Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Other dumb one is “I can’t wear because I have asthma”. Followed by “(bleeper) I have asthma and wear one”.

My wife is a visiting nurse,with Asthma.

Even with  A/C, after about 15 -20 minutes in a patient's home,with the N95 ,she starts having trouble breathing.

If the patient's home doesn't have A/C it can be less then 10 minutes.

She's  a little better in stores with A/C.

The other thing that happens is that, during the day,the more she has to wear a mask her  tolerance decreases.

She also has about the same tolerance for N95 and cloth masks.

So,while some people with Asthma may not have a problem with a mask,some people do.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

My wife is a visiting nurse,with Asthma.

Even with  A/C, after about 15 -20 minutes in a patient's home,with the N95 ,she starts having trouble breathing.

If the patient's home doesn't have A/C it can be less then 10 minutes.

She's  a little better in stores with A/C.

The other thing that happens is that, during the day,the more she has to wear a mask her  tolerance decreases.

She also has about the same tolerance for N95 and cloth masks.

So,while some people with Asthma may not have a problem with a mask,some people do.

Thanks what I learned for today.... 

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're gaslighting us, right?

Well, I'm sorry to say that was mistaken. Lots of diseases have asymptomatic cases. And numerous diseases can be spread by asymptomatic carriers.

Before you were saying that "Flu cases are more thoroughly reported because there are no asymptomatic flu cases.  When you get the flu, you know you are sick.".

That was unfortunately incorrect too, as the briefest of checks would have shown you. Again, see here: 33% of flu cases are asymptomatic. Not presymptomatic. One-third of the people who get the flu never get sick; they never know they have the flu unless by chance they happen to be tested for it. Yay immunity!

Now you're pushing a different claim: that the flu doesn't spread when asymptomatic.

That happens to be . . . . . . basically correct. (See the very same link.) Finally. Something true!

So yes, one reason the Covid-19 is more dangerous than the flu is that it's transmitted by asymptomatic individuals. That feature is not unique to Covid-19, but it is an important feature. (The most important feature is presumably that it's a new disease. It hasn't even celebrated its first birthday yet.)

And all of this goes back to your argument that Covid-19 cases are greatly over-reported relative to the flu, because, you falsely claimed, everyone infected by the flu knows it, because... does it even matter?

Who is gaslighting whom here?

You have it exactly backwards.  C-19 cases are under-reported.

No, that is not what I said.  I specifically pointed out that flu can be spread by an asymptomatic (pre-symptomatic) person, though only in a narrow time window.

No, that is not what I said either.  The uniqueness of C-19 is that the time window for asymptomatic spread is an order of magnitude larger.

You even misquote your own sources.  The article says one in three infections (not cases, and please stop conflating the two) are asymptomatic.  Meanwhile, other sources range all over the place (saw one claiming 77%).  We really have no clear idea what percentage of flu infections are asymptomatic, given how many infections are fought off uneventfully in people who are vaccinated, or who earned their immunity the hard way from a previous infection.  But since those infections are neither symptomatic nor contagious, they are irrelevant - they are not "cases".  A "case" is an infection that causes either disease or contagion.  Right now, nearly every C-19 infection is a "case" because there is so little immunity in our population.

You also misreport other things here (the linked article does not deny asymptomatic spread, they just could not provide discrete evidence for it).  But I am running out of colors.

Yes, it matters.  Misplacing the decimal point when computing the case fatality risk could cause decision makers to overreact, and choose mitigation options where the collateral damage would be greater than the true risk of the virus.  You have pointed out several times how the true fatality risk is lower than what a simple data-starved calculation will suggest.  Are you now disputing your own premise?

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And this happened after you took them out before you went to bed?  No treat!

Small dog... small bladder... ugh....

At least she wakes me up and no morning surprises 😖

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The best thing I can do right now is turn off my phone and walk away.

This is the perfect saying to put on t-shirts during this pandemic.

I'd suggest what picture to put above it, but the Mean Girls club would fill the forum with responses. 

• Haha 1

More on topic.... PSAC (PA State Athletic Conference) just announced all Fall sports cancelled. This affects all 14 PA state colleges, most musical ones would be West Chester (East) and Indiana (west).

edit: these would be Division II schools

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If you extend the front face shield to provide room for a horn, then have speakers outside to project the sound of the horn, then have uniform designers incorporate a shako or other helmut on top, this just might make DCI 2021 viable. 

I doubt something like this will make anyone notice the WGI type jammies. 

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/biovyzr-hazmat-suits-aim-to-make-flying-safer-during-coronavirus

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I disagree it’s a right and if someone is not going to do it they should pull their head out of their ### and social distance.

What about rights of others to be safe and not catch any crap people might have? Guess we should ban speed limits, seat belts, not shooting guns in crowded areas, stopping at red lights and other things that keep people safer. If there is a “right” that puts people at risk with masks then why not these areas. People want to reopen the country but not if it bothers them. We have turned into a country of selfish people who only think of themselves. 

Seriously.... what has happened to this country? WWII we had meatless days, rationing, buying bonds, car pooling or not driving at all, etc all for the good of the country fighting a war. Now can’t even wear a piece of cloth over their face or social distance without people screaming “MAH RIGHTS!” and not a thought of others.

Ignorance can be bliss and sometimes ignorance is just ignorance

• Like 2