2019 Predictions!

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Well then, let's try this again.  Boston signed up some great instructional talent in late 16, gave them nice contracts, told them what the organizations goals were, and left them alone. This is the start of their third year, and I imagine other than techs, etc. the key designers are still in place and working their plan.  When the new folks signed on, the auditions in late 16 brought better talent.  The results of 17 brought better talent leading into 18 and the talent for 19 has also improved and the designers are challenging the mm even more.  Should be a great year for the top 12 from last year.

Exactly. The fruits of those fall 2016 decisions (well, summer "negotiations" to be frank) are bearing fruit

Boston has more talent to work with now - so a hard book is being written. They may punch into the top 4 this year IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

In my personal opinion, they are very similar designs. Hell one of them reused a prop from the other show. Lol.

I’ve ranted enough about how the repeated gimmicks burned my ###.

The technical difficulty is in their current music book, which is great. If they achieve this year’s content, I would expect the designers to dig deeper artistically. 

17 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I wouldn't say Boston's designs in 2016 and 2017 were safe. I would say they were smart. They were designed to be successful, and they were. They were not designed to medal or win. They were designed to get the corps back into the top 5, and they accomplished that. Now, if they want to move up and challenge for the medal, their design needs to reflect that. I'll reserve my judgement for if they have achieved that when I see the field show. I do think their musical book is a step up from last year, but that doesn't mean an improvement in placement, an improvement in the visual design, and/or an improvement in the overall design.

I always look back to Star in the late 80s. The '88 and '89 shows had tremendous success up to late July and early August. In '88 they beat everyone but BD and SCV. In '89, they beat everyone but SCV, and in both seasons they beat corps like Cadets and Cavies very late into the season. In '88 they placed 7th and finals and in '89 6th. Why? Because those shows were not designed to compete with the top 5 and once other corps cleaned up, they blew by Star. I scratched my head at '89 finals. I have to say I really liked the '89 show, but it was so obvious to me that the show the corps was given was far beneath their abilities. The staff flipped the switch in 1990 and the rest is history. At DCM in 1990, I knew they were going to catch Regiment soon and never look back. At DCM in 1990, I was pretty certain they were destined to finish in the top 3 by finals, because of the design. The 1990 design was not a design to get Star into the top 5 or top 3, it was a championship caliber design. 

Why did the staff at Star not flip that switch in '89? Why did they wait until 1990 to do it? I don't know, but I think Boston's staff is trying to figure out when to flip that switch. 

We are on exactly the same wavelength here. 

• Like 2

Let's assume that Crown, Boston, Cavies, ect all have an instruction and design staff equal to SCV and BD.  Then the real issue is do they have the depth of talent equal to SCV and BD.  My guess based on the past few years is no. This is why it takes a fews years to show the MMs that the corp has what it takes to compete, and then they will be able to compete for the top recruits and win the gold.

7 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I've seen the show on the field. That's why I feel so strongly in my opinion. Risks must be taken, and they are however not.

Blue Devils will eventually fall out, and this very well could be the year, but I don't think it's going to be Boston who does it if it happens this year. It's going to be Crown, Bluecoats, and Vanguard. As for the Cavaliers, I hope they do make a come back, but they were around a point behind Boston last season, and unless they figure out their visual design issues and bring up those GE and visual scores, I don't see that happening either. I could be wrong though, hopefully they deter from last years style as it reminded me of a bottom 6 BOA show, but the corps performed the hell out of it. 

I disagree with you with regarding Boston and the Cavaliers last year. The Cavaliers were ahead of BAC most of the season and then had an ending that never quite got there. Boston had an ending that did get  there and their guard surged so that's why they caught up and jumped over the Cavaliers last year. I have to re-read the rest of your reasoning for things but I do feel that this year is totally different year, and I think that we're going to have to wait and see until everybody debuts with shows before we start making all these assumptions about things.

Edited by jjeffeory
Fixed speech to text

40 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I disagree but with you with guarding Boston and the Cavaliers the Cavaliers had an ending that never quite got there, Boston had an Indiana got there and their guards are urged so that's why they jumped over the Cavaliers last year. I have to re-read the rest of your reasoning for things but I do feel that this year is totally different year, and I think that we're going to have to wait and see until everybody debuts with shows before we start making all these assumptions about things.

I have no idea what you said in the first half of your post... 

• Like 1

This is AWESOME!  PLEASE, please, please keep telling us BAC can't continue to rise!  It is telling, however that virtually none of the naysayers seem to be from BD, SCV, Bluecoats, Cavies or Cadets.  Perhaps because those groups have no fear...?

46 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I disagree but with you with guarding Boston and the Cavaliers the Cavaliers had an ending that never quite got there, Boston had an Indiana got there and their guards are urged so that's why they jumped over the Cavaliers last year. I have to re-read the rest of your reasoning for things but I do feel that this year is totally different year, and I think that we're going to have to wait and see until everybody debuts with shows before we start making all these assumptions about things.

Worth noting that Cavaliers didn’t get outscored by BAC until the last weekend in July. And it was the first time they’d outscored them in 4-5 years. 

I wouldn’t count the Cavaliers out with regards to competing with BAC. They have five years of history where BAC never beat them. BAC has 2 weeks of history at the end of last season. 

Perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1