BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

53 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I do think the overall structure and approach has remained very similar. The shows definitely have had a consistent feel and flow to them that’s remained the same since 2014.  

And I personally don’t view that at all as a bad thing.  They have something that works really well and why mess with that?  They have a very distinct dna right now.  

I think that's true and the last thing I would profess to be is an expert on today's drum corps. You ask 30 different people what the heck good "design" even is and you get 30 different answers. Don't ask me that by the way, 'cause I sure don't know. Whatever scores you the highest, I guess. BD, like most corps these days just take me a few shows to "get" the show. Many times I never get it which is why I'm trying to learn not to read too much into the show title or theme. Just entertain me and make me appreciate your magnificent skills and talent. That's why I enjoyed 2021 so much over previous recent years. Corps like PR, Madison, Cavaliers, Cadets and Bloo all just laid their talents out there playing music that I truly enjoyed. 

Saw the video of the family day show, and I’m having trouble connecting with the show, but willing to give it some time. It feels like the same thing we’ve seen from the Devs for the past 10ish years,  it this years initial viewing seemed more like they’re trying a bit too hard with the design. IMHO it’s not as accessible on the first viewing. Let’s see what they do with it, excited to see where it goes. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I thought 2019 was pretty fresh for them. A tremendous show top to bottom with some of the best use of props we have seen in a while. Bluecoats 2014 and 2016 was amazing too in terms of props. But BD felt very fresh to me last year. I do appreciate that they are not always trying to reinvent the wheel, but I also think this show will evolve a lot more than people think. 

Loved the 2019 show. Some great audience moments and the overall theme worked very well. This show feels very opposite. 

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by William Butler Yeats

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

My thought is that the MM at the beginning holding "something" are holding the blue and the dim and the dark cloths. Then at some point we will see them spread out over the field. We shall see. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Cavaliers did in in the 2000’s and no one said diddly.  I don’t mean that as a criticism. They had a formula, and it worked.   I liked them. 2002 is a favorite of mine. 

I will say that I recall several people on here critiquing the Cavalier's bent knee marching style as being incredible dirty, and comparing it to Blue Devils and Cadets specifically in selling their idea that bent knee sucks...

...I also recall that many posters said they didn't play loud enough to be scoring so high in brass... 

I also remember the screams of all the visual "tricks" the Cavaliers used to score higher such as rolling on the ground during their '05 show, and of course their standing still while playing difficult music.  I remember this all very clearly.

I remember this as they progressed through the later part of the '00s

Edited by jjeffeory

15 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I will say that I recall several people on here critiquing the Cavalier's bent knee marching style as being incredible dirty, and comparing it to Blue Devils and Cadets specifically in selling their idea that bent knee sucks...

...I also recall that many posters said they didn't play loud enough to be scoring so high in brass... 

I also remember the screams of all the visual "tricks" the Cavaliers used to score higher such as rolling on the ground during their '05 show, and of course their standing still while playing difficult music.  I remember this all very clearly.

I remember this as they progressed through the later part of the '00s

I apologize then.  I really don’t remember.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I apologize then.  I really don’t remember.  

You never need to apologize, wonder person. I'm just flashing back and reminiscing about DCP past... I do believe we echo some of the sentiments of the greater crowd growing fans, so that's probably a valid concern about the Cavaliers in the past, I dunno.

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

You never need to apologize, wonder person. I'm just flashing back and reminiscing about DCP past... I do believe we echo some of the sentiments of the greater crowd growing fans, so that's probably a valid concern about the Cavaliers in the past, I dunno.

I edited because I don’t want to post stuff I’m wrong about.  I really can’t go to the store for three things without a list my memory is so bad. 😂 

• Haha 1

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfNhjBOAD09/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I hadn't seen their line before, man these guys are young. Looks like a selection of the top juniors and seniors from the local World class HS in SoCal. 

If this core sticks together they are going to be monsters in 2-3 years.