Chester Tour of Champions - August 01, 2018

4 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

We experienced the rudeness from staff from BAC at a show in Texas,  they found empty seats in front of us and were very vocal and annoying.  But there is a solution.  Staff watching a show should blend in with the crowd, applauding when the crowd does and keeping quiet when the crowd is quiet.  There is no reason why they must applaud and yell when minor (but perhaps what the were wanting to see) things happen.  And yes, it was the guard staff in front of us.  "nice catch, xxx!" and "YES" shouted 50 times during an 11 minute show is disruptive to the customers in the stand.  This is something the administration of ALL corps need to teach their educational staff.  Being polite to the paying customers will bring rewards.  Take notes all you want, but blend into the crowd.  

No, we did not push back at them.  We were polite, and they disappeared after BAC performed. 

This can be a problem with ALL THE CORPS staffs...I personally WITNESS it ALL the time...when a staff works on things and then see it materialize on the field... I'm sure it is just EXCITEMENT that they are achieving what they probably have been working all season very hard to perfect...

CROWDS back in the day were much worse...I know because I was there...perhaps you know too...this is DCI...not the opera...I'd rather hear staff excitement than teeny-boopers yelling in my ear...but I DO get your point...

As a matter of fact when I was at Allentown two years back...a DCI JUDGE who was judging the performances was yelled at for being TOO LOUD...I sat right next to him and was able to filter....BUT he was told to tone it down...he apologized and just said something to the affect that he gets just as excited as everyone else experiencing these awesome performances...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hope everyone is feeling better who had Captain Tripps.  That’s my name for the crud. 

Hope the spectators don't catch that illness up in "The Stand"s.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

That’s fine, but that shouldn’t impact GE as much as it apparently is. Clarity of sound and tone should be almost exclusively rated in the music captions.

I don't know. GE is subjective. I can't say I like Crown musically more than Bluecoats. I like both quite well. I can say I 100% like Bloo's visual program better. I'm not a judge though.

42 minutes ago, Liahona said:

No, we did not push back at them.  We were polite, and they disappeared after BAC performed. 

That was very kind of you. Finals in Denver had the row in front of us reserved like a revolving door for each staff. I knew I was in for a battle. After a while I warned them if they thought they were going to sit there and disturb the performance. I would go right down the same way they came up and complain to the director. They knew I meant business and played nice.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

That’s fine, but that shouldn’t impact GE as much as it apparently is. Clarity of sound and tone should be almost exclusively rated in the music captions.

well...no. Clarity helps drive the intent. it can help to engage the audience, deliver and sustain the effects, , embody/sustain character, role, identity and style, as well as communicate detail, nuance, and artistic qualities

especially if using a variety of effects to achieve that, with creativity, originality, and artistry, with a good thematic interpretation and they engage the audience while being coordinated with the visual.

all from the GE music sheet. Clarity of Sound and tone can help lead to all of this

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

They can and are being used effectively this year. Boston is a prime example. Helps transform the field to a island setting, sets up the show conceptually before a single note is played. Is not in pathways of the performers. Bookends the show exceptionally well.

I don't understand people wanting to take tools out of the designers hands and stifling creativity. As with any design tool they can be used well or not well. Same can be said for brass and percussion writing. Should we remove those because some corps don't do a good job with them?

no, the feeling is if it's not how you like your drum corps, it shouldnt be done

55 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This can be a problem with ALL THE CORPS staffs...I personally WITNESS it ALL the time...when a staff works on things and then see it materialize on the field... I'm sure it is just EXCITEMENT that they are achieving what they probably have been working all season very hard to perfect...

CROWDS back in the day were much worse...I know because I was there...perhaps you know too...this is DCI...not the opera...I'd rather hear staff excitement than teeny-boopers yelling in my ear...but I DO get your point...

As a matter of fact when I was at Allentown two years back...a DCI JUDGE who was judging the performances was yelled at for being TOO LOUD...I sat right next to him and was able to filter....BUT he was told to tone it down...he apologized and just said something to the affect that he gets just as excited as everyone else experiencing these awesome performances...

i'm ok with that. However when you hear a judge and wonder how the hell they still get work when you hear the commentary, thats annoying

Said it on FB and it is worth worth repeating here...SCV's horn book is a mellophone section's collective wet dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i have no problem saying anything to idiots at shows. I've ###### off spectators, fans, and even event staff that was being idiots. ( got royal hell on a review here from the show promoter about 15 years ago for calling it out on here).

if it pisses people off, i have no problem getting someone to address it. i am an ######## and a ###### good ######## if i need to be

You have pizzed off  most in the activity....lol   DUDE!:biggrin:

Edited by GUARDLING