Pioneer Member Rant

20 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

We can all complain about their lack of resolve in looking at these issues in the past and rightfully so but in this case, using newly implemented processes for the first time I give them credit.

I would give them credit as well, For all, we know they could have been on double secret probation this year and failed. Now, a suspension is the next step. All this being done now avoided a mess latter after tour fees were collected. 

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were accusations on Reddit dating to at least the 2017 season.  Granted this was pre-GH, but the Pioneer "Troubles" hardly could have been a surprise to DCI.

Ok, what is your point? People wanted DCI to make a change and they apparently have. Change has to start at some point in time and you can't time travel back in time to right mistakes you made, you can only change moving forward. Starting with these accusations made this year through their newly implemented reporting process they acted. They can't reach back in time to unofficial accusations and take action legally. 

This action should put all corps on notice that things have changed. You can argue it took way to long to get to this point bu here we are.

Edited by Spatzzz

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

With 3 threads essentially talking about the same thing, maybe they should be combined?

As op of one of them I agree. My question was what is next... and now we know...

31 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Now you are making a competitive argument which isn't what this discussion is about. In fact corps are allowed to place themselves in the competitive class they feel the want to compete in DCI has no say other than to make sure they are financially able to take on a WC tour. In this case being in open class would not have prevented the mistreatment of the members so I don't see your argument as one that has any value to the current situation.

The comment you make here that " in fact, Corps are allowed to place themselves in the competitive class they feel they want to compete in and DCI has no say other than to make sure they are financially able to take on WC tour " is inaccurate.

DCI HQ has far more fiduciary powers under the DCI By Laws to act beyond a financial reason to both suspend,  put on probation, and even disbar a Corps enjtirely from Membership in DCI. No Corps gets to assign themselves to DCI Membership, and select the Division they want to compete in, and subject to mere financial considerations alone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, garfield said:

I couldn't figure out how to C&P this, so I'm glad you did.

This, hopefully, will correct any thoughts about what DCI can and should do to "suspended" corps.  (I those making a big deal out of the nomenclature "Probation" vs. "Suspension" are making a distinction with no, real relevance.  Both mean the same in DCI-land.)

As far as I know, "probation" and "suspension" have different meanings.  Even in DCI-land.

Probation = in.

Suspension = out.

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

As far as I know, "probation" and "suspension" have different meanings.  Even in DCI-land.

Probation = in.

Suspension = out.

You're probably right.  But in DCI-land, "You're on probation until you clean up your act and you can do DCI events next season if you have your crap together by November camps" is practically the same thing as "You're suspended until you clean up your act and you can do DCI events next season if you have your crap together by November camps".

To be on probation at this point of the year has little difference from begin suspended at this point of the year.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Or go to DCA

DCA also requires a visit/inspection of the corps fiscal stability and total infrastructure before they allow them on board. Given their violations of DCI policy, I'd bet it would be rather difficult for them to pass muster, and many rather hard questions would be asked and answers demanded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have a guess there was one smoking gun that they needed to verify to enact 321, and they made certain that it happened. It could also be the steady drip effect of a bunch of things snowballing, but in another thread, it was mentioned that when members used the new procedures and formally filed complaints, they were told to stop doing this, some individuals even said on one Reddit post that they were threatened with being cut. That alone was a clear and pretty serious CC&E violation if true. If someone files...let the investigation/inquiry run it's due course, if it's untrue, truth will win out. Burying it can be worse than letting the truth come to light and taking the lumps.

16 minutes ago, garfield said:

You're probably right.  But in DCI-land, "You're on probation until you clean up your act and you can do DCI events next season if you have your crap together by November camps" is practically the same thing as "You're suspended until you clean up your act and you can do DCI events next season if you have your crap together by November camps".

To be on probation at this point of the year has little difference from begin suspended at this point of the year.

Without knowing specifics, all we can do is speculate, but I would be surprised if Pioneer could have its act together prior to November. It could rewrite policies, have a plan of action, but could it guarantee having the right people in place and the finances to make it happen? 

The most recent corps to be on probation is Cadets, but we’re talking about a different situation. Cadets had qualified people ready to take over, a corps all but ready to take the field, and a season in place at the time their issues aired. Probation was the right call. Probation was also handed down after a lot of behind the scenes things had taken place and the former director was gone. If these things had not taken place, it may have been a suspension. I may be wrong, but I don’t think Pioneer has the same non financial talent and resources as one of the greatest drum corps in history to make it happen.