Staff merry-go-round

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you don't like it, you don't have to follow it then go online and complain.

The regional model has passed. you can't plan financially for a season where you don't know what your end game is

I’m sorry Mr. Ream, you’re wrong on this point. I may not care for the direction of today’s show design but I love drum corps. So much so, that I’m offering my ideas on how to get more people involved in the activity.

Please don’t speak for me and I’ll afford you the same courtesy.

Best regards,

Suta

Edited by Sutasaurus

5 minutes ago, Continental said:

I would have thought you would come up with a better response than that. 

well to be honest, i didn't feel like being banned today

• Haha 2

Just now, Continental said:

Have you ever been banned with the multitude of posts you have on here?  Most really don't say anything offensive. 

suspended once, had a post or 20 removed. but fighting a cold, and irriitable today, so i choose carefully before i type

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

suspended once, had a post or 20 removed. but fighting a cold, and irriitable today, so i choose carefully before i type

Someone like you with the experience you have on this board is the last person I would expect that response from. 

So it must be the cold taking over your body and making you a completely different person than you usually are. 

• Like 1

Who would of thought that the bloodsport of public hiring and firings wouldn't be enough to satiate the beast that is summoned by this annual ritual? 

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Perhaps the word circus was a bit harsh. Let’s go for spectacle instead. I mean no disrespect to the basic tenets of drum corps. Hard work, discipline, working in a group environment are all key take always for students and instructors alike.

I’ll try this again.... if travel, insurances, food, vehicles, fuel, horns, drums, costumes/uniforms aren’t expensive enough,corps are piling on more debt by adding amplification, props, theme changes every year just to stay relevant.

I’m a proponent of bagging the puffery and     placing music and marching performance back in the members’ control. More of a grassroots approach to drum corps. There still is plenty of creative opportunity with drill color and music to entertain the masses.

I’m speaking for myself as a fan, but I get the feeling I’m not alone here. If a regional model can put more groups(SoundSport) on the field. I’m all for it!

Do you really believe regionally will attract the support, the members and will change cost that much? Take a bus out for even a few days is many thousands of dollars, feeding people does not change unless you are sending them home like 40 years ago, costuming/uniforms wont change . Staff cost, no change. As for show types, these kids love what they are doing and want nothing less, as we did BITD.

AS I said these members today have way more choices than we did as young people and they are just not looking for something to do.

Is cost crazy to march in Drum Corps , YES it is BUT what activity can you go away for 3 months, food and transportation for 3 months, instruction, costuming, equipment etc etc for the cost. Being a dancing little bumble Bee in a little kids dance recital is also over the top these days and the cost of 1 dance number for 1 performance can be more than uniforms for a season for a MM. Welcome to 2019

I do believe ( as you said )you may see in addition to what we have now an evolution ( which has started ) ( Sound sport Type ) whether it's on a field or not I'll reserve my opinions on that at the moment. I do believe though it may not be what you might be thinking.

Don't get me wrong, there is a part of me who misses times that were much  more simple BUT a fantasy on many of the 2019 realities  of life makes me respect and even miss sometimes the past but to move forward and be prepared interests me more . For me this is just not for drum corps but most things. Of course that's what works for me and doesn't mean it has to be for others. Thanks for your views , opinions and conversation.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2