DCI World Champs Semi Finals - Aug 10, 2018

2 minutes ago, SiFrySopUK said:

Yeah, just another generic sounding corps now. Really sad. Always loved their "sound"... Where is that bass brass and those awesome chord progressions. 

With JD Shaw. 

Arrangers change, doubt an arranger would want to mimic the style of another. Designers are prideful folk. 

Better than it should be imo. Bones brought it, Mandarins now with that weird BK vibe. Spirit close but not quite. I’d have Troop over Academy 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

With JD Shaw. 

Arrangers change, doubt an arranger would want to mimic the style of another. Designers are prideful folk. 

I get what you're saying but phantom have had that "sound" for decades... Didn't hear it tonight.

3 minutes ago, Sideways said:

I think the talent is there both visually and musically.  This show just does not have that sustained GE as you are picking up on...that is where Mandarins will pass them.  Phantom performs much stronger individually but the vehicle is just not there.

I agree I think phantom is better in most non-GE captions  than those behind them. Individual skill level is really high.  

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

This is not the first time I've seen Phantom.

But, every time is like the first time because I remember absolutely nothing about their show except those ladder props.  It's a show--for me--without any highlights.  I know I wasn't a music major and I'm not a classical music expert, but it seems like one of those shows where you gotta be a judge to appreciate it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sideways said:

I think the talent is there both visually and musically.  This show just does not have that sustained GE as you are picking up on...that is where Mandarins will pass them.  Phantom performs much stronger individually but the vehicle is just not there.

Agreed, the problem is definitely in the design, not the performers.

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

With JD Shaw. 

That sucks though. That's like exactly what happened between Force Awakens and Last Jedi. Someone got to pick up the legacy, and rather than keep it going, they tried to reinvent it. That's cool sometimes, but if people are looking for that legacy, you either need to deliver, or deliver something that's so impressive that the legacy is forgotten. This achieves neither.

• Like 1

Just now, Hrothgar15 said:

Gotta say, I’d be surprised if they kept Will Pitts as arranger for a fourth year. I think it’s safe to say that was a bad decision. 

It's a nice arrangement for BOA show...:peek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hrothgar15 said:

Gotta say, I’d be surprised if they kept Will Pitts as arranger for a fourth year. I think it’s safe to say that was a bad decision. 

I don't. The problems with this show go much deeper than brass arrangements. Also, this is not nearly the worst musical program they've had since Pitts joined. 

• Like 2