4 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

What I like most about this sound is that it is performer performed and uniquely by a brasser and augmented by percussionists . It is not done by an artificial sound engineering creation , not pre programmed by adults .. As such the sound is subject to misplay on the performer brass and percussion instruments … or conversely , brilliantly coordinated and executed by the marchers themselves in performance . Hopefully , such unique sounds created by the performers themselves , will be noticed by judges , and if properly executed in performances, rewarded in the sheets for such .Otherwise, it might behoove show designers to scrap such performer initiated sounds and utilize pre programmed sound engineering for the sound instead  , which is not subject to daily field performer unrewarded risk taking and variance quality . 

Well that was a lot…  It’s still underwhelming. I see in my crystal ball some revisions on the horizon. 

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

They do use a concertina. And I never said that a euph was a new instrument, only that Boston was trying some new instrumentation. I think a percussion feature which includes a low brass solo would qualify as something new.  It was obviously novel enough for you to ask about it.  

I’m glad we agree a euphonium is not a new instrument. Never asked about it either, just stated it was a pacing issue and may need a revision. For the record, I don’t think its novel at all. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Danby510 said:

Well that was a lot…  It’s still underwhelming. I see in my crystal ball some revisions on the horizon. 

Perhaps they will scrap the performers playing it , and just utilize sound engineering advanced technology to achieve point reward . Personally , I think it’s pretty unique what they do there with the gutteral sound , and hope they make little changes in it moving forward . Whatever they do there , I personally don’t want any substitute for the snake / devil sound to become pre programmed sound engineered , instead of performer based playing there . Besides , what the brass performer soloist plays there is a very demanding piece of rather unique playing to achieve what he achieves there in tandem with the percussion playing.  Thus, he is demonstrating his uncanny brass instrument  playing talent versatility , imo   As such , for these reasons I personally like it as currently constructed and performer performed . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

It just caught me that the snare drums are down a player. They started move ins with 9 and started the season with 8. Looks like they closed the hole in the drill too.

They have had 8 since the last week of move in.

59 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Perhaps they will scrap the performers playing it , and just utilize sound engineering advanced technology to achieve point reward . Personally , I think it’s pretty unique what they do there with the gutteral sound , and hope they make little changes in it moving forward . Whatever they do there , I personally don’t want any substitute for the snake / devil sound to become pre programmed sound engineered , instead of performer based playing there . Besides , what the brass performer soloist plays there is a very demanding piece of rather unique playing to achieve what he achieves there in tandem with the percussion playing.  Thus, he is demonstrating his uncanny brass instrument  playing talent versatility , imo   As such , for these reasons I personally like it as currently constructed and performer performed . 

I have no issue with the performer or quality of musicianship.  I think it just last to long and doesn’t work from a pacing standpoint. It’s a clear design flaw. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, craiga said:

The percussion feature is called "Snake", and includes a euphonium solo.  Back during the show reveal, it was announced that Boston would be trying some new things in terns of instrumentation at times.

Also, as this production begins,  the battery forms a large black snake which winds its way through the field of white-uniformed brass players to set up the percussion feature. The camera crews didn't happen to catch that in Detroit, but I'm sure they will.  (It was their first show, too)

Experimentation is cool but the pacing of that is just way way long. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie1223 said:

Experimentation is cool but the pacing of that is just way way long. 

I’m not quite understanding what you mean specifically by “pacing”. Please explain.  Someone claimed it to be a design flaw.  I’ve noticed some posters declaring design problems, but I’m getting the impression they have no idea what design is.

4 hours ago, Danby510 said:

I’m glad we agree a euphonium is not a new instrument. Never asked about it either, just stated it was a pacing issue and may need a revision. For the record, I don’t think its novel at all. 

Cavies 2014 had a euph solo leading into a percussion feature if I recall. I forget if it also happened concurrently with it