The Cadets 2019

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

If that was the stipulation, and he was unwilling to provide what was asked, he deserved to go. Regardless of whether or not he thinks it works for this era, (and that's pretty debatable, I mean have you seen Crown's drill? It pretty much looks exactly like Cadets-type drill of the past.), he had a job to do, and he didn't complete it, if what I was told is true. Everyone has a boss and his boss had given him an instruction. He refused to follow it, so he had to go. I don't care how great he was at writing for Bucs. I have had people who have worked for me and did great work; they go and work for someone else and do a terrible job. Non-sequitur. You do your job, or you get fired. And if this entire story is true, what we are now left with is something that is sub-par for Cadets in my opinion. 

Welcome back, sir.

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

If that was the stipulation, and he was unwilling to provide what was asked, he deserved to go. Regardless of whether or not he thinks it works for this era, (and that's pretty debatable, I mean have you seen Crown's drill? It pretty much looks exactly like Cadets-type drill of the past.), he had a job to do, and he didn't complete it, if what I was told is true. Everyone has a boss and his boss had given him an instruction. He refused to follow it, so he had to go. I don't care how great he was at writing for Bucs. I have had people who have worked for me and did great work; they go and work for someone else and do a terrible job. Non-sequitur. You do your job, or you get fired. And if this entire story is true, what we are now left with is something that is sub-par for Cadets in my opinion. 

And Crowns not winning at the moment. In fact Boston beat them. Look at the visual packages at the top.

im not saying he’s right. I’m not saying he’s wrong. I’m saying it was a clash. Round pegs don’t fit in square holes.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And Crowns not winning at the moment. In fact Boston beat them. Look at the visual packages at the top.

im not saying he’s right. I’m not saying he’s wrong. I’m saying it was a clash. Round pegs don’t fit in square holes.

Last time I checked, it's July 11th, and Boston hasn't won the championship in August, yet. 

• Thanks 1

I think its plain to see for anyone that has watched the show that the drill is not doing enough.. The Cadets are synonymous with Velocity and this drill of the top Twelve is the "slowest" of the bunch. Sure there are other problems but they are being exposed because frankly there is not much else to look at in the show.

Knowing the level that Denise and Darcie are used too, I would absolutely see where upon watching it a couple of times would summarize that the drill was not enough and if that was expressed after the opener and the drill writer gave me that ballad and closer you would not have any confidence with them going forward.. (Just spitballing, no clue what actually happened)

It always tough when you have two factions of a design team that try to make it work come together not by choice but rather convenience. They tried to give it a go but clearly did not work visually this year. 

Going forward I have confidence in Denise and the Aungst's to get a full team in that they are comfortable with and will give us a great production next year. Meanwhile The Cadets are relentless and will make the best of what they have and take this show as far as they can.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I think its plain to see for anyone that has watched the show that the drill is not doing enough.. The Cadets are synonymous with Velocity and this drill of the top Twelve is the "slowest" of the bunch. Sure there are other problems but they are being exposed because frankly there is not much else to look at in the show.

Knowing the level that Denise and Darcie are used too, I would absolutely see where upon watching it a couple of times would summarize that the drill was not enough and if that was expressed after the opener and the drill writer gave me that ballad and closer you would not have any confidence with them going forward.. (Just spitballing, no clue what actually happened)

It always tough when you have two factions of a design team that try to make it work come together not by choice but rather convenience. They tried to give it a go but clearly did not work visually this year. 

Going forward I have confidence in Denise and the Aungst's to get a full team in that they are comfortable with and will give us a great production next year. Meanwhile The Cadets are relentless and will make the best of what they have and take this show as far as they can.

I neither know Denise nor Darcie personally or professionally. I have read the stories about them and they sound like pioneers of the activity. However, I think that if things do not change for the better next year or in the future, I don't see them going farther with Cadets. To be honest, I felt like we were gaslighted this year. There was so much positive information put out to the alumni group by the current director that it gave reason for me to hope for the best. But now it seems that the product they put out this year is not even close to being competitive.

I didn't want to come on here and sound completely negative about Cadets show this year because I was one of the primary people who were calling for optimism this year. But I can now see that was kind of naïve. I believe Cadets have a lot of work to do over the next few years if they wanna get back to the top. And I think it all starts with the staff. At this point, it looks as though only the drumline is competitive. We need a new horn, guard and visual staff to get this corps going again. 

Edited by 2000Cadet

9 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I neither know Denise nor Darcie personally or professionally. I have read the stories about them and they sound like pioneers of the activity. However, I think that if things do not change for the better next year or in the future, I don't see them going farther with Cadets. To be honest, I felt like we were gaslighted this year. There was so much positive information put out to the alumni group by the current director that it gave reason for me to hope for the best. But now it seems that the product they put out this year is not even close to being competitive.

I didn't want to come on here and sound completely negative about Cadets show this year because I was one of the primary people who were calling for optimism this year. But I can now see that was kind of naïve. I believe Cadets have a lot of work to do over the next few years if they wanna get back to the top. And I think it all starts with the staff. At this point, it looks as though only the drumline is competitive. We need a new horn, guard and visual staff to get this corps going again. 

I'm willing to give them a little pass this year. If the material they were given wasn't fitting their vision than perhaps they can bring in someone who will. I will fault them for not making this decision in the offseason, though. They knew what they were getting. It's not like his drill was mind blowing last season and just didn't deliver. It looked pretty similar to last year.

The way it currently stands, I am sad to say this is pretty close to the bottom of my favorite Cadet shows. There's plenty of time to convince me otherwise but they have a lot of work to do. The storyline itself is lacking for me and the original idea of the attack on the Queen was pretty tone deaf- I don't give them a pass on that. I will credit them for at least listening and changing.

The drumline is fantastic! Hornline still needs a lot of work.

There's still time, but time is running short. 

Edited by East9900
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

back in the day Cadets were one of 2-4 really competitive corps each season

now there are 6 - and the next 5 behind them aren't messing around either

I've always felt that if this season the Cadets can get one of the music captions into the top 3 (looks like percussion has a shot) and the other more closely competitive (brass is improved this year) it would be a positive step

I know all of us want them to instantly have the best of everything and be right there with BD - but it will likely take several seasons

I'm most disappointed by "the show" - compared to the others around it it reeks of amature design - the design descriptions leading up to the season had us all worried, let's face it

Cadets should have gone in a non literal direction (say On the Waterfront) and just put sound visual design on the field

Bringing back the drill guy shocked me. And yet they did.

I don't really wonder why - I figure either the price was right (as they dig themselves out of a financial hole) or they felt all the 2018 team had earned a shot at 2019 without we know who

In my book, if it was the later - that's a mistake. It's not about the staff. It's about the members.

I do think "the grownups are in charge" now at Cadets. 

I bet they make the smartest changes possible between now and finals - and I know the members will work hard

Then I have a feeling a revamp of visual design will be job #1 in late august. The good news is there are amazing folks available in the indoor/BOA world and Cadets can draw up a dream team given the chance. 

But before all that I'm excited to see the next few weeks - go Cadets!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

Emma will vouch for them fully, Denise https://www.dci.org/static/denise-bonfiglio DCI Hall of Fame and her history with Cadets is legendary. She has remained relevant in the activity through SCV IW program and her judging. A perennial judge come Finals week in WGI.. She knows what is good and what is not.

Darcie is Dartmouth.. She is responsible for the Theatrical elements and design in Darmouth PSW's line for as long as Tom has been there.. Immense Talent, always unique and fresh.. YOu need only look at Darthmouth to be satisfied that she has some ideas and can execute them if given the right team.

As an Alum I would put all of my faith in these two especially to right the ship, 

I frankly would not be surprised if they somehow manage to convince Jeff to come back. He is in a much better space now and he has worked with both Darcie, Tom and Denise in the past..  The Cadets have a very strong Alumni tree who have gone on to do great things in the marching arts and now that GH is gone, will hopefully start to brings these people back that have been pushed away in the past. 

• Like 4