2019 Phantom Regiment

Annndddd thread closing in 3.....2........1.......

I bet this makes the next podcast reading they did the one from the Madison thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Wait a minute -- who brought up "those of us" on "Twitter" and "Facebook" who "get it" ?   Perhaps you should be a tad careful when you attempt to throw posters under the bus.  FWIW I agree that it's a "missed opportunity" to design a show about empowering women and not find at least one piece -- you know -- written by a woman.  But very often designers are wrapped up in choosing music that (a) brings the right emotional tone (b) showcases the talent level performers  (c) has built-in "effect" moments in the score (d) is not to encumbered with rights issues / doesn't cost too much to license (e) (f) (g) whatever other criteria the  show construction calls for at the point.    IOW the "who" rarely matters if a piece checks the all of  design team's boxes.    I can see why this happened .  But they're all clearly :doh:'ing  right now.

Remember how rights affect music selection in drum corps these days.  The biggest obstacle to gender equality in drum corps music may be Tresona.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It’s a show about empowering women without a single piece of music written by women. That’s pretty tone deaf on the part of Regiment’s design team.

And why stop there?  Not a single song arranged by a woman, either.  Quick - is any of the percussion writing done by women?  Drill?  Uniform design?

How many of Regiment's equipment suppliers are businesses owned by women?

• Thanks 1

Well, I don't put too much stock into what anyone plays and how it relates to the so called 'theme'. I am not going to sit there and judge the Regiment based on the composers they choose but rather, are they entertaining me. If not, I'm also not going to think, 'a female composer would have made all the difference', that's just stupid!

I was REALLY hoping for Phantasm to be awesome. (IMO) it was awful. Badly conceived, badly developed and a missed opportunity. Probably a second tier BOA show at best, and even that's a stretch.

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It’s not validation, nor do I need validation. I was merely pointing out that there are a lot of us who get it. Seemingly more than those of you who don’t get it. Perhaps those of you who don’t get it should try to learn something.

Ok, I’ll try to get your point if you promise me to not bag on a corps for not introducing you to something you’re to lazy to seek out on your own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

What you say is true as far as wages in the workforce would be concerned, but the popularity of the composer/song writer and the demand for the music plays a critical role in the cost of licensing. 

My comment was sarcastic but I get what you mean.

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

At this point, I’ll bet they wish they’d just said that the theme of their show is “Joan” and left it at that. 

Is  “ I am Joan” close enough?

• Thanks 1