The Cadets 2019

2 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Emma will vouch for them fully, Denise https://www.dci.org/static/denise-bonfiglio DCI Hall of Fame and her history with Cadets is legendary. She has remained relevant in the activity through SCV IW program and her judging. A perennial judge come Finals week in WGI.. She knows what is good and what is not.

Darcie is Dartmouth.. She is responsible for the Theatrical elements and design in Darmouth PSW's line for as long as Tom has been there.. Immense Talent, always unique and fresh.. YOu need only look at Darthmouth to be satisfied that she has some ideas and can execute them if given the right team.

As an Alum I would put all of my faith in these two especially to right the ship, 

I frankly would not be surprised if they somehow manage to convince Jeff to come back. He is in a much better space now and he has worked with both Darcie, Tom and Denise in the past..  The Cadets have a very strong Alumni tree who have gone on to do great things in the marching arts and now that GH is gone, will hopefully start to brings these people back that have been pushed away in the past. 

very well said!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

back in the day Cadets were one of 2-4 really competitive corps each season

now there are 6 - and the next 5 behind them aren't messing around either

I've always felt that if this season the Cadets can get one of the music captions into the top 3 (looks like percussion has a shot) and the other more closely competitive (brass is improved this year) it would be a positive step

I know all of us want them to instantly have the best of everything and be right there with BD - but it will likely take several seasons

I'm most disappointed by "the show" - compared to the others around it it reeks of amature design - the design descriptions leading up to the season had us all worried, let's face it

Cadets should have gone in a non literal direction (say On the Waterfront) and just put sound visual design on the field

Bringing back the drill guy shocked me. And yet they did.

I don't really wonder why - I figure either the price was right (as they dig themselves out of a financial hole) or they felt all the 2018 team had earned a shot at 2019 without we know who

In my book, if it was the later - that's a mistake. It's not about the staff. It's about the members.

I do think "the grownups are in charge" now at Cadets. 

I bet they make the smartest changes possible between now and finals - and I know the members will work hard

Then I have a feeling a revamp of visual design will be job #1 in late august. The good news is there are amazing folks available in the indoor/BOA world and Cadets can draw up a dream team given the chance. 

But before all that I'm excited to see the next few weeks - go Cadets!

4 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Emma will vouch for them fully, Denise https://www.dci.org/static/denise-bonfiglio DCI Hall of Fame and her history with Cadets is legendary. She has remained relevant in the activity through SCV IW program and her judging. A perennial judge come Finals week in WGI.. She knows what is good and what is not.

Darcie is Dartmouth.. She is responsible for the Theatrical elements and design in Darmouth PSW's line for as long as Tom has been there.. Immense Talent, always unique and fresh.. YOu need only look at Darthmouth to be satisfied that she has some ideas and can execute them if given the right team.

As an Alum I would put all of my faith in these two especially to right the ship, 

I frankly would not be surprised if they somehow manage to convince Jeff to come back. He is in a much better space now and he has worked with both Darcie, Tom and Denise in the past..  The Cadets have a very strong Alumni tree who have gone on to do great things in the marching arts and now that GH is gone, will hopefully start to brings these people back that have been pushed away in the past. 

Indeed, all EXCELLENT points. 

• Like 3

I REALLY hope they can bring Jeff back. There's no doubt he loves The Cadets. I feel like he was pushed out just like all the other great talents that left around the same time. Getting Tom and Neil back was certainly a really good sign. My concern with Jeff is that I think he's pretty happy at Crown and may not want to leave. 

If they can't bring Jeff back, they have to bring in someone that has experience and can write incredible drill... not just okay drill.

Edited by East9900

4 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I REALLY hope they can bring Jeff back. There's no doubt he loves The Cadets. I feel like he was pushed out just like all the other great talents that left around the same time. Getting Tom and Neil back was certainly a really good sign. My concern with Jeff is that I think he's pretty happy at Crown and may not want to leave. 

If they can't bring Jeff back, they have to bring in someone that has experience and can write incredible drill... not just okay drill.

The Exciting part for me is that Jeff has written for and worked with the Aungst's at Darmouth for as long as it has been a thing. Darcie and Jeff are comfortable with one another. They know how to design around another..

So in my mind we would see a Dartmouth Drum Corps, which if you've ever seen Dartmouth is a wildly extravagant proposition. And would be a fresh updated take on the Cadets but would still be the Cadets.. Obviously considerations would have to be taken with regards to costuming and the like for the Outdoors and summer weather but the other elements could be there.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I neither know Denise nor Darcie personally or professionally. I have read the stories about them and they sound like pioneers of the activity. However, I think that if things do not change for the better next year or in the future, I don't see them going farther with Cadets. To be honest, I felt like we were gaslighted this year. There was so much positive information put out to the alumni group by the current director that it gave reason for me to hope for the best. But now it seems that the product they put out this year is not even close to being competitive.

I didn't want to come on here and sound completely negative about Cadets show this year because I was one of the primary people who were calling for optimism this year. But I can now see that was kind of naïve. I believe Cadets have a lot of work to do over the next few years if they wanna get back to the top. And I think it all starts with the staff. At this point, it looks as though only the drumline is competitive. We need a new horn, guard and visual staff to get this corps going again. 

Hmm... I've seen the movie many times and this is not what is normally associated with "gaslighting".  Perhaps it's a current jocular usage.  Would you please clarify so I can understand if I'm not using the word the way you intend?

Were you led to think you were "crazy" for believing you had reason to be optimistic?  I think that's what the term is supposed to mean in the traditional sense, but that doesn't sound like what you mean.

Sorry, it's possible that I'm just old...

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hmm... I've seen the movie many times and this is not what is normally associated with "gaslighting".  Perhaps it's a current jocular usage.  Would you please clarify so I can understand if I'm not using the word the way you intend?

Were you led to think you were "crazy" for believing you had reason to be optimistic?  I think that's what the term is supposed to mean in the traditional sense, but that doesn't sound like what you mean.

Sorry, it's possible that I'm just old...

I also could have used it wrong. Basically I meant that we were made to feel as if things were stable and moving in the right direction, when all indications seem as if they weren't. I know I'm a millennial, but I have to look in my millennial dictionary again...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I also could have used it wrong. Basically I meant that we were made to feel as if things were stable and moving in the right direction, when all indications seem as if they weren't. I know I'm a millennial, but I have to look in my millennial dictionary again...

I'm not sure, but I think the polite term for that is "spin."

The more commonly-used term involves bovine feces.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Last time I checked, it's July 11th, and Boston hasn't won the championship in August, yet. 

thanks, i'm aware of the date, i've already written 20 times today.

You can follow trends for the last decade too. Minus 11, what crazy whiplash kaleidoscopic drill ala the old days has won?

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

I think its plain to see for anyone that has watched the show that the drill is not doing enough.. The Cadets are synonymous with Velocity and this drill of the top Twelve is the "slowest" of the bunch. Sure there are other problems but they are being exposed because frankly there is not much else to look at in the show.

Knowing the level that Denise and Darcie are used too, I would absolutely see where upon watching it a couple of times would summarize that the drill was not enough and if that was expressed after the opener and the drill writer gave me that ballad and closer you would not have any confidence with them going forward.. (Just spitballing, no clue what actually happened)

It always tough when you have two factions of a design team that try to make it work come together not by choice but rather convenience. They tried to give it a go but clearly did not work visually this year. 

Going forward I have confidence in Denise and the Aungst's to get a full team in that they are comfortable with and will give us a great production next year. Meanwhile The Cadets are relentless and will make the best of what they have and take this show as far as they can.

this was never going to be the one year miraculous return to the top so many seem to think would instantly happen. Look at Cavies...after the whole gang left with Gaines, it took 5 years to get back into the top 6, and since then they haven't truly challenged yet. the competition at the top is huge.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

the key will be $$$...and right now, Cadets have to be wise how they spend it while trying to pay down the debt they have.