Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

27 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

When my wife and I were out at dinner last night,the man at the Socially Distanced Table behind us, was red from head to to

toe.

My wife is a Nurse.

The first thing she thought of was "Red Man Syndrome".

But she's never seen a case where it affected the lower torso.

So she asked the man.

He said it was an autoimmune disease.

Don't ask me the name.

He said its very uncomfortable,especially the dry skin.

He has to use something similar to A&D ointment several times a day.

He also has to follow a strict diet,and limit any exposure to the sun.

He said his doctor told him it normally takes about a year to clear up.

Yow, can’t imagine for that long. No idea if my wife got red below her chest and arms. Thank God this was the first dose and it was given in the hospital labs. Nurse was right there monitoring and had the anti-allergy dose with her “just in case”. Turned off IV and gave the anti-allergy med. Then called other nurses over as it was one of the quickest reactions they had ever seen (maybe 5 minutes from start of IV). 

The anti-infection med was added to her allergy list. Once in a while someone at a doctors office would ask “are you sure you’re allergic to this, it’s widely given”. Just say “red man syndrome” and response would be “okaaay, just checking.... wow”.

Also had an anti-seizure med that would sedate her above a certain dose. Still remember a doctor  getting po’ed and saying “this is what I perscribe.... 90% of people can handle it”. Me: “so what the #### do you do with the other 10%?”. Sadly I think the answer was going to be they get it anyway. Think of that go around when I think of “just give it to everyone “.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I read from a recent poll that 1 out of 3 people in the US will not take a covid vaccine. 

I heard 1 out of 3 people will not go to a WGI show either.  :hehe:

In all due seriousness, this is not surprising.  Far fewer people get inoculated for flu, where vaccines are not a scary new thing. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

In all due seriousness, this is not surprising.  Far fewer people get inoculated for flu, where vaccines are not a scary new thing. 

Trying to remember last time I had a flu shot. Few years back got a new doctor (about half my age... if that 😖). She (yeah she 😳) works family practice for a teaching hospital so is up to date on info. Few times got told the vaccine flu strain was not the same strain as what was going around so don’t bother getting a shot. Other times the percentage of getting flu even with the shot was nasty so my call.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think it remains to be seen. In February most of us didn’t expect Covid to be all that serious, then we hit panic mode and stores ran out of paper towels and toilet paper because the world was ending! When a vaccine is available, everything could change. 

Most years the flu vaccine is “better safe than sorry” with a wide range of effectiveness. I used to opt out because quite frankly, I seem to be immune to everything but now I do get the flu shot because I may not catch most things,  but according to my doctor I am beginning to get some of the “over 50” health issues. 

When a Covid vaccine is available, I think we will see more than 1/3rd of the people get it. It may become one of the required vaccines for school, and doctors most likely will recommend it. It could also become like the toilet paper mad rush. Once we run out, everyone will want it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i appreciate your trolling.

Toooooo early for that its just about the Bands right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

First off,I've seen polls that show as many as 60% of the people polled won't take a vaccine when it first comes out.

I'm not an antivaxxer,but there is no way I'm taking a a Covid vaccine for at least a year or two.

Especially one they are rushing to get into the market.

The clinical tests they're doing are intended to see if the vaccine is effective against Covid.

50% effective is considered acceptable.

Citation needed.

There are over 165 different vaccines for COVID currently being researched around the world. It is simply inaccurate to refer to "a COVID vaccine" in a generalization. Many side effects can be predicted. Others will be discovered in Phase 3 trials (human volunteer testing). The recent Russian vaccine did not perform a Phase 3 trial and is therefore very suspect. Any vaccine that is approved for use in Europe or North America will have completed and passed a Phase 3 trial. I will take any COVID vaccine with proven efficacy and a completed Phase 3 trial as soon as it is available.

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The concern I  have is side effects.

They take a while to show up.

I'm old enough to remember  the worst example of side effects showing up after

the fact.

The Thalidomide tragedies.

Side effects for the patient are usually indicated shortly after administration. All medications have a half-life in the body because as soon as they are administered the body starts processing them to break them down. This is why people with chronic medical conditions need to take the same drug every day, or multiple times a day. Any short-term side effects for the patient would be immediate, and long-term side effects are largely foreseeable.

You mention thalidomide. Thalidomide is a drug still in use today, vital in the treatment of many cancers and leprosy. The tragic thalidomide side effects were not directly to the patient being administered the drug, but only to pregnant women's fetuses. The drug makers did not perform any studies on pregnant women and did not consider the very real possibility of the drug crossing the placental barrier. But the side effects were ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE. The United States of America did not suffer the thalidomide tragedy because of a brilliant doctor by the name of Frances Oldham Kelsey. While working for the FDA, Dr. Kelsey had specific concerns regarding the drug's safety (especially in pregnant women) and refused to approve it for use in the United States. Her concerns were 100% accurate and fully vindicated when the horror stories started emerging from Europe and Canada. The whole mess could have been avoided had proper research been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Oldham_Kelsey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I think it remains to be seen. In February most of us didn’t expect Covid to be all that serious, then we hit panic mode and stores ran out of paper towels and toilet paper because the world was ending! When a vaccine is available, everything could change. 

Most years the flu vaccine is “better safe than sorry” with a wide range of effectiveness. I used to opt out because quite frankly, I seem to be immune to everything but now I do get the flu shot because I may not catch most things,  but according to my doctor I am beginning to get some of the “over 50” health issues. 

When a Covid vaccine is available, I think we will see more than 1/3rd of the people get it. It may become one of the required vaccines for school, and doctors most likely will recommend it. It could also become like the toilet paper mad rush. Once we run out, everyone will want it!

In Feb. it depended who one chose to listen to. I do think as you said , schools may require it if one wants their child to have the in person experience.

6 hours ago, fsthnds said:

WGI held a zoom call with the local circuit partners and regional show hosts last weekend. The message from that conference call was to look for a decision on WGI 2021 by sometime in November. Many local circuits are planning a season to start in late Jan. or Feb. There was talk about making regionals a 1 day single performance and also about virtual performances. Most scholastic groups do not start practice until fall sports has ended in late Nov. so the Nov date seems logical for a decision. Independent Groups do tend to start their auditions in Sept. or Oct. They may want to delay that process until a decision by WGI is made.

wow imagine saying they'd wait because of fall issues and concerns. i got mocked for that

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

59 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Citation needed.

There are over 165 different vaccines for COVID currently being researched around the world. It is simply inaccurate to refer to "a COVID vaccine" in a generalization. Many side effects can be predicted. Others will be discovered in Phase 3 trials (human volunteer testing). The recent Russian vaccine did not perform a Phase 3 trial and is therefore very suspect. Any vaccine that is approved for use in Europe or North America will have completed and passed a Phase 3 trial. I will take any COVID vaccine with proven efficacy and a completed Phase 3 trial as soon as it is available.

Side effects for the patient are usually indicated shortly after administration. All medications have a half-life in the body because as soon as they are administered the body starts processing them to break them down. This is why people with chronic medical conditions need to take the same drug every day, or multiple times a day. Any short-term side effects for the patient would be immediate, and long-term side effects are largely foreseeable.

You mention thalidomide. Thalidomide is a drug still in use today, vital in the treatment of many cancers and leprosy. The tragic thalidomide side effects were not directly to the patient being administered the drug, but only to pregnant women's fetuses. The drug makers did not perform any studies on pregnant women and did not consider the very real possibility of the drug crossing the placental barrier. But the side effects were ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE. The United States of America did not suffer the thalidomide tragedy because of a brilliant doctor by the name of Frances Oldham Kelsey. While working for the FDA, Dr. Kelsey had specific concerns regarding the drug's safety (especially in pregnant women) and refused to approve it for use in the United States. Her concerns were 100% accurate and fully vindicated when the horror stories started emerging from Europe and Canada. The whole mess could have been avoided had proper research been done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Oldham_Kelsey

16 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

In Feb. it depended who one chose to listen to. I do think as you said , schools may require it if one wants their child to have the in person experience.

Regarding vaccination, this by Penn & Teller is accurate (I show it to my Biology classes when we get to the subject of vaccination).  It has strong language

from the get-go, but makes a good point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Trying to remember last time I had a flu shot. Few years back got a new doctor (about half my age... if that 😖). She (yeah she 😳) works family practice for a teaching hospital so is up to date on info. Few times got told the vaccine flu strain was not the same strain as what was going around so don’t bother getting a shot. Other times the percentage of getting flu even with the shot was nasty so my call.

i get the flu shot every year...and end up getting the flu anyways. but it keeps my employer and wife happy