2022 Season Predictions

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the judges didn’t know which Corps was performing.  Impossible I know. 

You're on to something. DCI is proud to present The Masked Drum Corps! 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

You're on to something. DCI is proud to present The Masked Drum Corps! 

Imagine the frustration when at finals the winner is unmasked & everyone realizes Blue Devils won AGAIN 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I agree lol

I'm not surprised you would agree. Haha. The Cavies design was absolutely brilliant and that show was breathtaking. It as miraculous. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Definitely 2010; however, it was SCV that placed above them and I don't think the judging community would have dared to put a corps that was only five years back in Div I above them. So, yeah, the Blue Stars did deserve and earn 7th in 2010; unfortunately, it didn't happen. 

Well, I would disagree here. I think Vanguard had a much more complex, interesting and demanding show compared to Blue Stars in 2010. Blue Stars are one of my favorite corps, but I agree with what the judges did in 2010. Vanguard's design was superior in every way. 

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Brucker has stated that Scouts are the only exception.

'88 Madison wasn't the only exception. It entirely disproved this "competitive inertia" theory. 

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I wish this silly competitive inertia thing would go away. It has nothing to do with competitive inertia or having to place top 3 before you win. There are so many other factors at play here. There is so much that goes into winning. Everything has to go just right. It takes a long time to get there. It's a lot of trial and error. The reason new champions, throughout history, have had to place in the top 3 before they win is because its part of the natural progression. They get most things right the years they placed 3rd or 2nd, and sometimes they get it all right the next season (and win), sometimes they get it all right the next season (and still don't win because someone else is better), and sometimes it takes a few more seasons to get it all right and win.

If a corps came out (say Blue Stars) with a championship caliber design and the talent to back it up they would have a shot at winning regardless of past placement. Although this hasn't happened to a new champion, it has happened with other corps. To name a couple 1) Madison '88 - They went from 6th to 1st. In the 80s their two highest placements were 3rd in '81 and 1st in '88 (7th '86 and 6th in '87). They had no "competitive inertia" coming into '88. They won because their design was nearly perfect and the corps was responding to the judges and fans who were raving about the show, and when that happens you get better than better. Regiment went from 10th in '86 to 3rd (semis) in '87. They had no competitive inertia coming into '87. It was the same thing as Madison in '88 although it didn't take them quite as far. 

Boston will win this year if they have the best design and best corps. I actually hope they do - it would prove once and for all how silly this whole competitive inertia thing is.

You can call it silly all you want but it’s real and has become increasingly so with the modern scoring. As I remarked before, the scoring was very different in 88 compared to now. It was very performance driven back then while today, design takes greater precedence. 

I agree with you that the theory of competitive inertia is explained by the fact that it takes a natural progression to reach the point where the design team is able to design a show that is 1st place worthy and it takes a natural progression to accumulate championship level member talent. But that explanation doesn’t make the theory any less real. Boston has absolutely compiled a talented staff but they have yet to demonstrate a championship level design and it remains to be seen whether they are capable of pulling in championship level talent at the same time. The Covid years have definitely made it all a wild card, but as I said before, im gonna need to see it to believe that Boston is going to break the theory 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

'88 Madison wasn't the only exception. It entirely disproved this "competitive inertia" theory. 

We are arguing in circles, I have already explained my reasoning for this twice now 🙂 I still do not think it will be possible for Boston to win it all this year as per the theory. Let’s agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

Just listened to a recording of Phantom Regiment at their Rockford Park concert. Oh My!!! Not the best recording (from the side) but that brass line is the REAL DEAL! We'll have to see how the whole thing comes together on the field but that music book is super well written, very demanding, beautiful, and majestic at the end. They sound primed and ready to go. I hope that carries over to the field as they build their endurance because that is a potential top 5 or higher brass line folks. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6