DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

18 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

Watching the performances in reverse order on Flo, Cavaliers, Blue Stars and BAC are my favorite so far. I’ll have to give Bluecoats another chance later. I felt like I was watching a Blue Knights show, but I usually like Blue Knights shows.

I’m really digging The Crossmen too. It’s going to be a fantastic year!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

The judges are going to eat the #### out of Bluecoats show all season. I'm not the biggest Bloo fan but IMO BD has the only show that can top Bluecoats. I don't want either of them to win (would rather have Vanguard or Crown), but IMO these two have a leg up on everyone in design this year.

Bloo is interesting, pit, battery guard, soloists, drill, design are all great. But I felt nearly no personal weight to their full ensemble moments, felt much more of that from their 2019 show, thankfully I get to see a mid season bloo and most top 12 corps at Denton in person so they can change my mind. I also wouldn’t count out Crown from top 2 either, it’ll take a few jointed at the hip shows between these two to see what the scoring trends will be. That’s not even factoring SCV and BD. BD is probably the only certainty for me at this point

• Like 1

First show and the judges need to get their sea legs back. Remember, they have not scored a drum corps show in almost three years. I expect scores for all corps will jump substantially over the next week.

Watching the show tonight I was happy Phantom appears to be a solid finalist. 

Crossmen appear young, but will improve. If any one new jumps into the top 12 unfortunately I think it will be at the Crossmen’s expense.

Blue Stars could have a special year. I expect to see their scores to climb quickly. This may be their best show since Houdini. I agree their percussion seemed behind the other sections, but that might be more a staging issue that could get fixed. We’ll see.

BAC was very good and may be able to challenge for a top four spot. My only nit to pick is they might not be doing anything new on the field. They do everything great, but usually a medalist corps does something that moves the activity forward creatively.

Cavaliers are awesome this year. I don’t know if they will finish above sixth place, but I will bet the tear the house down in Indy. 

Bluecoats are moving the activity forward creatively. They are challenging the audience and judges with their show. Combine that with excellence in all areas and you have a championship contender.

• Like 4

That's the most whacked Bloo show to date... by a long shot.

This might be the only real commentary that I will have time to give this year, as life is crazy busy lately.

But jeepers.  This program is like a Slurpee tumor immediately following a jalapeño sinus cleansing.

If they cram in some more brass features and a couple more visual impacts near the end... then they very well may take BD on their own terms of gratuitous exhibition of pretentious BS.

I hope my Coats pull it out, but the aesthetics are a bit off the mother ship for me.

Killer execution and imagination though.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got in late from rehearsal. Only caught Bluecoats at the end, but that was a BIG WOW! So daring, so brave, and once again Bloo finds a way to take our breath away (or in this case pass the peace pipe and say "just lay back and enjoy, man). This show could be stunning in a few weeks or so as they fine tune the visuals and the closer. 

I just went back and have watched the first 3 corps of the night. 

I love Phantom Regiment. This will be one of my favorite music books of the summer. Watch this brass line roar in a few weeks as endurance and finesse begin to kick in. Only caveat for this show is the props. Either lose them or figure something out. Drill is effective and demanding. Guard is solid and I really like the percussion writing. 

Crossmen: I LOVE the uniforms. Show is solid, readable and should be a contender for top 12 but there is a lot of great competition this year. Mandarins are much stronger with a killer brass line this year. I don't see Xmen topping that, at least not now. We will have to see how they compare with Madison and a few others. 

Blue Stars: A confusing show for me tonight. Just finished watching them. The color palette for the show is odd. The uniforms just do not pop and the props do nothing for me as of now. One of the big problems is that the music book does not seem to have enough elements that draw you in. They need to first find a flow for this show musically, then deal with the visual issues to see if they can find more GE. The performers are fantastic but design staff need to make big adjustments. 

• Like 1

Very proud of BAC tonight! This was arguably their best first show ever, and even some non Boston fans are admitting that this year's show is at a new level. I had said I thought they might win tonight. They came in second so I guess I wasn't far off! We're on to Quincy!!

• Like 2