Ankeny, IA - Wednesday, July 10, 2019

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

From the here I sit ... not only is this a Beatles retrospective, but a Bluecoats retrospective from about 2014 on. Lots of hollabacks in this show.

It is a show called "The Bluecoats"...

• Haha 1

Just now, oldbandguy said:

Pretty good ear!  You are missing "A Hard Days Night" and "Yesterday" in Mvt 1 and "Here Comes the Sun" in Mvt 3.  And maybe more to come 🙂

Interesting. As I noted, there was a picture of a program listing Bluecoats' repertoire that was posted to the 2019 reps thread on this forum. it doesn't mention "A Hard Day's Night" or "Yesterday" as one of their songs. And in the cinema screening, the designer who was interviewed said they play 19 songs this year -- but that picture only includes 17 songs. Based on my listening, "Revolution #9" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" are quoted in the opening medley, but they're not in that book list. Have they / are they adding more? Or do "A Hard Day's Night" and "Yesterday" replace the songs that are listed that I couldn't hear: "Love Me Do", "Hey, Jude", "What Happens Now" (sic for "What Goes On"?), and "A Little Help from my Friends"?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. As I noted, there was a picture of a program listing Bluecoats' repertoire that was posted to the 2019 reps thread on this forum. it doesn't mention "A Hard Day's Night" or "Yesterday" as one of their songs. And in the cinema screening, the designer who was interviewed said they play 19 songs this year -- but that picture only includes 17 songs. Based on my listening, "Revolution #9" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" are quoted in the opening medley, but they're not in that book list. Have they / are they adding more? Or do "A Hard Day's Night" and "Yesterday" replace the songs that are listed that I couldn't hear: "Love Me Do", "Hey, Jude", "What Happens Now" (sic for "What Goes On"?), and "A Little Help from my Friends"?

The "Hard Days Night" reference is ONLY 1 chord...but an iconic chord 🙂  There is a bit more of a reference for "Yesterday" played by the mellos.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Probably all the melody and complete musical ideas! 😈

Normally I like those type of shows! But this show just ain't it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Normally I like those type of shows! But this show just ain't it

Doesnt BD usually get hammered by fans when they have 87 songs listed in the program as source material? I guess most folks just don’t know enough jazz tunes! Lol 

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

From the here I sit ... not only is this a Beatles retrospective, but a Bluecoats retrospective from about 2014 on. Lots of hollabacks in this show.

Even earlier than 2014 I think. The 3/4 part of Eleanor Rigby (right after the Kinetic Noise bit) always reminds me of a similar groove and phrase in 2012's Ritual just with "look at all the lonely people" melody over top: (clip starts at 5:32)

Edited by 3PoC
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Sure fire way to get any BD homer, lol. 

I kid... 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

I honestly think Crown is fantastic and top 3 level for sure, but they are zigging when everyone else is zagging (or staging). Just not sure they will ever get the credit for doing that much drill in 2019. Feels odd saying that, but I just think it’s true of where the activity is now. It’s always been about “playing the game” competitively, and not sure they are playing it like everyone else lately. 

It does seem to the case that the corps that are still doing drill are not being rewarded for the effort.  I'm sure I'll get the lecture about how the stationary body movements that we now see so much of are just as demanding as performing drills while playing.  If a corps isn't being rewarded for a demanding drill why bother doing it at all. I guess doing drill interfered with the corps members important job of pushing, dragging or shoving props around.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1