And the floodgates are opening

48 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This, or at least the issue in general, begs some questions.  

When is something a guise or not a guise?  What makes an organization responsible for the actions of another?  The contracts between them that define their relationship?  The fact that one is associated with many?  Some level of endorsement or recognition?  Their name?  

There are organizations that have the legally contracted authority to control others, and there are organizations that are little more than fan clubs that provide sone service to interested members.  Where is the line drawn?  What are the determining factors?

I like the thought of watching the actions of other groups and perhaps it could work.  Much like pro golfers keeping score of their fellow golfer during a tourney.  The problem then becomes in the DC world, is a fox watching a henhouse or rather; would you want SoA watching your team?

50 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This, or at least the issue in general, begs some questions.  

When is something a guise or not a guise?  What makes an organization responsible for the actions of another?  The contracts between them that define their relationship?  The fact that one is associated with many?  Some level of endorsement or recognition?  Their name?  

There are organizations that have the legally contracted authority to control others, and there are organizations that are little more than fan clubs that provide sone service to interested members.  Where is the line drawn?  What are the determining factors?

All true - this will need to be settled by the courts.  I hope the organizations involved have a contingency fund set aside for attorney fees.  Because if (when) this gets hashed out by the courts, the only real certainty is that the lawyers will be paid.

Hopefully DCI is monitoring the situation with the SBC & once the courts have settled the issue will make any organizational changes necessary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I like the thought of watching the actions of other groups and perhaps it could work.  Much like pro golfers keeping score of their fellow golfer during a tourney.  The problem then becomes in the DC world, is a fox watching a henhouse or rather; would you want SoA watching your team?

There is precedent in DCI for this.  Ask 75 'chachos & '78 Bridgemen.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is precedent in DCI for this.  Ask 75 'chachos & '78 Bridgemen.

I know, but I wasn’t implying that particular type of reporting.  More in the vein of the thread’s referenced incidents.  Over age issues are pretty far down the bullying and abuse totem pole of bad behavior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I know, but I wasn’t implying that particular type of reporting.  More in the vein of the thread’s referenced incidents.  Over age issues are pretty far down the bullying and abuse totem pole of bad behavior.

Agree overage members  is far down the list (yet is the one thing DCI actually enforces (except 89 SCV)).

But look at the animosity that happened due to overage members.  People still argue where the 75 'chachos would have placed.  And I have heard stories of Bridgemen in fisticuffs with members of Phantom, & trying to overturn one of their busses (which took more than just a few members).

If a Corps was on the cusp of making finals (or some other DCI level that leads to different performance fees for the next season) would some be motivated to make spurious accusations against a higher-placing Corps?  I would hope the answer is no, but my experience with human nature says otherwise.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english

On 2/4/2022 at 1:29 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Repeat from other thread but just read about the NFL investigation of the Washington Football Team. Findings cannot be released unless BOTH sides agree to the release. To put that into DCIs world, a corps could have a problem, be investigated and no one (members, potential members, parents) would know what happened. Hope DCI doesn’t get ideas.

What was the quote from Pioneer few years back “what goes on in the corps, stays in the corps”. 👎

And, according to the Real Sports podcast, which interviewed a number of the victims, the only side which doesn't want to release the findings is, you guessed it, the Washington Football Team.

https://advocacyforfairnessinsports.org/feature-stories/nfl/real-sports-podcast-lays-bare-how-washington-commanders-staff-terrorized-women-on-the-job/

On 2/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Can’t find the previous post (maybe in other thread) but comparisons between DCI and NFL structure. Washington Football team has been hit with various charges and NFL investigated. Head of NFL ruled NONE of the findings will be released unless NFL head and team owners agree to the release. (Wouldn’t some corps with problems love being able to hide info.)

Today Congress said not so fast, we want to see the findings because they can be hidden. 

Before anyone complains about politicians sticking their nose in, this happened before in the early 1960s. Redskins were last team to integrate and only did so because the would lose use of the municipal stadium if they continued to be segregated.

I think there are even more striking comparisons between the drum corps activity, the gymnastics activity, and the cheerleading activity. All three are amateur activities, focused mainly on young people, all with "elite" level competitive groups, and all of which have had issues with abusers within their respective activities and either a lack of action by the governing bodies or an active attempt to hide the abuse and silence the victims.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

I think there are even more striking comparisons between the drum corps activity, the gymnastics activity, and the cheerleading activity. All three are amateur activities, focused mainly on young people, all with "elite" level competitive groups, and all of which have had issues with abusers within their respective activities and either a lack of action by the governing bodies or an active attempt to hide the abuse and silence the victims.

No argument there Kevin. Just happen to know more about the WFT/NFL problems as live 2 hours away. And have in laws who are die hard fans of that team. 🤮

7 hours ago, lowend said:

DCI needs to take a look at what's going on with the Southern Baptists right now.  Decades of sexual abuse covered up and allowed to continue under the guise of "the churches are self-governing, independent organizations, and the Southern Baptist Convention only exists for three days each year with no power to defrock abusers because they are licensed by the local, independent churches."  Sure sounds a lot like "the corps are independent organizations that hire their own staff and we're just the show promoters."  It's not going to end well for either group.

Southern Baptist have sex?  (sorry) :whistle: :spitting: