments negative towards GH were for things not having to do with his abusing the hired help. Pivoting, I appreciate Tim K and Guardling's recent comments. They show some insight that I was hoping to read here. 

there have been many threads in which his postings in his blog or elsewhere and comments made towards employees have been raked over the coals, and the Glassdoor stuff has been discussed on here for a long time. While yes, his show design choices have been criticized roundly, I know of posts as far back as 7/8 years ago, when he wrote a blog post about "people leaving for love" he was raked over the coals, because the choice that former employee made was due to a family member in ill health, not some young pup quitting to run off with a fling.

• Thanks 1

That was June 2009 for the young love crap as hit while I was on vacation.  Hell that it is part of my vacation memory 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, dans said:

I'm trying very hard to not get involved in this thread; however, do you have to make this about you?

Irony is you know the school district..... 

I believe some of the sentiments being expressed in this thread are very dangerous, unfair and frankly more than a bit disgusting 

Hopkins is at fault. There is zero evidence that ANYONE else supported or aided him in this. The BOD (dismissed) also bears some fault as providing a safe environment is part of their responsibility of oversight. Both those guilty parties are gone

It is unfair to cast blame on an entire organization for the actions of a single individual. Especially when the individual controlled (in many ways) the events which allows his abuse; and apparently swayed selection and influence over the board of “oversight”

People here who are assuming others were aware and complicit (several here have implied it is a certainty) is frankly both disgusting and ridiculous 

The many excellent members, instructors, volunteers and designers associated with the Cadets the past 4 decades deserve our respect and support during this most difficult time. In many ways they are all victims of his horrific actions.

lets not cast blame and assume the worst with zero evidence, let’s support the members and the organization as they struggle to move forward as best possible 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I believe some of the sentiments being expressed in this thread are very dangerous, unfair and frankly more than a bit disgusting 

Hopkins is at fault. There is zero evidence that ANYONE else supported or aided him in this. The BOD (dismissed) also bears some fault as providing a safe environment is part of their responsibility of oversight. Birth hose guilty parties are gone

It is unfair to cast blame on an entire organization for the actions of a single individual. Especially when the individual controlled (in many ways) the events which allows his abuse; and apparently swayed selection and influence over the board of “oversight”

People here who are assuming others were aware and complicit (several here have implied it is a certainty) is frankly both disgusting and ridiculous 

The many excellent members, instructors, volunteers and designers associated with the Cadets the past 4 decades deserve our respect and support during this most difficult time. In many ways they are all victims of his horrific actions.

lets not cast blame and assume the worst with zero evidence, let’s support the members and the organization as they struggle to move forward as best possible 

On the flip side, with something like this that has been going on for so long, with attention brought to the (former) board and nothing happened, the organization would need to earn my trust again. Three weeks doesn't do it, IMO. Do I think everyone knew what was going on? No. Do I think some knew? Yes. 

10 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

On the flip side, with something like this that has been going on for so long, with attention brought to the (former) board and nothing happened, the organization would need to earn my trust again. Three weeks doesn't do it, IMO. Do I think everyone knew what was going on? No. Do I think some knew? Yes. 

The former board was a blank check for Hopkins. That's clear when they "didn't do anything" - which is why as soon as Hopkins was gone they ran after him.

Regaining our full trust is something YEA! MUST earn, that will take time, transparency, decisive actions and full accountability for anything (further) that could be uncovered

Now on your last sentence "do I think some new? yes" - well there ya go. I personally don't assume the worse about people. I don't believe for a second that anyone currently with the organization knew Hopkins was sexually harassing and abusing members and staff. If evidence emerges that proves otherwise - then we'll know that. I do believe folks currently associated with the Cadets/YEA thought he was a "angry" manager and narcissistic personality. Perhaps they share blame for not "speaking up" more about the toxic work environment. I do know folks tried - and they were shown the door (by Hopkins).

Edited by George Dixon

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The former board was a blank check for Hopkins. That's clear when they "didn't do anything" - which is why as soon as Hopkins was gone they ran after him.

Regaining our full trust is something YEA! MUST earn, that will take time, transparency, decisive actions and full accountability for anything (further) that could be uncovered

Now on your last sentence "do I think some new? yes" - well there ya go. I personally don't assume the worse about people. I don't believe for a second that anyone currently with the organization knew Hopkins was sexually harassing and abusing members and staff. If evidence emerges that proves otherwise - then we'll know that. I do believe folks currently associated with the Cadets/YEA thought he was a "angry" manager and narcissistic personality. Perhaps they share blame for not "speaking up" more about the toxic work environment. I do know folks tried - and they were shown the door (by Hopkins).

I'm also looking at this from the perspective of - "would I send my kid there?" No, I wouldn't. Too much risk at this point. They'll recover, but some time needs to pass before I would have a comfort level with them. 

Legal point with George’s post above. According to the training I get if you are responsible for an organization and ignore sexual assault or harassment you can be prosecuted. Makes me doubt that the old BoD as a body knew and did not report. Individual members who knows but hopefully time will tell either way