And the floodgates are opening

29 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

And the International Olympic Committee.  I don't think the "Russian Committee" should be there nor should China have been allowed to host the event. 

Not a peep from the IOC et al after tennis player Seng Shuai’s obviously coerced hostage interview. You would have to have your head in the sand not to think a pervy party official didn’t think he was entitled to violate her person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I wish there was a disgust reaction icon. Sexual abuse / harassment  by a coach is no laughing matter.

As a life long educator, no one needs to lecture me on the seriousness of sexual abuse and harassment.  My post was specifically aimed at a few people HERE on dcp calling for us to "burn it all down" in response to the horrific events at SOA.   There has been no shortage of righteous indignation here on DCP, and  my sarcasm in this regard was by design not subtle.  Having said that, my point was that whether it is drum corps, Olympic teams, or college hazing, no level of hyperventilating on dcp is going to affect any change in what is in fact criminal behavior by some.

42 minutes ago, craiga said:

As a life long educator, no one needs to lecture me on the seriousness of sexual abuse and harassment.  My post was specifically aimed at a few people HERE on dcp calling for us to "burn it all down" in response to the horrific events at SOA.   There has been no shortage of righteous indignation here on DCP, and  my sarcasm in this regard was by design not subtle.  Having said that, my point was that whether it is drum corps, Olympic teams, or college hazing, no level of hyperventilating on dcp is going to affect any change in what is in fact criminal behavior by some.

I’ll just bring up its more than this one incident that supposedly happened at SoA. And more than one corps over the last few years. 
IMO what will help to cut down on the criminal behavior is the powers that be (DCI) actually take a hard stand against corps that turn a blind eye to abuse. I still don’t see that and doubt if I will see it as long as DCI members police themselves. And yes living 2 hours from Penn State and hearing ad nauseam what happened when they policed themselves is forming my bias.

Don't think we need to burn down DCI. Way it’s going its one lawsuit from Hell from destroying itself.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Two short sentences does not a lecture make. Further, I never claimed to be righteous, but I am indignant. Not subtle? Mission accomplished.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’ll just bring up its more than this one incident that supposedly happened at SoA. And more than one corps over the last few years. 
IMO what will help to cut down on the criminal behavior is the powers that be (DCI) actually take a hard stand against corps that turn a blind eye to abuse. I still don’t see that and doubt if I will see it as long as DCI members police themselves. And yes living 2 hours from Penn State and hearing ad nauseam what happened when they policed themselves is forming my bias.

Don't think we need to burn down DCI. Way it’s going its one lawsuit from Hell from destroying itself.

I live 70 miles from where Larry Nassar feathered his nest, so I hear ya.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, craiga said:

well lets be honest...DCI had a massive wake up call just shy of 4 years ago. and from what we have seen, the organization, which is the member corps and those they appoint to positions have learned jack ####. they continue to be reactive as opposed to proactive. as more has come to light about how Spirit #### multiple beds, continuing with the ir facebook page at times makes one wonder why it SHOULDN'T be burnt the hell down.

s they continue to do little to A) nip this #### in the bud and B) truly crack down on the offending persons and organizations, i have come to realize they are one lawsuit away from doing it to themselves.

I'd much rather have a strong and thriving DCI where these issues are dealt with promptly and if need be severely. But as long as the inmates tun the asylum i doubt it'll happen.

i do want to congratulate you though...i wasn't going to do a d###### posts on DCP column for DCAf since we record tomorrow. i'm now reconsidering

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

and the NCAA did jack #### to Michigan State

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I don't believe, in all honesty, that the corps have the ability to police themselves. Individual corps, maybe so, but every corps, clearly not. I am 100% certain that there are great organizations out there who do most if not all, of the right things. That being said, there is no reporting system (that I have been aware of,) to make corps aware of past allegations against certain individuals, proven or otherwise. That's important. I feel sometimes like I am back in high school and the only "reporting" is the word of mouth "stay away from him...he's trouble and I hear he eats babies" kind of thing. SOMEONE should be keeping a database. Of course for that to happen, you have to enforce mandatory reporting, etc. 

There are many things that need to change. I was talking to a former corps buddy last week about this very topic and the subject came up of "But where do you start?" The answer is simple: "Start somewhere %$%$ it!"

• Thanks 3