Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I like Dan but he’s stepped in a big pile of you know what. 

Well, I think most of us have marched behind the horses in various parades ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

People I work with that have no idea about this other than me mentioning something from time to time saw the articles and asked me "wow and you support the place?"

Ask them how many professional sports events they have watched/attended/supported in the last year ... hopefully they can discern between bad actors and an entire activity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

It is about filling a vacancy if one is serious about cleaning out any hint of conflict of interest.  The structure of the activity has permitted and encouraged leadership by people who make their own decisions based on their own intuition.  You're talking about institutionalizing it at the DCI level.  Fine, I get it.

Who, now, among the other directors, is sufficiently above suspicion and/or reproach that they will be accepted as a Board chair?  And, if they aren't allowed to act on their own intuition, meaning they have to get approval from the other director BoD members, is DCI just simply allowing a different set of foxes in to run the hen house?  

So, we shrug our shoulders and dejectedly say, "they all do it". There's nothing to be done?  I don't buy that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So, we shrug our shoulders and dejectedly say, "they all do it". There's nothing to be done?  I don't buy that. 

Didn't suggest that at all.  The point is: Is there ANY corps director that would have support at board chair?

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It is about filling a vacancy if one is serious about cleaning out any hint of conflict of interest.  The structure of the activity has permitted and encouraged leadership by people who make their own decisions based on their own intuition.  You're talking about institutionalizing it at the DCI level.  Fine, I get it.

Who, now, among the other directors, is sufficiently above suspicion and/or reproach that they will be accepted as a Board chair?  And, if they aren't allowed to act on their own intuition, meaning they have to get approval from the other director BoD members, is DCI just simply allowing a different set of foxes in to run the hen house?  

I know of a former director who might be looking for work...name is Geo......oh, wait. Never mind!   :bluedevil:   

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, garfield said:

They'll still have their livelihoods - running their corps - but the structure under which they do that will change.

What will likely affect them is the cost that each corps must bear to institutionalize and implement the new structure, and this is where the pushback will be focused, IMO.

well they can ##### about costs, or they can suck it up and hope they don't get a subpoena

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I know of a former director who might be looking for work...name is Geo......oh, wait. Never mind!   :bluedevil:   

No.. that guy will be busy in an industry that designs automobile license plates.

Hope he's ok with the traditional uniforms they wear there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Ask them how many professional sports events they have watched/attended/supported in the last year ... hopefully they can discern between bad actors and an entire activity.

oh we've had some engaging conversations. But...pro sports are NOT labeled as a youth activity. So let's cut the semantics here. Pro sports are paid athletes. 

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Didn't suggest that at all.  The point is: Is there ANY corps director that would have support at board chair?

if they didnt harass or assault or hide those that did....yes.

background checks can be a wonderful thing. would help us tremendously in all facets of life. I get them to write mortgages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if they didnt harass or assault or hide those that did....yes.

background checks can be a wonderful thing. would help us tremendously in all facets of life. I get them to write mortgages.

Same here for pulling teeth and such. It’s not that hard to do; these corps need to make it happen. Like, yesterday.